R8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By R8philSA
  • 1 Post By Dano
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 2 Post By R8philSA

Thread: R8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.

Default R8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.

Hi Guys.
    Thinking out of the square on two very old and rusty headlights I watched a demo on Wrapping a car the other day. With this in mind I thought why not wrap the rusted headlight Reflector dish it's only rusted out in the lower third of the reflector. Bit tricky in getting the Wrap to sit flat but by cutting a few long slots in the solid piece it worked a treat. You all know by know I have a very limited budget to restore the old car, so for $5 for a third of a meter of Chrome Wrap it worked for me.
    Any body out their ever taken the glass out of the reflector?? if so what did you use to seal it back up?? I didn't really want to use silicons as it out gasses and coats the reflector with a cloudy gas deposit.
    Photos say it all.
    Cheers
    Phil

R8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.-dscn1614.jpgR8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.-dscn1617.jpgR8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.-dscn1619.jpgR8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.-dscn1620.jpg

Advertisement
    Bustamif, Sunroof and jaahn like this.

Fellow Frogger!

The wrap is a great solution for the intended use of the car. Bearing that use in mind, I would not worry about using silicone to glue the glass in, however I am sure there will be some gurus here with very good suggestions.

You can get a clear epoxy that you can use.
    I love the idea. Interesting article I read say that the reflector has to be re-silvered. If re-chromed the beam will be a dull red one. Not sure how yours will turn out but it sure looks good.
    Frans.

Phil,
    Sikaflex make a product for this purpose, see image below. It comes in two sizes, caulking gun inserts or handy squeeze tubes. From experience, a squeeze tube is all you need. It is more expensive then silicone. Bunnings stock both, but I'm sure any decent hardware or auto spare parts outlets would have it.

Dano
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1805.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	95580
    baldrick56 likes this.

1000+ Posts

This also seems as if it might be a solution to the plastic chrome strip on the rear bumper of R15/17's. I haven't seen a good one in many years. I have tried chrome spray and it goes dull pretty quickly. The plastic becomes all cracked and broken. So perhaps chrome wrap is the way to go.
    Shoji likes this.

On another Forum a guy in Qld wrapped the diff of his old Valiant Panel Van as he couldn't afford to Chrome it.

Looks very good (for a chromed diff!)and from a distance you wouldn't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    You can get a clear epoxy that you can use.
    I love the idea. Interesting article I read say that the reflector has to be re-silvered. If re-chromed the beam will be a dull red one. Not sure how yours will turn out but it sure looks good.
    Frans.
    Hi Fran
    I just finished connecting the bulbs up and ran a trial on high and low beam. Fantastic, as good as new reflectors and for $5, unbelievable.
    All I have to do now is give the front a bit of attention and fit the headlights,, did I say "a bit of attention"
    I have fitted 100/60 halogens and I never really intend to do long night drives in the car anyway.
    Cheers for now, back to the resto!!
    Phil
    R8 Barn Find (BARNIE) Headlight resto.-dscn1266.jpg
    baldrick56 and Shoji like this.

Excellent idea.
    I have a R12 kangaroo light where the silver has lifted from the spot reflector (as they do) so I might give it a go on this.
    My only concern would be with the heat from the bulb will eventually result in either lifting or discolouring the wrap.
    But once you do it once you just open up the light and replace the wrap again.
    I've seen the stick-on chrome strips that are about an inch (and other sizes) wide, they might be easier to fit to a small area.
    Although body-wrap is made to stretch and conform to contours like swage lines etc. so might be better for shaping.

Regarding your fitting 100/60 halogens, beware as apart from obviously drawing more current than the standard 40/45 Watt bulbs, the higher wattage bulbs run far hotter so could damage the silvering on the reflectors. The equivalent LED headlamp bulbs would be better (if you can get them) or separate driving lights for when you need them.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Thread Information