Cold Air intake R8
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cold Air intake R8

Default Cold Air intake R8

Hello All,
    A few years ago I experimented with a cold air intake on my R8 utilizing piping. It wasn't very successful as it bogged and ran like doo doo. I have surmised that the pipe was far too small. The piping terminated through the original intake hole above the radiator and I utilized a K&N cone filter. I am currently running the same K&N filter directly on the carb. Obviously, this is not conducive for proper cooling. What diameter piping should I use? My stock air cleaner set up is currently store in a box, buried in a storage unit and I therefore cannot measure the diameter of the stock tubing. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ben

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

The stock diam hose should be OK for a stock motor, carby, cam, exhaust etc. The id is the same as the od on the carby inlet where the stock air cleaner sits.

If you are not worried about originality and want more cool air to the carby neatly make a larger hole in the radiator panel at the existing opening and run a larger dia hose. There are various aftermarket ducts and plastic fittings you could use to connect the hose to the panel.

I made a custom setup for my 1400 engine with headers, cam and a 45 DCOE Weber.

Cold Air intake R8-tri2da4.jpg

In the absence of a proper R8/10 air cleaner housing, how about looking around a wrecking yard for a suitable old “frying pan” type air cleaner, which could be adapted to the carby already in place. Flexible trunking could then go from the intake on the air cleaner to the inlet on the rear radiator panel. A bonus would potentially be an air filter element that is easy to source.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Back in the day??, I used a Fiat 125 filter on my down draught Weber. It fitted straight on and worked very well and I connected it to the intake on the radiator panel as per Simon above. It worked well and the elements were readily available.

FYI

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    The stock diam hose should be OK for a stock motor, carby, cam, exhaust etc. The id is the same as the od on the carby inlet where the stock air cleaner sits.

If you are not worried about originality and want more cool air to the carby neatly make a larger hole in the radiator panel at the existing opening and run a larger dia hose. There are various aftermarket ducts and plastic fittings you could use to connect the hose to the panel.

I made a custom setup for my 1400 engine with headers, cam and a 45 DCOE Weber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRI2DA4.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	95542
    Glad you put this up Bustamif. I'm always considering ideas to replace the crap set up that is on the Barn Find. The photo of the left hand rear inner guard shows a huge cutout but it doesn't bring air in through the guard, I think who ever owned this car experimented with it.
    Cheers
    PhilCold Air intake R8-dscn1368.jpg

Cold Air intake R8-dscn1192.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Phil, I know its been on here many times before but this is my 16TS version.

Cold Air intake R8-tri97fb.jpg Cold Air intake R8-trice39.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Phil I also recall that Frans has a good setup that would suit your car which has no radiator panel. His is a very tidy aluminium sheet airbox that feeds cold air in to the carbs from the grill in the engine lid. It was in another thread on airboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    Phil, I know its been on here many times before but this is my 16TS version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRI97FB.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	95577 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRICE39.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	95578
    That is seriously a good neat job, and looks like it works very well.
    Cheers
    Phil

Fellow Frogger!

Cold Air intake R8-thumb_img_1386_1024.jpg

Here's a photo of the cold air box I installed in my Alpine A110. Two aluminium panels quarantine the right rear rear guard from the engine bay. Cold air is drawn in thru the flute on top of the rear guard and filters are located on the inside.

Hello All,
    I fashioned an intake out of some tubing I had... The car ran well without the cone filter, but obviously I need a filter element. Any suggestions on anything less restrictive...any suggestions/ comments/ advice appreciated. Cheers! Ben
    Cold Air intake R8-20170423_195244-1-.jpg

I’m not a big fan of them, but will the cone filter fit onto the tube in that radiator intake area? Or a foam sock filter over the end.

I’d still be going to the wreckers to find a suitable air cleaner to fit……… :-)

Also find a plug to go in the hole over the radiator filler cap, the same size plug covers the holes in the floor where the front upper wishbone pivots go through - or sometimes the holes in the rear footwells. Failing another donor car to supply a plug, something like a large bathplug or laundry tub plug should suit.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Hey Simon...I'll sort something out for the end. I am thinking a foam sock filter might work best. I will be digging out the stock cleaner in the coming month. In the meantime I will keep my eye open in the classifieds for a suitable donor. Cheers for the advice on the radiator filler.....looks like another trip to the hardware store is in order! Cheers! Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I’m not a big fan of them, but will the cone filter fit onto the tube in that radiator intake area? Or a foam sock filter over the end.

I’d still be going to the wreckers to find a suitable air cleaner to fit……… :-)

Also find a plug to go in the hole over the radiator filler cap, the same size plug covers the holes in the floor where the front upper wishbone pivots go through - or sometimes the holes in the rear footwells. Failing another donor car to supply a plug, something like a large bathplug or laundry tub plug should suit.

Just remember with using the sock filter there is a lesser surface area than a normal folded paper or cone type filter, so more frequent cleaning may be required, especially being located in the dusty area of the car.

However the intake tubing you have in place makes it easy to plumb in a jet to give it a dodgy shot of nitrous…..
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Haha... I will let you know how the shot of nitrous does against the tuner boys here in SoCal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just remember with using the sock filter there is a lesser surface area than a normal folded paper or cone type filter, so more frequent cleaning may be required, especially being located in the dusty area of the car.

However the intake tubing you have in place makes it easy to plumb in a jet to give it a dodgy shot of nitrous…..

I received the velocity stack with screen for the end of the intake. Worked well, but obviously not conducive to cylinder life, especially with the wild dust winds we have had here recently. I cut up a nicely oiled UNI foam filter and mounted it over the velocity stack as a pre filter. Went to a new Cars and Coffee today and it ran great. Now to find an appropriate cover for the radiator filler hole.
    Cold Air intake R8-20170428_182707.jpgCold Air intake R8-20170428_203952.jpg

It would be worthwhile preparing a few of your filters to go on the end. Given the small surface area, it probably won't take long for them to become relatively clogged with dust.

As for the radiator cap hole, a couple od strips of good gaffer tape, or a trimmed piece from a big sheet of gaffer will likely do as a temporary measure. Even a decoupage smiley face.........

Also what is on the RHS of the radiator panel, next to the radiator where the coolant bottle usually goes, that looks like there is another big hole there......
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

1000+ Posts

I am an advocate of cold air boxes. But . . . .

No matter how beautifully made & neat & tidy & whatnot, one trouble with most of what is fitted is, I suggest, the shrouding of the intake into the ram tubes by the "squeezed in to the space available" proportions of the box.

I simply had the inner guard "cut & shut" to provide a ledge on which to sit a large (simple alloy sheet fabrication) air box. It feeds from the space at the side of the radiator through a hole cut in the shroud & with a vertical divider - R8G style - to separate it from the radiator air flow. Filter is a vertical K & N with an area greater than twice the area of the throats to be supplied (a "rule of thumb" minimum advised to me).

It's too heavy to hang off the carby & thus, to accommodate engine rock, the ram tubes poke through holes in a flexible rubber sheet.

Not sexy but it is a functional design & I rather like it. YMMV

The below photo has been posted in an earlier thread.

cheers: Peter

Cold Air intake R8-p1030186.jpg

I'm still waiting for someone to just dump a Pod fiter on top of the carb and cut a hole in the boot for it to stick out like a garden gnome

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information