A new Captur, any ideas, good or bad ??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: A new Captur, any ideas, good or bad ??

1000+ Posts

Default A new Captur, any ideas, good or bad ??

Hi
    I was filling in a bit of time at the local Renault dealer over Easter. Ogling the expensive sheetmetal etc. Lots of foreign exotic brands from all over to distract us! Bloody black interiors seem to be de rigueur for all brands. Whose sh*t idea was that

Advertisement

However back to the Captur. I was a bit taken by these mini SUVs, mainly by the ease of getting in and out. The height seems just right, not too low, not too high for old stoops like us. The room is good for a smaller family city car and the super powerful 1200cc Turbo/DSG model is beyond description. Would you believe 4 cylinders in this model ! What will they think of next ? The economy looks excellent, seems as good as a diesel without the down side ! Premium petrol required though.

My question to the assembled experts is this ; what car is it based on, what problems are known, what virtues are known, and are there any known unknowns that I should really know about them

A quick look at the net prices reveals that it may be possible to get a slightly older new one for a good price. Seems like Renaults' habit of letting new cars mature in the paddock for a while to pre-depreciate applies to them currently.

Bring on the discussion !
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 19th April 2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

I think I'm picking one up on sat morning for mum…
    Looking forward to it.
    Drove a used 10k km model they had in the show room, which was enough of a taste.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

I helped buy one for my in-laws awhile ago, after their V6 Laguna was getting a bit old. They are very happy with their purchase.
    It's really just a Clio, so any issues will likely be the same. Unlike in Europe it sells nowhere like the Clio had for some odd reason.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Quote Originally Posted by leithant View Post
    Unlike in Europe it sells nowhere like the Clio had for some odd reason.
    I don't think it is priced competitively.
    Jo
    bigkev414 and Kenfuego like this.

2016 plated Capturs are going cheap with good deals at your local Renault dealers. I'm trying to talk the other half into swapping her Megane soft-top for one, as getting in and out of it is becoming difficult for both of us!
    Kenfuego likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

1000+ Posts

A partial list:

Merits:
    - good internal space & adaptability.

Demerits:
    - coarse double clutch transmission (latest Clios, on which the Captur is based, are apparently not as jerky in traffic but I'm unsure if that change is here yet - drive before you buy).
    - dynamically sub-average

Suggestion: go & talk to your Mazda dealer

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

We did go to the Mazda place, and still bought one!
    As an aside the Renault dealer staff were in another league to all the other brands we visited.
    As for the driving experience, everyone had different prioities, go drive a few different options and make up your own mind.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Kenfuego likes this.
    95 Peugeot 306 S16

Recently changed cars - went especially to drive the Captur but a bit short of legroom for me 6'1" but like the colours. I drove one for bout 1/2 hour (auto petrol) but by the time we got back to the dealership I just didn't want it. I can't really say why....jerky transmission?...odd gearing?...ride was jiggly....dunno really but I just thought the Clio was better but seemed too small inside. All Renaults are too expensive now in my opinion, and couldn't find anything I preferred to my 2010 Megane.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I went about looking at some new 'other' cars today. Sat in a few and tried the back seats too. I did not drive any, just looked and fended off sales people. None took my fancy really. Also the sticker price looks high for some brands but that may be flexible if I get serious.
    The bloody seats in most were hard hard hard, black and not particularly comfortable to my backside . Style over substance. The best were in a Suzuki SX4 I would say ? I also note that lower profile tires on bigger rims are universal fitment for the more expensive models on every brand, to ensure the ride is degraded from the original designed idea, just like the Capture. Am I the odd one out here or what
    Not to mention the selection of boring white appliances with black interiors most are offering ! At least the Capture looks better than most ! Also some "popular" brands do not get the newer extras in the base models until you spend up quite a bit.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 23rd April 2017 at 07:50 PM.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Good deals, good prices...time to buy? Interested

Loaned our Megane for a couple of weeks so its back to the Laguna full time and quite a few things to do, and it is probably time for selecting the next replacement, so interested in what is offering at the moment, so keep the comments coming on what is offering "out there in dealer land" .

Interested in your emergency purchase Jo!!

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Forgot about the Suzuki! - it's meant to be a great drive apparently and good value.
    95 Peugeot 306 S16

We have a couple of Froggers on this site who have not only gone over to the dark side, we have some people who have actively discredited Renault products and who obviously enjoy trying to influence potential new buyers of same with negative comments. One can read as much constructive criticism of the love of our lives in the motoring press as you could possibly desire, who needs untrained journo's to be heaping extra negativity on the brand in a closed forum with impunity?

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Just a human trait that justify's choice, or tries too

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    We have a couple of Froggers on this site who have not only gone over to the dark side, we have some people who have actively discredited Renault products and who obviously enjoy trying to influence potential new buyers of same with negative comments. One can read as much constructive criticism of the love of our lives in the motoring press as you could possibly desire, who needs untrained journo's to be heaping extra negativity on the brand in a closed forum with impunity?
    Hey kim its like conversion in a religious sense and mixed with a human desire to diss what one turns their back on and praise their present choice. My conversion was the other way, Di introduced me to Renaults late in life and it has been an enjoyable experience, especially learning the French mechanics/engineering side of things where the impossible becomes possible if you turn the replacement part in a certain direction/slant and it slips right in..

then there are the learned quirks and our cars have them and when we used to display the older Renaults, there is always someone that comes up, fondly looks at your car and says wistfully, I used to own one of those cars and I regret the day I sold it!.

That probably doesn't work the same for what we see as just a means of transport and one step from the next purchase, sort of like handing down or recycling that is popular these days, after all get rid of it before it costs money which rules some. I sort of hope I am still around and attend a display in years to come and hear someone praising an old Renault that is a modern of today

Ican't see me dissing my Renaults, that ownership has been interesting and quirky, and you learn to love that and gestalt takes care of the odd rough or costly experience over time.... Sh*t happens!

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Hey kim its like conversion in a religious sense and mixed with a human desire to diss what one turns their back on and praise their present choice. My conversion was the other way, Di introduced me to Renaults late in life and it has been an enjoyable experience, especially learning the French mechanics/engineering side of things where the impossible becomes possible if you turn the replacement part in a certain direction/slant and it slips right in..

then there are the learned quirks and our cars have them and when we used to display the older Renaults, there is always someone that comes up, fondly looks at your car and says wistfully, I used to own one of those cars and I regret the day I sold it!.

That probably doesn't work the same for what we see as just a means of transport and one step from the next purchase, sort of like handing down or recycling that is popular these days, after all get rid of it before it costs money which rules some. I sort of hope I am still around and attend a display in years to come and hear someone praising an old Renault that is a modern of today

Ican't see me dissing my Renaults, that ownership has been interesting and quirky, and you learn to love that and gestalt takes care of the odd rough or costly experience over time.... Sh*t happens!

Ken.
    I never remember the (considerable driveshafts) expense involved with any of my former 1967-1974 Renault purchases, until I compare them to my last two Regie purchases since 1999, which have been totally economical!
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

No doubt disloyally to the tribal gods, I advocate the rational process of identifying what properties one wants one's car to have, prioritising them & then seeing what cars best satisfy them. I was not aware that AussieFrogs was only to be a forum for singing hymns of praise to favoured marques.

The solution to noticing from a quick scan that a post is not adequately complying with one's prejudices is to avert one's eyes from the ungodly & choose not to read it closely.

Goodness!
    Steve Turner likes this.

I looked at a Captur a couple of years ago, soon after they first came out. They're basically a Clio with a taller body. They just didn't feel as sweet as the Clio on the twisty bits, then again I guess they're not supposed to be. At the time Clio deals weren't that great, so I ended up spending the money on an overseas holiday.

The main gripe I have with them is the price compared to a Clio. The current Renault deal price sees them $7k more than the Clio. Sure the interior is more flexible and they have two-tone paint, but I just don't see the value over the Clio sitting in the same showroom.

Having said that, there's some 2015 build models with under 100km at dealers for $22k on road, or $5k off the current Renault deal price.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    No doubt disloyally to the tribal gods, I advocate the rational process of identifying what properties one wants one's car to have, prioritising them & then seeing what cars best satisfy them. I was not aware that AussieFrogs was only to be a forum for singing hymns of praise to favoured marques.

The solution to noticing from a quick scan that a post is not adequately complying with one's prejudices is to avert one's eyes from the ungodly & choose not to read it closely.

Goodness!
    In view of your apparent personal and public disdain for Renault products, I'd suggest that if you want to flog a competitors product, buy an ad in a newspaper. This forum exists for the benefit of current and future Renault owners, not for someone to tout their personal choice of a replacement.....
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 25th April 2017 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I looked at a Captur a couple of years ago, soon after they first came out. They're basically a Clio with a taller body. They just didn't feel as sweet as the Clio on the twisty bits, then again I guess they're not supposed to be. At the time Clio deals weren't that great, so I ended up spending the money on an overseas holiday.

The main gripe I have with them is the price compared to a Clio. The current Renault deal price sees them $7k more than the Clio. Sure the interior is more flexible and they have two-tone paint, but I just don't see the value over the Clio sitting in the same showroom.

Having said that, there's some 2015 build models with under 100km at dealers for $22k on road, or $5k off the current Renault deal price.
    The Captur's major advantage over a Clio becomes apparent when you pass 70. Entry and egress do not require a contortionist's training or heavy lifting equipment........
    Kenfuego and DanielBendigo like this.

The Captur's major advantage over a Clio becomes apparent when you pass 70.
    mum is 81…..even more advantage to be seen.
    She is now waiting for her new capture to be delivered from victoria, Should be seeing it in 10 days or so.

Jo
    Kim Luck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    mum is 81…..even more advantage to be seen.
    She is now waiting for her new capture to be delivered from victoria, Should be seeing it in 10 days or so.

Jo
    81??????????????????????????????/

I would have said late 60s. Wow!

Dave
    jo proffi and STALLED like this.
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm !

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    No doubt disloyally to the tribal gods, I advocate the rational process of identifying what properties one wants one's car to have, prioritising them & then seeing what cars best satisfy them. I was not aware--- favoured marques.
    The -------& choose not to read it closely. Goodness!
    Hi Peter
    Well I do try to be a bit objective when buying most things and we did get the Toyota I drive now by that method However I do believe in letting a few non logical feelings have some reign too, for a long term feel good hit Otherwise why would I be interested in French cars ?? I am not a masochist and just doing it for the pain
    So I was hoping for some feel good feedback from having a Renault Captur. So far they appear to be few and far between, but the comfort factor is at the top priority as long as the reliability factor is not at the bottom, or the everday driving is bad. It is hard to read between the lines on the reports.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 26th April 2017 at 08:31 PM.

So I suppose that I shouldn't post this, lest it disrupt the natives?

Classic, Muscle & Barn Finds Auto Auction - VIC - Lot 43
    Last edited by Steve Turner; 26th April 2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: www.lloydsauction .com.au
    Previously (not in order):
    '52 Morris Minor Woodie
    56 Morris Minor 4 door Sedan
    56 Riley Pathfinder
    64 Morris 1100
    63 EJ Holden
    67 XR Falcon Fairmont
    70 Corolla SL twin carb
    74 Volkswagen Kombi Camper
    75 XB Falcon Sedan
    75 XB Falcon 302 Coupe
    75 Renault 16TS
    75 Corolla 4 door
    79 BMW 733i
    80 Datsun 200B Sedan
    86 VN Calais
    86 Falcon S Pack Wagon
    87 Nissan Skyline 4 door sedan
    95 Ford Mondeo sedan

Currently:
    06 Peugeot 307 HDI Wagon
    61 Renault 4CV Gordini (Kermit)

Unable to open your link from the page, Steve!

An Error Has Occurred

Please use your back button in your browser and try again.

If this error continues to occur please contact the system administrator.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

1000+ Posts

Steve's link used to bring up this page

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Steve's link used to bring up this page

Cheers

Alec
    Thanks Alec! The Falcon GTHO Phase Three is certainly collectable, to the point where many thousands more GTHO's exist than ever came out of the Ford factory!
    Armidillo and jaahn like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information