A new Captur, any ideas, good or bad ?? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: A new Captur, any ideas, good or bad ??

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    ...or the everday driving is bad. It is hard to read between the lines on the reports.
    Jaahn
    On the day we took the 10k km used capture for a drive we also took a new cheap holden SUV of about the same price ($20k) for a spin.

The difference was chalk and cheese..the Kapture felt like a much more premium product which made the Gm suv feel like the POS it really was.
    I can't remember anything bad about the capture. Obviously comparing it to my megane sports, it was a bit slow, but in every other regard it was good.

Counting the days till we have one in the drive.
    That will be a proud renault driveway….a Koleos and a capture.

Advertisement

Jo
    jaahn, Kenfuego, Kim Luck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    On the day we took the 10k km used capture for a drive we also took a new cheap holden SUV of about the same price ($20k) for a spin.

The difference was chalk and cheese..the Kapture felt like a much more premium product which made the Gm suv feel like the POS it really was.
    I can't remember anything bad about the capture. Obviously comparing it to my megane sports, it was a bit slow, but in every other regard it was good.

Counting the days till we have one in the drive.
    That will be a proud renault driveway….a Koleos and a capture.

Jo
    The Opel version (Mokka) of the Trax is pitched against the Captur in Europe. Despite their similarities in size and market segment, they're quite different cars, with the Trax being engineered for AWD. The Trax is more gruff and designed for larger engines and is a slightly larger car (like the Mitsubishi ASX, Peugeot 4008 and Nissan Qashqai is a half a segment larger) than the Captur. Then again the Captur is designed for Europe where as the Trax tries to be something for all markets. The Mokka in Europe in both Eastern and Western European markets, as well as the Trax in Asia, Oceania and North America.

When developing the Captur, Renault had the choice of using the Juke or Clio platforms. They went with the Clio platform as the Juke was engineered for AWD making it around 100kg heavier (even in 2WD form). It does mean the Captur will never be available in AWD, but only a very small percentage of the market even think they need AWD let alone actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    The Opel version (Mokka) of the Trax is pitched against the Captur in Europe. Despite their similarities in size and market segment, they're quite different cars, with the Trax being engineered for AWD. The Trax is more gruff and designed for larger engines and is a slightly larger car (like the Mitsubishi ASX, Peugeot 4008 and Nissan Qashqai is a half a segment larger) than the Captur. Then again the Captur is designed for Europe where as the Trax tries to be something for all markets. The Mokka in Europe in both Eastern and Western European markets, as well as the Trax in Asia, Oceania and North America.

When developing the Captur, Renault had the choice of using the Juke or Clio platforms. They went with the Clio platform as the Juke was engineered for AWD making it around 100kg heavier (even in 2WD form). It does mean the Captur will never be available in AWD, but only a very small percentage of the market even think they need AWD let alone actually do.

Nvh on the base model trax I tested was off the scale. It was just so rugged that I can't imagine ever enjoying a ride in one.
    Think old hyundai excel type NVH.

Also, the brakes were that bad, they wouldn't even lock up on wet autumn leaves.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

While the Captur may be based on the Clio the rear legroom is way better as you sit up higher and your legs drop down.I saw 4 pretty big guys get out of one and they said it was comfortable so i checked it out.That and the ease of entry are big advantages.I think it would be easy to chip the motor up to the same output that it has in the Megane if you wanted to and they go pretty well with the 1.2.

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    In view of your apparent personal and public disdain for Renault products, I'd suggest that if you want to flog a competitors product, buy an ad in a newspaper. This forum exists for the benefit of current and future Renault owners, not for someone to tout their personal choice of a replacement.....
    good on yer mate

(it was always an error to break a past decision that you were the one frogger I should not bother to have any interaction with; the misjudgement won't recur)

Clio on stilts. I love my Ciio, but wouldn't trade the handling for access or height.

Meh, am about to trade it on a new Alfa Guiletta for SWMBO and I'll take on the old meg2 sedan (woo - more money for a new Canyon Spectral and a trip to Moab).
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Clio on stilts. I love my Ciio, but wouldn't trade the handling for access or height.

<snip>.
    curiously, there's talk of a Captur RS.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    good on yer mate

(it was always an error to break a past decision that you were the one frogger I should not bother to have any interaction with; the misjudgement won't recur)
    Was that some kind of interaction? I'm now confused....
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Meh, am about to trade it on a new Alfa Guiletta for SWMBO and I'll take on the old meg2 sedan (woo - more money for a new Canyon Spectral and a trip to Moab).
    Moab, Jordan, or Moab, Utah?
    It's another lovely day! Again!

If I had to buy a new car today, I dunno what I'd get.
    Like most, I'd read up, do some homework, etc, see what other think.

I'd have to say, tho, if I did the same "back in the day" ... and believed what I read, I'd probably never have owned the slew of Citroens that have been my favourite cars, and the occasional Renaults.

I've ended up with a few car purchases over time that were unexpected, (eg Honda, Audi) and only because I drove them and made up my mind.

Worse, I think that motoring journo's these days are largely a homogenous lot, with perverse pragmatism.
    Some of the prior century writers had flair ...and taste ...(LJK Setright).

Anyway, whatever, go drive a few, see what others think, then decide, based on your own emotions.
    I've probably bought many more cars based on "feel" than any other analytical tool.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas
    1986 2CV6
    GS 5 speed sedan

Just picked up the capture. 14 km on clock
    First impressions are…Great seats for my skinny butt.
    Nice zippy engine.
    Cruise control works very well.
    Cheap plastic everywhere.

Easy to drive.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats on the purchase, and yes the seats are more comfy than usual!
    What color?
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Quote Originally Posted by leithant View Post
    Congrats on the purchase, and yes the seats are more comfy than usual!
    What color?
    Thanks.
    It was mum who purchased it….. I bought a used koleos.
    Hate to say it but her seats are nicer to sit in. Mine look and smell better though.
    The colour is by my description latte or caramel-vanila with a black metallic roof.

Mum is going to be the funkiest granny in the carpark!!

Jo
    Kenfuego likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks.

The colour is by my description latte or caramel-vanila with a black metallic roof.

Jo
    Yep that's the colour scheme my wife wants. I used the same coffee analogy.
    She may wait until the next upgrade comes along with a glass roof. I'm unsure if it's an opening sunroof or full glass panel.
    We are thinking of leasing a Kaptur in July when we are in Europe.
    It drives ok but it's not a sports car. The motor is small but willing and it always appears in the right gear as you always have " power " to respond. I agree about the acres of plastic. The sliding rear seat is a touch of practical old school Renault design thinking. There is a hint of Renault 4 about the Kaptur I think. I like it. My wife loves it.
    jo proffi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    It drives ok but it's not a sports car. The motor is small but willing and it always appears in the right gear as you always have " power " to respond.
    Yes, I'd agree with that.
    On the drive home from the dealer the car pulled fine up some decent sydney hills. I didn't even notice the gear changes except for the fact that the tacho needle didn't move around on over run like it would with a hydraulic auto.
    The few times I gave the throttle a good poke I was impressed.
    One thing negative, there was a little bit of vibration or roughness at low revs when first breaking away from standstill.
    Compared to the diesel koleos, the Capture did feel like a sports car, and the hyundai i30 feels like a lambo!!
    Its funny how quickly I've forgotten what a race car the 225 megane was as the diesel Koleos becomes my standard.
    3 month ago the i30 was a tractor, now its a race car by comparison!

At first I didn't like the coffee colour as I though it looked dirty, but that dislike quickly passed. I think the chrome strips on the lower sills really make a nice statement, and the green metallic fleck in the black roof looks great in the sunlight.

Jo
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Thanks.
    It was mum who purchased it….. I bought a used koleos.
    Hate to say it but her seats are nicer to sit in. Mine look and smell better though.
    Mum is going to be the funkiest granny in the carpark!!
    Jo
    Hi Jo
    Would that latte or caramel color be Corsica Orange ??
    I think it's great and with a Ivory White roof, the best combination. Funky YES The black roof looks good but I would never have a black roof let alone a black car. Perhaps in another place and country.
    The subtle metalic flek in all the colors is good out in the sun. Mum did not get the decals on the roof ??
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 12th May 2017 at 10:33 PM.

Hi Jo
    Would that latte or caramel color be Corsica Orange ??
    I think it's great and with a Ivory White roof, the best combination. Funky YES The black roof looks good but I would never have a black roof let alone a black car. Perhaps in another place and country.
    The subtle metalic flek in all the colors is good out in the sun. Mum did not get the decals on the roof ??
    Jaahn
    No, I think its some form of white. The orange is….well… orange.

Mum first liked that colour but then we test drove the holden trax in that colour and it was such a crap experience the association turned her off the colour.

A new Captur, any ideas, good or bad ??-800px-geneva_motorshow_2013_-_renault_captur_white_with_black_roof.jpg
    jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

It's Ivory - my in-laws have the same. They could have had the metallic blue, which I preferred, but no.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    jaahn likes this.
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I had an hours drive in a Capture yesterday. Went good
    The seat is comfortable, the seating position is highish and comfortable, getting in and out good. The front pillars are thick but not too close so not a problem. The ride is a bit less than plush but handles bigger bumps OK and not harsh. That is on 205/60x16" wheels. The lower profile 205/55x17 seem a bit worse. What is the obsession with low profile tires ????????????? I see 195/65x15 on the tire plackard but not on the cars.

I found it had a lot of performance, certainly good enough for us. A little odd and hesitant pulling away sometimes, as the man in the black box is a bit ? and the turbo needs a second to get going but as good as some other dsg's I have driven. The driving experience in town driving was good and easy. A little whine now and then from the box, and the turbo. Pretty impressive for a cheap small car really. A reasonable amount of room for us and the groceries and the grand kids as required. The back seat will take full sized people and you can get your feet in too, not like some brands! The boot area is quite spacious really and can be expanded.

Looking like a candidate for us ! Just have to settle on the color and price. Perhaps a slightly used one even ! Seems a bit more like the flexible interiors of Rennos from previous times.
    The space saver spare looks like a bit better than the average rubbish one too ! Probably fit a standard spare in with some loss of space. I note it is rated to tow a box trailer also which is probably good for us if we give up the SUV size we have.
    Jaahn
    PS Hmm Leithant, I liked the blue one we drove too ! The Ivory hmm, no-o.
    Last edited by jaahn; 16th May 2017 at 09:46 AM.

PS Hmm Leithant, I liked the blue one we drove too ! The Ivory hmm, no-o.
    Silver body black roof looks cool also.
    Jo
    David M likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default A 'new' Captur for moi !

Hi
    Well I do believe there is a Captur in my future ! I have just put a deposit on a very low ks private sale. The color I fancy too ! Sight unseen(physically) as is the wonder of the internet and shrinking borders, as it is in the next state. So it will be a week or a little more in the process(for odd reasons) and a long first drive home.
    We hope those seats are comfortable and the fuel economy is as good as promised. I was thinking it is really comparable to a R8/10 in their day. But the difference is it has an up to date auto transmission and a 1200cc engine which puts out 88kw and 190Nm. You have to do a bit to those old cars to get that out of them. And the handling is better if not so much fun. Hell no sideways motoring any more Perhaps I am happy with that these days !
    Someone said they would not give up the sharper handling of a CLIO for the better access and seating position, but as you get older your perspective changes. Even the safety of having a crash in your pride and joy is a consideration ?? My sister had a person run up the back of her Suzuki and it almost reached her drivers seat. Replaced with a Honda !
    Cheers jaahn
    jo proffi likes this.

Tadpole

Congratulations on your purchase. You mentioned a whine from the box before. I noticed this too. It whines / hums between 50-60 km/hr especially while coasting at that speed range. My sensitive hearing picked it up and i have learnt to now filter it out. Service advisor told me its normal after getting in for a test drive. I have had another issue with the engine consuming oil. Oil level was almost empty at 8,000km. Sorted out by the dealer, there was a leak at the oil pump seals and they also updated the engine management software which was one of the fixes specified by Renault. Done 4,000 kms since, all looks good now.
    jo proffi likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Here is a UK test drive of a Captur; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjHKSSvU-Ig
    Jaahn
    PS It is amazing/scary how the internet, like Utube, offers you stuff like this when you are actually doing something else quite different. BIG BROTHER is certainly watching us

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information