• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Simon

Thread: R8 Gordini Engine

JR1
    Tadpole

Default R8 Gordini Engine

Gents, what is one of these worth? Ballpark. With fully rebuilt carbs and recond engine.
    Appreciate some guidance please.
    Thanks

Advertisement

It’s probably all academic really but, the ballpark is a very big place. 804 or 812? 1108, 1255, 1296, or other? Standard steel sump or alloy? Original carbies? (Solex for 804 or Weber for 812), Original block (with original tag and stamped number). Details of the rebuild, re-ring only or new pistons and sleeves? Details of the parts used etc..

These details, and others, are likely to make changes in price and desirability.

Oh, and even the engine number itself could alter the value if it comes from a known works car……
    Bustamif and driven like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

At least 3x size 12 frozen chickens.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    At least 3x size 12 frozen chickens.

With or without giblets?
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

May get $0.20 a kilo at the scrap metal dealers these days.
    I was lucky I got about $0.30 a kilo when I sold all my redundant Renault parts to the scrap metal dealers

JR1
    Tadpole

Thanks guys, I think mine has giblets. I probably should have been a little more specific.
    I actually have one. I found it in a Caravelle of all things and I posted here back in 2015 asking what on earth have I got.
    Since then I have stripped the Caravalle and have the engine sitting on my bench in the shed. Great compression, in good nick after a clean up and I have totally overhauled the twin webbers. Pics are here if you are interested. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbdh2zajp...skdIEEKja?dl=0
    My home situation is changing and I will potentially be divesting myself of a lot of crap built up over the years. Im thinking about moving on my two Caravelles (one donor vehicle and one complete but stripped) and the Gordini engine but Ive no idea what they are worth. (Queue emails saying, 'I'll give you $1000 for the lot) No idea of the history of this engine, where it originally came from or anything really. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

that looks pretty!

Cue the PM's!

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Hi,

If the engine is stripped and proved to be good, that alone can fetch around 5k. To get this money is going to cost you some work. What I mean by that is to do a compression test or leak test, preferably after it was run a while on a test bench to loosen the rings etc because of the long stand period. Then remove the head and have it pressure tested or maybe the test bench will prove that it is ok.

Who ever buys this will have to look into that breathing system. It sure looks like the breather hoses is in a very high suction area on the intakes. It might suck a huge amount of oil out of the top and circulate it back into the engine causing unnecessary smoke.

Nobody has yet put a dollar figure in this thread for you. So there you have it, lets hear from the others.

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Thanks guys, I think mine has giblets. I probably should have been a little more specific.
    I actually have one. I found it in a Caravelle of all things and I posted here back in 2015 asking what on earth have I got.
    Since then I have stripped the Caravalle and have the engine sitting on my bench in the shed. Great compression, in good nick after a clean up and I have totally overhauled the twin webbers. Pics are here if you are interested. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbdh2zajp...skdIEEKja?dl=0
    My home situation is changing and I will potentially be divesting myself of a lot of crap built up over the years. Im thinking about moving on my two Caravelles (one donor vehicle and one complete but stripped) and the Gordini engine but Ive no idea what they are worth. (Queue emails saying, 'I'll give you $1000 for the lot) No idea of the history of this engine, where it originally came from or anything really. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Did the Caravelle also have the corresponding 5 speed gearbox that goes with the motor?

After talking to many at Griffith recently, it seems that these engines (sometimes in cars) change hands for wildly varying amounts, surprisingly sometimes quite cheaply in my mind. If you can confirm good compressions and can run it for a short time on the bench, without actual dissassembly, my guess is $3500+ for an engine with a lack of history, but Frans number at $5K may well be easily attained comparable to the number of Mexican A110 owners that would like to upgrade, adding value to their car, and the price A110s are currently at.

A while ago two businessmen bought R8G ID plates at auction for some thousands of dollars. They may well have enough parts laying around to build these plates into cars, but an engine would most likely be welcome.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Default r8g engine pricing

I always fine it very interesting to try to get actual values from Renault people it seems that there always is 2 prices one if you want it becomes worth millions so as to speak ???!!! and one if you are trying to sell it ! Than it's worth very little because all the possibilities that could be wrong !

I have acquired several of these engines for my projects and have been watching pricing for the various parts and this is what I have observed !

Head and valve train components are very expensive if you want to stay stock! a head with cracks and no valves or rocker assemblies or a valve cover like the one most recently on E-bay sold for around the $1800.00 mark in the USA meaning USA dollars .

I have heard the comment that you can swap for the R5 1397 heads but you still need the intakes and carb's plus exhaust to be added which at least here in Canada the price quickly creeps up to the same valve of going with the 1255 top end if you are lucky enough to find one .

The bottom short block assembly can be easily cloned once you find a good top end so I can see that the real valve seems to be in the scarce top end assembly but again as mentioned earlier if you need the name tag to make something original it can become worth lots of money dependent on how desperate one is to get a all original car !

And as mentioned earlier cloning some cars are being done !
    I had mentioned to some one an few years back that I had purchased 2 R8G bodies for my Manic platforms and they asked about the tags because they wanted to buy the tags so a couple of cars could be cloned ! the tags had been removed before I got the bodies .

It would be nice to see a few other honest people jump in for this conversation because I sometimes wonder if people are afraid to comment because it could drive up the price of something they are trying to purchase cheap !

It seems unfortunate that there have not been more of these items tracked in the sales to establish a good average pricing guide !

Just a few of my thoughts hope I bid not offend any one !

Manic GT

JR1
    Tadpole

Thankyou gents, feedback most appreciated.

I was less than half interested, but as a spare motor more than anything. It's out of a car from the same batch as mine, with a very close engine number. But if anything went wrong with mine, I'd probably start again with the motor in the car, short of anything catastrophic happening. And they are just too nice a motor to keep as a spare - it deserves to be used.

But getting back to what it is worth, disregarding the usual short arms - deep pocket issue of potential buyers, there are a lot of unknowns which may affect what people think it is worth. As one of circa 60 motors (plus a few likely spares) originally sold in Australia they are a fairly rare item. But being a circa 50 year old motor there are always other questions such as things like head height, rocker gear wear etc, also what kit is in the motor etc. As me using it I'd be pulling it apart first, mainly to find out the details of which side of the rebuild curve the motor is on, also if anything weird has been done to the motor. I'm lazy and lacking in talent, so my rebuild would be close to standard specs, whereas others may wish to develop it to its full potential - hence why there are many different opinions as to what it may be worth.

It may be best to wait for the PM's to roll in, each one of the offers would likely be correct and acceptable based on the buyers perceived level of risk and desire. It comes down to you deciding what you think is reasonable to you. I'm not trying to influence any prices, but just trying to illustrate the considerations when one is presented with nothing more and nothing less than A Motor.

There won't be a PM from me, as whilst I would like it, I don't really need it. Even while I went the long way to the coffee shop last weekend, I was wondering how long I'd likely keep my car.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Default Info on carravelle.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Thanks

Can you elaborate on the car you removed this motor from, IE did it have a 5 speed box & gordini rear end with floor mod? Interested as I helped do a conversion on a Caravelle years ago. The owner painted the car white with dark blue trim. Often wondered its fate.Do you have pics of the car?

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

If you look on eBay the above mentioned Caravelles and R8G engine sold for $5K
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by AJD498 View Post
    Can you elaborate on the car you removed this motor from, IE did it have a 5 speed box & gordini rear end with floor mod? Interested as I helped do a conversion on a Caravelle years ago. The owner painted the car white with dark blue trim. Often wondered its fate.Do you have pics of the car?
    Any idea of the story behind the donor 8G? How did it become a donor? :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Any idea of the story behind the donor 8G? How did it become a donor? :-)
    Once the questions asked re colour of Caravelle and gearbox are answered I can fill in gaps if it is the car I think it is.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    If you look on eBay the above mentioned Caravelles and R8G engine sold for $5K
    Does this now mean that there will be two Caravelles being restored or one ?. Will the R8G engine be used in a Caravelle or an R8G ? Will there soon be some Caravelle parts or engine R8G parts for sale ?

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I didn't bid, though I did message the seller (JR1) if it passed in if I could view as I spent Saturday night in Yass on our way to Canberra and Sydney. I don't know who bought the stash or what will happen to it.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by AJD498 View Post
    Once the questions asked re colour of Caravelle and gearbox are answered I can fill in gaps if it is the car I think it is.
    Other engines from the 1st batch of Daffodil Yellow cars are: 7002, 7024, 7043, 7068, 7174. That leaves 5 unaccounted for.

Do you have any suspicions about which car this engine belonged to? Was it AJD498 (the 1973 Bathurst car)?
    www.r8gordiniregister.com
    1971 Alpine A110 1600S
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

Quote Originally Posted by alpinesau View Post
    Other engines from the 1st batch of Daffodil Yellow cars are: 7002, 7024, 7043, 7068, 7174. That leaves 5 unaccounted for.

Do you have any suspicions about which car this engine belonged to? Was it AJD498 (the 1973 Bathurst car)?
    Definately not from Bathurst car or a yellow gordini.

OK. It must be from a yellow car originally (due to the ID plate number). It may have been swapped into a blue car somewhere along the track, since many of the rally cars were stripped after being crashed.
    www.r8gordiniregister.com
    1971 Alpine A110 1600S
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

Thread Information