R8G colours
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: R8G colours

Default R8G colours

After reading about David's new R8G and how the lids had been blacked out I was wondering if that was some what of a popular thing to do ???
    My car has had that done by the dealer many years ago and I always wondered if it should be part of the rebuild in the future ?

Manic GT

R8G colours-1969_r8_gordini_003.jpgR8G colours-1969_r8_gordini_006.jpg

Advertisement

The matt black bonnet was to stop light reflecting off the bonnet and glaring the driver and navigator. If you look carefully at the pics of David's car you will also note that the headliner has been painted black to minimise reflected light from any cars that managed too get close from behind, which didn't happen very often in the 1970 Australian Rally Championship!

Just wondering with your car, what does the temperature gauge measure in. Fahrenheit or Celcius?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by manicgt View Post
    After reading about David's new R8G and how the lids had been blacked out I was wondering if that was some what of a popular thing to do ???
    My car has had that done by the dealer many years ago and I always wondered if it should be part of the rebuild in the future ?

Manic GT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1969_R8_GORDINI_003.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	95293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1969_R8_GORDINI_006.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	95294
    Painting one's bonnet matt black became popular after the sixties when fighter aircraft displayed the same process on their noses. The idea was to cut down extraneous reflections from the drivers field of view. In extreme cases, like a light coloured car, the inside windscreen pillars , dash, sun visors, headlining and anything else in front of the occupants was also painted matt black. Then they realised that the rest of the car interior was lit up like a beacon from an overtaking car so everything was painted matt black. If you have a rally car from the sixties/seventies and it is not matt black inside and out, it's not a rally car!

P.S; it has become popular for trucks to have acres of highly polished aluminium as bumper bars. Had we realised, the same process could have been used at the rear of your rally car and would have made overtaking really difficult with 4 x 100W lamps shining back at you.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Painting one's bonnet matt black became popular after the sixties when fighter aircraft displayed the same process on their noses. The idea was to cut down extraneous reflections from the drivers field of view. In extreme cases, like a light coloured car, the inside windscreen pillars , dash, sun visors, headlining and anything else in front of the occupants was also painted matt black. Then they realised that the rest of the car interior was lit up like a beacon from an overtaking car so everything was painted matt black. If you have a rally car from the sixties/seventies and it is not matt black inside and out, it's not a rally car!

....is that why you wore the back beret Kim..?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    ....is that why you wore the back beret Kim..?
    My hair was quite dark then Graham, thank you! The beret was an RAAF thing.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Simon the gauge reads in Fahrenheit > This was before Canada went metric ! Maybe some one can tell me why Renault used temp and charging gauges but seemed to be not interested in oil pressure gauges ?

Manic GT

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The matt black bonnet was to stop light reflecting off the bonnet and glaring the driver and navigator. If you look carefully at the pics of David's car you will also note that the headliner has been painted black to minimise reflected light from any cars that managed too get close from behind, which didn't happen very often in the 1970 Australian Rally Championship!

Just wondering with your car, what does the temperature gauge measure in. Fahrenheit or Celcius?

Kim the car has a white head liner so if doing the 60's rally car thing should I also include a black head liner along with the deck lids ??

Manic GT

P.S; it has become popular for trucks to have acres of highly polished aluminium as bumper bars. Had we realised, the same process could have been used at the rear of your rally car and would have made overtaking really difficult with 4 x 100W lamps shining back at you.....

Kim the car has a white head liner so if doing the 60's rally car thing should I also include a black head liner along with the deck lids ??

Manic GT
    Only if you are planning to be passed a lot by other competitors! It is however, distracting to have the inside of the car lighting up like a disco even before you are passing or being passed by another car at night, which was when most rallies/ trials were run in Oz back then, so matt black is a useful theme!

Simon the gauge reads in Fahrenheit > This was before Canada went metric ! Maybe some one can tell me why Renault used temp and charging gauges but seemed to be not interested in oil pressure gauges ?

Manic GT
    Because the Renault engines very rarely suffered oil pressure loss and any time the big red light flashed meant perhaps you should check the dipstick and if it stayed on it meant perhaps you should stop. Pression d'huile was generally not a worry....

Manic GT
    Same as Australia then, which went metric in 1974.

The charge gauge is actually a voltmeter. With the early Motorola solid state regulators proving troublesome, I'm guessing they were considered more important than an oil pressure gauge. Given that Renault engines rarely suffer oil pressure issues. :-)

As for your headlining, if it isn't black after near 50 years, leave it as it is. Any headlining that has lasted that long has done well.

With David's car, it is part of its original works rally preparation so should be preserved.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Because the Renault engines very rarely suffered oil pressure loss and any time the big red light flashed meant perhaps you should check the dipstick and if it stayed on it meant perhaps you should stop. Pression d'huile was generally not a worry....
    I suspect that is right! My R8 has had 60 psi at 3000 rpm since 1974. It's just clocked up 150,000 miles in our ownership (some 250,000 km) and some 350,000 km from new. Same crankshaft and oil pump.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information