• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By Sarosa

Thread: Remove plastic outer panel from RX4 tailgate

Tadpole

Default Remove plastic outer panel from RX4 tailgate

Has anyone figured out how to dismantle the tailgate to get the outer skin off it? I would like to fix the cracks appearing in the plastic skin of the tailgate (general fatigue I think).

Advertisement

Perhaps it would be easier to replace the whole tailgate? Anyone have experience with this?

Hi.
    You won't find one anywhere with a tailgate that hasn't cracked. they just do it for some reason.

I owned an Rx4 from 2005 until December last year.

The rear door is quite difficult to remove the outer skin on from what I saw. More for the time it would take than complexity. You'll have to take the inner skin off to get to the outer skin screws etc.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cuo EDC 200

1969 R10>>10S replica(stalled in progress)..

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Off the door or on, there are special people with the ability to weld every kind of plastic. We used one here in Victoria to repair truck dashboards and plastic trim very successfully. In some cases they can simply make cracks disappear.
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Hi.
    You won't find one anywhere with a tailgate that hasn't cracked. they just do it for some reason.
    Where are we talking about here? I've had my RX4 for almost 16 years now and can't see any cracks

I'm a bit bored with having the same car for so long but are reluctant to give it up when nothing significant has ever gone wrong with it.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Where are we talking about here? I've had my RX4 for almost 16 years now and can't see any cracks

I'm a bit bored with having the same car for so long but are reluctant to give it up when nothing significant has ever gone wrong with it.
    I have seen several without cracks. I was under the impression that they Crack because people reverse into things because the tyre sticks out quite far, but it could just be fatigue...

The sunshine in Queensland is a bit more harsh that that in Melbourne.
    A lot of plastics suffer more here than down south and it's no just a Renault thing.
    The plastic front guards on the Scenic isn't immune either.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I have seen several without cracks. I was under the impression that they Crack because people reverse into things because the tyre sticks out quite far, but it could just be fatigue...
    I drove behind an RX4 yesterday and noticed a large crack starting from the top left corner of the spare tyre impression to about half way down. I've left my towbar tongue on for years which protrudes just advance of the tyre. I think I'll leave it there!

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    The sunshine in Queensland is a bit more harsh that that in Melbourne.
    A lot of plastics suffer more here than down south and it's no just a Renault thing.
    The plastic front guards on the Scenic isn't immune either.
    Could be, but Melbourne does get those melting scorchers of 45c+ occasionally. In almost 17 years of ownership my RX4 has never seen a garage nor carport. I really am surprised at just how the rubber dash & paint has survived all that. Give them a clean and their like new. It's just got a bit of clear coat peeling on the roof, of which I think I have only washed about 5 times in 17 years and can't remember washing it ever in the last 5. It's just so handy to have, especially in 'ute' mode with the back seats out. Even managed to sleep in the back there with my two kids for 3 nights after a storm collapsed our tent at Wilsons Prom.

Mine cracked at the top rhs near the rear window. I put it down to extensive dirt road travel. There's a fair cantilever effect from the spare wheel and tyre plus vibration.......
    It's another lovely day! Again!

The wheel is actually on a massive steel frame kim, not supported at all by the plastic.

If anyone is building a trailer or campervan and needed a swing away spare wheel, the door frame would be ideal, it is very strong
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cuo EDC 200

1969 R10>>10S replica(stalled in progress)..

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    The wheel is actually on a massive steel frame kim, not supported at all by the plastic.

If anyone is building a trailer or campervan and needed a swing away spare wheel, the door frame would be ideal, it is very strong
    Except it swings the wrong way.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Fatigue yes….wrong type of plastic used and lack of reinforcing fibres in plastic.

Jo

I have a workshop supplement that covers the RX4 bodywork on my computer at home somewhere.
    MR313 I think it is.
    I'm pretty sure it covers the tailgate.
    It's too big to attach to a post but send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers
    Ren.

Thread Information