• Help
Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By Frans
  • 2 Post By rubyalpine
  • 1 Post By HarryA
  • 2 Post By renault8&10

Thread: Renaults at the dices in ZA.

Default Renaults at the dices in ZA.

A story about your naughty AFers. A casual and light hearted bit of reading.

Just before our emigration out of ZA Harry and me decided to go and see and of course test the new illegal Sunday night dragstrip in Jetpark. Jetpark was a fairly new industrial suburb close to where we lived. It was huge!! We talk about 3000 spectators and around 300 participating cars. (about 3 or 4 weeks before the cops hit and closed it.) It had a high bank to the one side of the road where some spectators could have a semi-grandstand view. The rest of the crowd just stood in the road.

At the time Harry’s R10 was the quickest in the club and that was when we started using the Fiat pistons. I think my calculations was a bit wrong and the compression ratio was too high because later that night he broke the ring landing on one of the pistons, but that was only later that night! This mod made his G about 1430cc. My car still had the smaller G motor at 1300cc and then Jacques, my son was there as well with his 1100cc Caravelle. The Caravelle was standard except for a twin choke Weber. At least I think it was standard.

So Harry had to take care of the big cars, I would take on the medium sized cars and my son was on his own mission with some smaller cars.

The big cars at the time was all 3000 Ford Sierras and up and then there was the BMW 325iS Shadowline that was the hit at the time. These BMWs were a special edition by BMW South Africa for the production car racing and they were stepped up to 2700cc and a weight reduction. I remember that you bought them without an Aircon.

Advertisement

The medium sized cars that came to me were the likes of 2000cc cars etc. I could specifically remember that a 2000 cc Mazda with the broad 16V head, modified extractors and chipped was my best competition for the night.
    Needless to say, we took on the crowd and we beat them!

Then Harry, the fox terrier himself, walked over into the BMW crowd and asked the one guy who is the quickest BMW amongst them. He pointed to one of the guys and Harry walked up to him and asked him if he is willing to take a go. The comment from this guy was “Yes, ok but I don’t trust you old farts at all”. Harry was a bit upset being called an Oldfart. In any case the race was on and the BMW was cut down to size.

The following Sunday night I took my wife there to show her were we diced and we stood on the bank light good citizens when 2 guys in front of her were talking and the one said to the other “This is f..ckall, you should have been here last Sunday! There were 2 old little Renaults and they f..cked everybody up!!” Talk about EGO. Mine almost burst.

I hope Harry reads and comment on this because he might add a few things as well.

Frans.
    jo proffi, FIVEDOOR, JohnW and 2 others like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Well done guys !!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

We had a similar situation in Durban where illegal drag races were run in the Umbilo river canal, which was very wide to cope with flood waters, but in the dry season there was only a 100mm deep trickle in the centre so one car could run down each side of the canal.
    Here the Verwey brothers (Hennie and Francois) in their Gordinis used to whip the Fords, mini-coopers and Alfas, etc.
    Eventually the local authorities got bulldozers to pile up huge mounds of sand to block vehicle access to the canal and this was the end of the fun.

Henry
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Hi Frans I think that is a pretty true re collection of the events as You know we never stood back for any race because our cars always had the smallest engines. The biggest improvement of late was the engine management system You did on my car, only problem now it has a rev limiter on it which is sometimes annoying BUT very safe All thanks to You MATE

Cheers Harry
    Sunroof likes this.
    REAR ENGINES IS LIFE!

1000+ Posts

How long ago ???? Good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    How long ago ???? Good stuff...
    That was around 1997-8.

Spectators were scary. Makes me think of some of the European rallies where the roads are filled with them and they move away as the cars come through. We would sit next to the challenging car with a wall of people in front of you, then the starter girl with her handkerchief would start the dice and you couldn't pull off because of the human wall in front, but then you had to because otherwise you lose the race! Then this human wall moves out of the way as you approach and closes again as soon as you go past.

One of the youngsters in the club was there when the cops raided the area and the TV cameras came along with the cops to film it all. So, one morning when Robert was still brushing his teeth, his mother was packing his lunch and the TV was on the early morning show and that was when his car was full on in the picture racing away with a competitor. His mother then screamed out "ROBERT!!! where were you Sunday night?" He was in deep mud after that.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

and he replied... I was out with Dad all night!
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    KB

Thread Information