5 speed transmission identification
  • Register
  • Help

Default 5 speed transmission identification

After watching the forum about transmission up grades I went out to my storage shed trying to identify these 2 five speed transmissions !
    I put the white lettering on last night but now am second guessing myself ?? I believe the one on the left is a 365 but not totally sure about the one on the right maybe a 395 ?? any help would be appreciated I hate to tear them apart to put to try to use the parts for one of my swing axle cars only to find that the guts are not usable ?

The one on the right looks like the 352 trans but the rear extension on this one is deeper than the 352 transmissions I have ??

I did have a file on it at one time but my computer crashed and I lost a lot of info .

any help would be appreciated

Manic GT

5 speed transmission identification-transmissions-001.jpg

Advertisement

The one on the right looks like an NG3 by the rear housing of the 5th speed and the gear selector, but the clutch bell housing looks like a 395/365. The one on the left looks like a 365 by the side mount brackets, but who knows what's in it?

Either way, I don't think there's too many bits you can use in a rear engine car, because both boxes would have been mounted behind the engine, not in front of it like in a rear engined car. That means you have the diffs/final drives the wrong way around and you can't flip them.

One quick check is to take the bell housings off and see if the diffs are 2 satellite or 4 satellite. The 365 should have 4 satellites and so should the NG3. The crown wheel on a 365 and NG3 is larger than that on a 395.

The input shaft on a NG3 doesn't have a spigot to locate in the crankshaft bearing like they do on 365/395.

Another thing to check is the outdrive seals. On a 395 and NG3 the seals run on the outdrive shaft, on a 365 they run on the driveshaft. Not as much help as removing the bell housing.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 10th March 2017 at 03:49 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The one on the left is a 365-xx, the one on the right is an NG1-xx. Neither are suited as they are for an R8/10 application, but the gear set of the 365 may be suited to use in conjunction with a 385 CW&P for swapping into the 330 R8/10 case. Such a conversion is way out of my field of knowledge, but Rob Sealey has done similar conversions here in Australia - after much experimentation - as it is not a bolt-up conversion.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Manic,
    No Matter where you want to go, you need to start with a 16TX or R5 atmo "385" for the crown and pinion. The LH box is I think a 365 with close ratios, but you will only know when opening it and split in half, by counting the ratios. The 385 has good cruising ratios, so if you get a 385 you are again better off. The 365 gears need a bit of machining to fit the 385 shafts.

To Know what you are doing, sign up for Turborenault.co.uk and go to :
    https://turborenault.co.uk/8-gordini-workshop.f402/

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thanks for the reply I guess I should trade for the 336 , 395 or a 385 boxes or use them on a mid engine setup ? I am sure some Lotus Europia people would be interested .

thanks again much appreciated

Manic GT

Thread Information