Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nt reno
  • 1 Post By PeterT
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: Clio 197 V 200 Race Car

Tadpole

Default Clio 197 V 200 Race Car

Hi folks. I am evaluating building a Clio Production race car. I have noticed that the 197 is almost 60kg lighter (tare weight) than the 200.

I wanted your esteemed opinion on whether the 200 is '60kg better' given they are almost the same engine power.

Now here are a few things to give you a frame of reference when providing your thoughts.

1. Dedicated circuit race car so it will have all new shocks and dampers etc.
    2. Will have an LSD
    3. Most of the time it will be above 4750 rpm (so not about any improvments in the 200 for low end pull)
    4. Exhaust will be changed from first flange back and cats will be removed
    5. New ECU.

The reason the choice is between either of these NA cars is that the class (within the category) that I want to run has these cars running against the 86, Integra Type R's etc. I know the 197 that Richard Gartner raced was competitive in the endurance races but I will be keen to see how quick we can be in sprints.

Looking forward to feedback.

Advertisement

Try the OzRenaultSport they might have more info
    AzmanSyd likes this.

NT Reno

Quote Originally Posted by AzmanSyd View Post
    The reason the choice is between either of these NA cars is that the class (within the category) that I want to run has these cars running against the 86, Integra Type R's etc. I know the 197 that Richard Gartner raced was competitive in the endurance races but I will be keen to see how quick we can be in sprints.
    Excellent. Come and join the 205's in the CSCA Supersprints, MRA rounds and the Wakefield 300.

Have you been in contact with Race Spec Tuning?
    AzmanSyd likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks NT will do. Don't want to build something that is not competitive enough to win!

Don't want to build something that is not competitive enough to win!
    Bring it on. Under 2L class, either treaded or slicks.

Motor Racing Australia ? ?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks PeterT I will get in touch with Race Spec. Thank you for the invitations. I will certainly be aiming at the enduro's (it's part of our competition) with the 2018 Bathurst 6 hr in the sites if all goes well.

Tadpole

Well for the car to be competitive in Prod Touring I would have to be able to do consistent 1:09 at WP and capable of qualifying it in a 1:08. The two 205s are pretty quick (and a few hundred kilos lighter!) but never say never right! Time is my biggest enemy at the moment.

Look at what the rules say can be done.

Gearbox, diff ratios,
    Engine, cams, valves, pistons, dry sump.
    Suspension,
    Brakes,

Then search Europe for kits. Cams and valves, Cat Cams (Belgium).
    General engine and brakes RenaultSport (May even get some sponsorship in OZ)
    See what top privateers in Europe are using.

Contact Wiebe Motorsport

Ray
    AzmanSyd likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

WP is all about suspension, geometry, brakes and tyres. Power should be last on your list. In regards to suspension. If in doubt, make the rear stiffer. You wouldn't believe how stiff it needs to be.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Hi Ray, I am very familiar with the regs (won the NSW Club championship in a DC2 Integra) so pretty much everything has to be pretty close to stock. Can do the following.

ECU
    LSD
    Shocks and springs (but not mounting points)
    Brakes - Can change but cannot have bigger than original, more pots OR larger swept area for the pads.
    Clutch materials.

This is pretty much showroom. Thanks for the tip though and I will talk to Wiebe.

Cheers

Tadpole

Yes totally agree about WP. My DC2 was very stiff in the rear and that made a world of difference. At the end of the day with these 2ltr cars it is ALL about cornering speed no matter which track. Yes you have some big stops at most of the circuits but if if you wash off too much speed you are dead in the water anyway.

Some folks may be interested in the attached image from the DOTARS (regs are based on this). I have no idea where the extra 60kg is (thicker carpet, more sound deadening?)

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clio 197 V 200 Race Car-clio-dotars.png  

We enter NM3 (3J) in CSCA rounds and SuperTT in MRA, where the regs are looser.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    AzmanSyd likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    We enter NM3 (3J) in CSCA rounds and SuperTT in MRA, where the regs are looser.
    Thanks Peter

Some folks may be interested in the attached image from the DOTARS (regs are based on this). I have no idea where the extra 60kg is (thicker carpet, more sound deadening?)

Cheers
    Just check you are comparing comparable Clios. Renault Australia listed the early non-Cup 197 as 1221kg, the same weight as the "Cup" and later R27 (with the lighter Recaro seats). So the 200 "full fat" will be the heavier figure, and the 200 Cup having a weight of 1204kg.

For your purposes, it is probably best to pop the car on a weighbridge or corner weights to find out where it is.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Let me preface this by saying I've never raced a car let alone built one. I have owned a rs182cup and a meganeR26.
    So if you're allowed to throw away all the interior trim and ac/heater etc, change the suspension, brakes, complete exhaust and strengthen most or all of the engine internals on what is fundamentally the same engine (and clutch and gearbox?), then why not save another 200kg out of the box by starting with a RS182 cup or even 172 cup?
    --------
    Progress is fine, but it's gone on for too long.

Thread Information