New Alpine 110
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New Alpine 110

Fellow Frogger!

Default New Alpine 110

For the fans of the Alpine marque, you may savour the pictures released before the Geneva motor show when all the details will be released.

Advertisement

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...s-car-revealed
    FIVEDOOR, CXVingtCinq and BIGRR like this.

I want one.!!. Anyone know where one might arrange the sale of one's "first born" to raise funds...??

The Alpine A110 is back: Renault reveals first images of final production car
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1984 CX 25 IE
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

1000+ Posts

How about you send me your deposits ....then we can get a bulk order discount.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????/

That is one out of the park!

What a nice car. Glad they stuck with "as close as possible to original" idea rather than go balls out for performance like the initial concept.

Even 185Kw would be plenty if you lived in europe to have some of the best blasts around the alpine passes between France/Switzerland/Austria/Germany and Italy or that road in romenia they showed in Top Gear (provided you can get to it).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

What are your details?

The only car in the last 10 years I have liked and I think I could own! (Bet I don't fit).
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    (Bet I don't fit).
    Sunroof?
    BIGRR likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Tadpole

Looks really good, though it can be way overpriced.

What are your details?

The only car in the last 10 years I have liked and I think I could own! (Bet I don't fit).

What details? Are you talkin' to me?

Same here. New designs don't tickle my fancy, to be honest.

In fact I finally discovered I really like the design style of the sixties (my time) when I was looking at a sixties locomotive I know too well (pulled the trains I was commuting on back in the seventies/eighties). Weird, I know.

I think I liked everything better before it became cubed (a bit too hard-edged for eye comfort).

And hey, you don't need to fit, just get one to look at.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd March 2017 at 02:49 AM.
    Sunroof likes this.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by carsond9 View Post
    Looks really good, though it can be way overpriced.
    Absolutely.

But then again, this is one of those cars, if you think it's overpriced, it's not for you.

I am sure a Toyota 86 is a much better car for half the price, but would you have that if you could have this? Most likely some people would. Well, they're not the market for this car.

London to a brick they're not going to sell half the numbers of the 86 either.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

What are your details?

You could buy it, and I could drive it around for you.
    KB

I keep thinking about it (can't help it) and I just realised this is going to be one of those cars "on special order" or brought here "in limited numbers".

You know, like the R225, R26 and such. Most dealers probably won't even want to bother, and it will be probably like pulling teeth trying to get one out of them. At best you're going to find out they sold one when you'll find it in their court as a s/h two years old and they're trying to sell it to you for the price when new (after it probably has been "executively driven" by everybody in the dealership - or maybe only the boss and/or their mates).

Hope I am wrong.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd March 2017 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    What details? Are you talkin' to me?

Same here. New designs don't tickle my fancy, to be honest.

And hey, you don't need to fit, just get one to look at.

I was talking to pekay49, wanted to go into the bulk order and get one cheaper!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Front end - beautiful, classic, stunning
    Profile - not bad, nothing amazing, bot no real sore points
    Rear end - can you spell AUDI?

But who cares, if they can price reasonably I'll buy one. But at the moment that looks unlikely.

It looks like its going to be on parity with the 4C based on the quoted UK and Euro prices - that makes it $100k + OTR

So even to us frog-o-philes - that's a lot for what you get. Especially when a Megane RS will be better and faster in most real world ways, its going to have poor dealer support, poor brand recognition, and devastating depreciation. But regardless of what schlitzaugen said - nobody here would by a GT86 instead (excuse me while I wash my mind clear with some serious drugs for even thinking of that possibility).

So go on Renault Australia - be brave. Make it $65k. Get them out on the road. Use it to increase brand recognition so you sell more Clio's and Megane's (and Kaptur's and Koleos' - yuck). Sponsor them in local events and "Targa's". Use the opportunity to establish the long term loyalty that Renault used to have in the 60's, 70's instead of just making a quick cash grab.

But as they say - "One Powerball"............. mind you that would result in a 'real' Alpine in my garage ..... A310 GT V6 anyone?New Alpine 110-a310-v6-pack-gt-255b442.jpg
    geckoeng likes this.

I think this new car will have to be way above the Megane and the rest of run-of-the-mill-garden-variety cars to sell, especially in Europe, and I don't see why you think it isn't a real Alpine, whatever that means.

As for my comparison to the 86, just have a look at the numbers sold.

Wouldn't it be nice if Reno got involved seriously here?

Unfortunately, my money sez nah, too much trouble for a couple of sales they are going to get anyway from people who just love the car and have enough money to sponsor everything including shipping from Europe.

And by the way, people say the V6 version of the A310 was not as good as the 807 engined, because of the added weight behind the rear axle, which put it on par with Porsche 911 in the handling problems depratment. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 9th March 2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Front end - beautiful, classic, stunning
    Profile - not bad, nothing amazing, bot no real sore points
    Rear end - can you spell AUDI?

But who cares, if they can price reasonably I'll buy one. But at the moment that looks unlikely.

It looks like its going to be on parity with the 4C based on the quoted UK and Euro prices - that makes it $100k + OTR

So even to us frog-o-philes - that's a lot for what you get. Especially when a Megane RS will be better and faster in most real world ways, its going to have poor dealer support, poor brand recognition, and devastating depreciation. But regardless of what schlitzaugen said - nobody here would by a GT86 instead (excuse me while I wash my mind clear with some serious drugs for even thinking of that possibility).

So go on Renault Australia - be brave. Make it $65k. Get them out on the road. Use it to increase brand recognition so you sell more Clio's and Megane's (and Kaptur's and Koleos' - yuck). Sponsor them in local events and "Targa's". Use the opportunity to establish the long term loyalty that Renault used to have in the 60's, 70's instead of just making a quick cash grab.

But as they say - "One Powerball"............. mind you that would result in a 'real' Alpine in my garage ..... A310 GT V6 anyone?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a310-v6-pack-gt-255b442.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	94374
    You need to remind yourself that this is no recycled scrap steel venture, the car has been designed from the start with an aluminium chassis/body, like a proper Italian carrosserie. It weighs in at 1080kg in base form which gives it a nice power to weight ratio. I suspect that this car will end up a serious competition machine, as well as looking nice being driven around Trak.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

As for my comparison to the 86, just have a look at the numbers sold.
    Sales of toyota 86 + subaru Rcz were 350 all up for 2016

Megane sports were 40 units

And total clios (all varieties) 300 units

So the 86/Brz Sold better than the comparative Megane and Clio Sports.

And the new Alpine is likely not fair too well against 86 and Brz at around twice the price.

Time will tell of course, however marque loyalty has it's price too.

I don't have breakdown of Clio V Clio Sports. And figures are approximate because my Vfacts is getting a bit outdated.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Not only that, but compare how many 86/BRZ have sold when they were new/over their entire life to date (this is now an old-ish car, whereas Renault models you compare it against are new designs, albeit old platforms).

Not to mention the 86 is a niche car, unlike the Clios/Meganes, etc. Compare with say Lotus Elise/similar sales, because I think that is a car in the same market as the alpine would be (minus the large faithful fan base) and at the same price point (might be wrong here, not sure what Elise goes for).
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 9th March 2017 at 11:49 PM.

How you can even mention the 86 in the same breath as New Alpine defeats me! A 0-100km/h time of 7.6 secs means the 86 would have trouble dragging off a Melbourne Tram. New Alpine is quoted as 4.5 seconds for the same event.

The cars are in no way comparable and it would seem everyone has forgotten that the New Alpine's target market is the Porsche Boxter/Cayman, which also does not compete on the general market with the Toyota 86.

Last edited by Kim Luck; 9th March 2017 at 06:41 PM.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

thanks Kim for the vid, I hadn't been overwhelmed by the look of it,
    but seeing now how small it is, reckon it's terrific. except for the wheels,
    AND NO STICK SHIFT! ah well, just have to make do with a deplorable 86.
    now how much will they give me for my 205 Si, surely $500 at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    How you can even mention the 86 in the same breath as New Alpine defeats me! A 0-100km/h time of 7.6 secs means the 86 would have trouble dragging off a Melbourne Tram. New Alpine is quoted as 4.5 seconds for the same event.

The cars are in no way comparable and it would seem everyone has forgotten that the New Alpine's target market is the Porsche Boxter/Cayman, which also does not compete on the general market with the Toyota 86.

Price, Kim, price, at twice the price RCZ or an 86, they are an expensive "toy" , which is what any 100% sports car is from a practical point of view.

And, for the record I didn't made the initial comparison.

Edit: And with 9 Porsche Boxter and less than 50 Cayman sold last , if you see Alpine as a major competitor, don't expect earth shattering Sales.
    Last edited by robmac; 9th March 2017 at 08:31 PM.

Icon6

G'day,
    wasn't there some one on this forum thinking about building an A110 replica ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    the 10th letter is not working
    “Welcome to fear, Moist said to himself. It's hope, turned inside out.”

Price is one consideration, but ultimately the most important.

Where you target your product price point wise says something about who you want as your customer. Here, Renault has done their homework and know they are not going to pull bankers away from their porsches, but rather the aspirational enthusiast and the up-and-coming footballer. Sorry, Renault enthusiasts, La Regie knows you're not that well heeled, so you don't count.

It looks though they banked everything on handling and driving experience (with a generous compromise for the not so experienced, hence paddle box only - the disappointed don't count, so we're prepared to lose them as customers).

But if the gamble doesn't pay, you might still have a chance to see a proper manual for the die hard fans, and I guess it will be cheaper too, so don't despair.

Which is where the 86 (and similar - Miata, whatever else) come into play. The Toyota is commended on exactly that, brilliant handling, and if you think there's not enough power, change the tires and you'll find it. Not to mention Toyota has foreseen this and abstained deliberately from going insane on tuning the engine, but they made it easy for people to do it. I understand a remap of fuel and ignition would do, but there's also a lot of aftermarket stuff you can just bolt on and it will up the power enough that the Alpine will have trouble keeping up. (Also keep in mind the Alpine is turbocharged already so there's not much room to go up, whereas the 86 is N/A so plenty of scope for turbo/supercharging.)

Sorry.

I really like the Alpine, and I think it is the more beautiful car (more beautiful than the Alfa) and the one to have regardless of performance (read outright power), and on condition the handling is as good as they say it is, but Renault has decided otherwise, not I. Their price point doesn't like you.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 9th March 2017 at 10:33 PM.
    robmac likes this.

Anything is possible when the lozenge shaped blinkers occlude objectivity and blind the wearer to reality.

No doubt, it is a beautiful quirky car.

Will it be a "game changer" or major seller in it's market segment - Personally I can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    wasn't there some one on this forum thinking about building an A110 replica ?
    Les,
    To go through the ADR requirements to put an A110 replica on the road, it is cheaper to buy a bad one from Spain or Mexico, and rebuild it back here. The engineering is about $50K.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

That's right Ray, I did a lot of the fabrication and welding of the suspension and subframe for the new Bolwell a few years ago, this was the Toyota based car that only went to prototype stage.The cost of the development for those guy's would have been horrendous, hence the cost of the production car would also have been way up there with the already established available cars.
    Real shame but that's the reality of complying with ADR's,
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information