• 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By G4ME
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 2 Post By panhard

Thread: Shifting a car from Perth to Ballarat

Default Shifting a car from Perth to Ballarat

Hi all,

Advertisement

My 90 year old father-in-law has given up driving his vehicle and I hope to bring it to Ballarat and H plate it for club duties. My first temptation was to fly over and drive it back but have lost my nerve when I established the rubber tooth timing belt is original with 27 years and 115,000 km recorded.
    Does anyone here know of a reputable carrier firm for this job. Each one I have checked on the internet has many customer horror stories and I am nervous.

Thanks in advance
    Keith

I had my R25 shipped from Coolgardie WA to Ballarat once courtesy of RACV Total Care. I DO NOT recommend whoever it they used - never did get the subframe dents out, although I repaired the bent tow hook.

Sorry, thats not useful... But supports your desire to be careful!
    keith mcelroy likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Hi Keith,
    Admittedly it was many many years ago but I shipped a car from Perth to Melbourne via rail. Initially the price was ridiculous but then I found a backloading rate that made it mega cheap. it appears lots of stuff goes over on the train but not much comes back. I had to pick it up from Dynon Rd rail yard though.
    Might be worth a try.
    Cheers..>Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

We just sent a car across to Perth last week using CEVA. It cost less than $1000 which was the cheapest price they got. Hopefully it should be there by now so we await any bad news.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Try John Sutherland on (08) 8395 3067. He transports caravans to the West and always looking for back loading, have used him a couple of times and found him careful and reliable. Mention the Simca Man.
    keith mcelroy and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by panhard View Post
    Try John Sutherland on (08) 8395 3067. He transports caravans to the West and always looking for back loading, have used him a couple of times and found him careful and reliable. Mention the Simca Man.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like it might be good.

Haven't been able to get a reply to phone calls yet. How long ago since you used him?

thanks
    Keith

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have chatted to the caravan man and decided to go with that method. I like the idea of one man responsible for the vehicle at all stages, and the timeline sounds ok too. Thanks for the recommendation, Panhard.

cheers
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    We just sent a car across to Perth last week using CEVA. It cost less than $1000 which was the cheapest price they got. Hopefully it should be there by now so we await any bad news.
    I used that carrier to bring a Jaguar Sovereign from Brisbane to Bathurst. When it arrived it required a full re spray as they placed a wreck above it that leaked brake fluid all over it. My spray painter had a lot of trouble getting paid as well. be very careful who you use. I would never use a carrier again. Fly and drive.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I used that carrier to bring a Jaguar Sovereign from Brisbane to Bathurst. When it arrived it required a full re spray as they placed a wreck above it that leaked brake fluid all over it. My spray painter had a lot of trouble getting paid as well. be very careful who you use. I would never use a carrier again. Fly and drive.
    Oh that's not good. I sent my Gordini across to Perth with them 10 years ago and was worried about it fowling plugs and usual G problems but no all was good, got there without any problems. They do shift a hell of a lot of cars (mostly new) and no business has 100% customer satisfaction.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by panhard View Post
    Used John,

One man operation from front door in Perth to Ballarat. He had a van on the tray of his truck and my car on a flat top trailer. Arrived this morning in perfect condition. Very happy.

Thanks Panhard

ps Sorry to miss out on the drive, but the 27 year old rubber timing belt (116,000km) scared me. The Perth quote to replace it was $1200 cf $300 with my local guy in Ballarat. The difference paid for the ride!

Tadpole

two different guys - Malcolm from 4 mile transport in Newstead - I have used him several times from Queensland/Mudgee
    He currently is going mostly to Queensland but occasionally Perth. 0417 544 372.

Steve Earl from Faraday, near Castlemaine currently does Perth - Victoria for around $1200. 0439 752 753. He also quoted $1800 Perth to Brisbane for my daughter's Rocky.

Fellow Frogger!

Steve Earl is much too expensive, a few months back I moved a Simca from Perth to Brisbane for $1,000.

Thread Information