Megane II Drive shaft welch plug ??
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N5GTi6

Thread: Megane II Drive shaft welch plug ??

Default Megane II Drive shaft welch plug ??

Bit of a weird one - to me anyway.

Checking the engine mounts on the R26 over the weekend, and hence under the car with an inspection light in my hand I noticed an unusual grease deposit around the drivers side drive shaft / inner CV joint.

Where the Drive shaft bearing mount is indicated in the bellow pic there is Lithium grease showing.

Definitely not oil - but silver / grey 'shimmery' lithium type grease used in CV joints.

Now the strange thing it that there isn't any damage to the CV boot - it's perfectly clean. The boot retaining strap is nice and tight and placed perfectly. The CV boot is not misplaced.

But there is grease on the side of the bearing mount - it appears that the grease is coming through the 'back / bottom' of the CV joint - through the bearing mount, and out the other side around the drive shaft.

There isn't anything in all the Megane doco I've got to indicate that there might a seal there, but a drive shaft place I contacted felt there could be a welch plug in the back of the CV joint which could be leaking.

Advertisement

Since it's a big enough job to just remove the drive shaft to look I thought I'd just put the question up here first....has anyone seen or heard of this potentially mysterious CV joint welch plug before ?

Any other ideas for what could be causing this mysterious grease leak ? It's not like the bottom of the car is covered in the stuff - the grease around the drive shaft is maybe 5mm thick, but it's something that can only get worse with time.

Cheers

Justin
    Last edited by N5GTi6; 27th February 2017 at 05:14 PM.
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308XSE Touring

Not the bearing itself losing grease?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Not the bearing itself losing grease?
    I had that idea as well but it does seem like more than the volume of grease a bearing race might contain.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308XSE Touring

Photo's below show 'bolt 4' in pic above. CV joint side is clean - driveshaft bearing mount side quite greasy.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308XSE Touring

UPDATE :
    =======

I like thread updates......

Pulled the driveshaft out and still couldn't really work out where the grease was coming from.

Whipped over to Australian CV and Power Steering at Rydalmere (unashamed plug) to drop it off for repairs. On the spot they took it out the back and worked on it for about 20mins.

Seems as though the relay shaft that forms part of the driveshaft that runs behind the sump is in sections, and the relay shaft is splined onto the back of the inside cv joint. The shaft is of course hollow at that point. The splined joint is usually sealed with a 50c rubber o-ring, which looks like it's perished with heat, age, vibration etc etc.

The fix was simply to detach the splined joint, replace the o-ring, pull the boot back on the cv joint and replace any missing volume of grease and reassemble. No attempt to tell me that the driveshaft needed rebuilding and in fact inspection revealed that the driveshaft and cv joints were in very good condition.

On the road again !

Cheers

Justin
    Sunroof likes this.
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308XSE Touring

Thread Information