R8 Race car pistons..
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: R8 Race car pistons..

Default R8 Race car pistons..

Hi All,

I am thrilled on what I found regarding the NZ race car that broke a piston.

There is a set that I have on my watch list for about US$380 from Argentina. That is just normal production pistons and I don't know the brand yet.

Then I decided to give Vinolia pistons a call. These are the forged pistons that was supplied by Salv Sacco when I built the A110 motor and also when I built Ross's Dauphine motor.

Advertisement

Their answer on my questions as follows: Thank you for your inquiry. All of our pistons are custom made from a sample piston or customers complete written specs. You can find an order form on our website, Venolia Pistons and Rods | Forged Racing Pistons for Racers and Engine Builders that details all specs necessary for fabrication if there is no good sample.

Piston Part # 10840 $80.40 each, piston only.

Then I asked them if I could send a sample to get an identical set to the ones in the car because it will save me doing CR tests and other modifications and they came back with this: Yes, please send a sample piston along with written instructions stating your specs. We will also need you to include good contact info.

We will wait to hear from you,

So that means that I can have 4 forged pistons for less than the standard cast ones. I hope that this will work out fine. I might have to buy rings separate but even then it is still a bargain.

I hope this will help others on AF as well.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

That is indeed brilliant especially if they cut the valve pockets to your specs as well, in that price. Ha! Well done, Frans. Shopping around works!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

COL

Yes that is a good deal, will be interesting to know what the final cost is for the pistons, plus modifications and freight to Fans' abode.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Franz I noticed you where building new sleeves so I assume you got some pistons ? did you go with the custom pistons and if so how good where they compared to what you sent them ?

Manic gt

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi All,

I am thrilled on what I found regarding the NZ race car that broke a piston.

There is a set that I have on my watch list for about US$380 from Argentina. That is just normal production pistons and I don't know the brand yet.

Then I decided to give Vinolia pistons a call. These are the forged pistons that was supplied by Salv Sacco when I built the A110 motor and also when I built Ross's Dauphine motor.

Their answer on my questions as follows: Thank you for your inquiry. All of our pistons are custom made from a sample piston or customers complete written specs. You can find an order form on our website, Venolia Pistons and Rods | Forged Racing Pistons for Racers and Engine Builders that details all specs necessary for fabrication if there is no good sample.

Piston Part # 10840 $80.40 each, piston only.

Then I asked them if I could send a sample to get an identical set to the ones in the car because it will save me doing CR tests and other modifications and they came back with this: Yes, please send a sample piston along with written instructions stating your specs. We will also need you to include good contact info.

We will wait to hear from you,

So that means that I can have 4 forged pistons for less than the standard cast ones. I hope that this will work out fine. I might have to buy rings separate but even then it is still a bargain.

I hope this will help others on AF as well.

Frans.

Hi Manic GT.

Yes I ordered them and received them and they are beautiful. What I have to mention is that the price varies a lot as the add ons get more. The piston alone is $80 something then the gudgeon pin adds a bit more and then rings and oiler holes etc. What I eventually ordered was the pistons for $83, then just sizing the gudgeon pins as per the sample I sent him (because I will use the existing gudgeon pins), was $25 extra, and oiler holes for the gudgeon pins another few $s. I added the rings for $40 a piston. What I left out and do myself is the valve pockets and the gas ports. So that worked out cheap to have a forged piston to your own spec because I mailed him a sample and it was done excactly as that. I needed the excact shape because of the CR that is at limits already and there is no room for risking a plus minus shape.

So I am very happy with them and I will post a picture as soon as I get them back from the engineering works that are re-boring my sleeves. They send all details with regarding clearances etc. I ordered them 0.010" bigger than the old ones so that I could have a new running-in surface but that is then what caused the old sleeves to crack because they were so thin at the bottom. With the 16TS sleeves in now I think it will be possible to go 78mm and more if you want.

Another plus point is that there is a part number for it and in future one can quote the part number and request the size needed and they will be done accordingly.

Regards, Frans.

PS. The part number quoted in my previous post is only for pricing purposes and not the actual piston.

When you get them made ensure they have the right formulation, just as in the FASTEST INDIAN

In fact TODAY 16th July their is an article in the NZ papers about one of Munro's pistons being auctioned 2011

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-...ston-tops-5000

Bidding is at $5000, $80 is a steal
    Last edited by driven; 16th July 2017 at 01:27 PM.

Regardless of the extras, it still seems like excellent value for money for a set of four custom pistons. I'll certainly be looking them up for the next build.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Here are some pictures of the new forged pistons.

With this last picture I'm pointing out the shape of the crown. The grey piston is the sample I sent them for the shape of the dome I require. It came out good.

Thread Information