Renault Colorale Prarie
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Renault Colorale Prarie

Tadpole

Default Renault Colorale Prarie

Hi all, I'm new to the Aussie frogs forum but thought I'd let you know where one of the Renault Prarie Colorale cars went. I have recently bought the car from Victoria. It's plate is R2093 14673. I was told it could be one of the renaults involved in the redex trials. Any info much appreciated as you will all know more than me about the car. I'll post some pictures so you can see. To me its in great condition for a 70 year old car. It has rusted out at the bottom sills and b pillar join at the bottom is bad, and the tailgate has had a previous impact (looks like it happened while it was down). But it's definately fixable.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Colorale Prarie-img_4881.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-img_4453.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-img_3966.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-img_3964.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-img_3965.jpg  
    Last edited by Noodle2102; 19th February 2017 at 12:31 PM.

One of very few RHD Prairies ever made. It'd be interesting if there are signs of the stencilled RedEx numbers under the primer paint job on the car.

Pic attached is one of another RHD R2093, last heard of living in Victoria.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Colorale Prarie-rhfview.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

G'day and welcome Noodle2102,

I must say you have a very special car there, not overly pretty but unigue all the same. I am guessing it is leaf sprung front and rear and possibly two wheel drive. Any chance of some suspension and under-bonnet shots ?

FYI I can see that this car shares many plastic and trim parts, wheels, engine etc. with the Renault Fregate of which I own one. Your car certainly does look fixable so when you start your search for parts I can help steer you.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 19th February 2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Wow. A big welcome from me too. That's brilliant. It's a treasure. Not exactly an ugly duckling but hardly the gorgeous swan. But so functional and it's great you posted so "we" know it is there.

Here's a photo of two relatives for you from France last May.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Colorale Prarie-colorales.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    G'day and welcome Noodle2102,

I must say you have a very special car there, not overly pretty but unigue all the same. I am guessing it is leaf sprung front and rear and possibly two wheel drive. Any chance of some suspension and under-bonnet shots ?

FYI I can see that this car shares many plastic and trim parts, wheels, engine etc. with the Renault Fregate of which I own one. Your car certainly does look fixable so when you start your search for parts I can help steer you.
    A few more photos added, and yes it's leaf spring front and rear. If you need an engine let me know. I'm thinking of making it drivable (pretty sure it's only a 50 hp motor if that) and putting in a different engine and possibly upgrade the suspension. Suggestions welcome. At the moment I like either the renault clio255 v6 engine or a Mercedes v8. (Yes probably considered sacrelige!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Colorale Prarie-img_4445.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-img_4448.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-img_4461.jpg  

Also worth a look is the French Colorale website.

Colorale Club association de Renault Colorale (Prairie, Pick-up, Savane, fourgon, plateau-ridelles,woody, taxi, moteur 85 lateral, moteur frťgate, etc...)

If going for a re-power, I'd be looking at something that is already rear drive to use the donor gearbox and driveline, as well as keeping in mind the width of the motor and engine bay. Then there is steering, how the extra performance then affects the leaf spring design etc......

Someone else was also heading down a similar track with an earlier side-valve Prairie, but they had a bit of a setback with the project now on the back burner. But their ideas may provide some inspiration.

Renault Colorale Praire
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle2102 View Post
    A few more photos added, and yes it's leaf spring front and rear. If you need an engine let me know. I'm thinking of making it drivable (pretty sure it's only a 50 hp motor if that) and putting in a different engine and possibly upgrade the suspension. Suggestions welcome. At the moment I like either the renault clio255 v6 engine or a Mercedes v8. (Yes probably considered sacrelige!).
    G'day again,

Yes I will take the engine, and wheels too if they are surplus to requirements, we can discuss the details after you've fully digested your little treasure.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle2102 View Post
    Good luck with your pondering. I think all of us with 1950s/60s cars go through this exercise in thinking about power/driveability.

There are lots of Renault 4CVs/750s in Australia (60 or so in going condition and registered and probably another 60 not going or not registered) and what people have actually done ranges from keeping originality, to the extent practicable, through upgrades to a few fire-breathers. My cars are more or less original in power (a mighty 21 bhp for the 4CV) but I do agree that they are much easier in modern traffic with a bit more. It depends a lot on where you live and drive and what you can do that suits the car and the suspension. About double the power works really well with a 4CV, achievable easily with the same block and transmission family. Lots more power is OK too, but that is because there are serious upgrades in suspension and brakes that bolt on fairly easily from later rear-engined models. I don't think you have that luxury. Given you'll never make it a sports car, you might be surprised at what you can do just by some tweaks on what you've got. No doubt there'll be some interest here and there are people with vast experience who will spot this!

Does it have telescopic shock absorbers? I presume it post-dates the Renault-made lever action devices.

Personally, I'm just delighted another of these is now in the public domain!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Welcome to A/F and with something rare in Australia. Not sure about Canberra but adding horsepower in Qld means up rating all sorts of other stuff. Like needing collapsible steering, brakes up rated, even to the extent of fitting two speed wipers and proper demisters, etc. I'd be checking out the requirements before doing much in the way of mods. Hope it all goes to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Welcome to A/F and with something rare in Australia. Not sure about Canberra but adding horsepower in Qld means up rating all sorts of other stuff. Like needing collapsible steering, brakes up rated, even to the extent of fitting two speed wipers and proper demisters, etc. I'd be checking out the requirements before doing much in the way of mods. Hope it all goes to plan.
    In a way, hence my thoughts on upgrading what there is now below the surface...

Canberra has a reputation for toughness, at least from where I sit. We should have the R8 in Canberra a few days after Easter.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Default Prarie memories !

Hi
    I am not sure that if I was contemplating fitting a big motor to an old car, that I would start here but it's your car and money !

But back in the good ol'days I have memories of two Praries. We lived in Taree, a country town and a friend of my family had one as his regular driver. He lived on a farm and had a family so i guess it was a suitable vehicle for his use, and not many other similar choices. I cannot remember much about it but possibly in the mid 50s and I do not recall seeing any others around. Not sure if it was before or after his Vanguard station waggon.

The second was in the late 60s. A person working with me in Newcastle had a Prarie. He was a bit surprised that I recognised it one day when I saw it. I guess it was just a cheap useful vehicle by then. He had a caravan and lugged it around with that. I think I had a look at the carby or something once for him. I recall that the motor looked just like mine in the 750 but bigger !! I never remember seeing any others around then either.
    Jaahn

It's always interesting seeing less common Renault's and picking the design similarities to other models. The front looks oversized 4CV, the door frames look 4CV/Dauphine/Fregate, steering wheel, interior door handles and the tail lights appear to be from 4CV parts bin. Sure it's not a glamour model but I don't mind it. Personally I'd like to see it restored to original with the exception of being lowered with widened original rims with shiny hubcaps. But as has already been said - your car, your rules ...
    cheers,

John

My version of the Prairie would be with a period timber horse float (to use the standard Prairie towing hitch) with perhaps some faux timber on the sides.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

AFAIK the Prairie has a chassis that is separate to the body (not unitary), there would be a lot you could do with it, just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    AFAIK the Prairie has a chassis that is separate to the body (not unitary), there would be a lot you could do with it, just sayin'

But that's why Holden one-tonners were created, why waste a Prairie :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My version of the Prairie would be with a period timber horse float (to use the standard Prairie towing hitch) with perhaps some faux timber on the sides.
    Here's the tow vehicle for the float then....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Colorale Prarie-p6010674.jpg   Renault Colorale Prarie-p6010675.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information