RenaultSport Clio 182
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default RenaultSport Clio 182

Picked up May edition of Motor magazine the other day.
    I quote from page 16: "Renaults latest version of the hot Clio is due to arrive in July..........."
    The last I heard from the dealer a matter of two weeks ago was that it was likely to arrive very late this year. I would assume that if the car is arriving in July, the dealers would have already started taking forward orders, of which I have heard nothing. This is despite the fact I told the dealer I would place an order, with deposit, immediately when the order books open. I would have expected to have received a call on this if it were the case.

Does anyone have any other information about the arrival of the new car?

Advertisement
    blacklotus99

2004 RenaultSport Clio 172

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Coupe

Isn't that strange? I'd call Renault HQ to find out mate.

Otherwise, i have no more info to offer you, sorry.

I'll put my hand up for a ride in yours when you get it tho!!
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Tadpole

Default Info

A Copy of the transcript of a email from a car dealership

> In reply to your email enquiry,
    > These are the details you were
    > asking for, Scenic II is
    > due out in the last quarter of this year, The Megane
    > RS is due to be
    > released in the first quarter of next year and the
    > new Clio and Clio
    > sport are due out in July this year.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > ____________________________________________
    >
    Last edited by thequietone; 17th April 2004 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus99
    Picked up May edition of Motor magazine the other day.
    I quote from page 16: "Renaults latest version of the hot Clio is due to arrive in July..........."
    The last I heard from the dealer a matter of two weeks ago was that it was likely to arrive very late this year. I would assume that if the car is arriving in July, the dealers would have already started taking forward orders, of which I have heard nothing. This is despite the fact I told the dealer I would place an order, with deposit, immediately when the order books open. I would have expected to have received a call on this if it were the case.

Does anyone have any other information about the arrival of the new car?
    From my experience the dealers are not only the last to hear about new models, but the least informed. You can generally pickup more info from motoring mags or the internet. One dealer explained this to me as an effort by the dealer principles to stop salesmen from promoting a new model when they still had stock of an old model to off load. They were purposely kept in the dark until the new model landed on the floor. Most of them were too thick to go and obtain any information of their own volition.

Cheers
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    From my experience the dealers are not only the last to hear about new models, but the least informed. You can generally pickup more info from motoring mags or the internet. One dealer explained this to me as an effort by the dealer principles to stop salesmen from promoting a new model when they still had stock of an old model to off load. They were purposely kept in the dark until the new model landed on the floor. Most of them were too thick to go and obtain any information of their own volition.

Cheers
    Thats true. The renault dealers I have spoken to either have no idea or arent willing to give up any information. The theory around not promoting a new model when there is existing stock around is correct, to a degree. I worked in the industry for a while so know the score on this one. It depends on what vehicle and what vehicle class the sales are being made from. In porsche land, the customers are generally very well informed and so the dealers need to be better informed. Big discounts are given on existing model stock as there is a known depreciation factor. Its sad when I walk into a showroom and the sales person knows less about their product than I do. Not conducive to making sales.
    That said, most brands I think start taking orders 6 months in advance so they can get a bunch of cars on the road asap to increase customer awareness of a new car. This then promotes the brand and people walk in to the showroom and say "I just saw the new ......... on the road and it looks great blah blah". I would expect this is how the megane is selling. The tv bit doesnt do a lot to sell cars. People see the megane on the road and say, I like it a lot, or, I hate it a lot.
    So if renault expects to sell the 182 with no cars on the road at release time, I dont think they can expect much customer awareness. The first thing to do would be to call existing customers and start taking orders.
    Anyone looking for the current clio would do well to take advantage of the over supply of stock at the moment. I know I did.
    blacklotus99

XTC

Anyone looking for the current clio would do well to take advantage of the over supply of stock at the moment. I know I did.
    Did you get the F1 pack thrown in

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Did you get the F1 pack thrown in

- XTC206 -
    I noticed that in the paper. You will be surprised to learn that I didnt! Safe to say I will be placing a rather terse call to the dealer tomorrow to claim the prize.
    blacklotus99

1000+ Posts

Your comments above are spot on...the very reason why i didnt end up buying a 172 when they first came out...1. i knew more than the salesperson
    about their product 2. they stuffed me around bigtime for weeks and i just gave up as it was too hard buying a Renault product.
    The funny thing was that when they took my name and address [as they do ]
    to send me out an invite to come for a test drive [it never came ! ] they keep sending me huge envelopes full of Renault info and now after 2 years i am still getting the stuff...but guess what?...its been all brochures on the
    Scenic for Gods sake.
    I said to them i'm only interested in the 172 and NOTHING else!
    Now i'm back in the market for a a new car again and i'm interested to hear what "runout" deals you ppl are getting on the 172. What am i expected to pay for one?
    Saw someone on carsales .com trying to sell their 172 [2004 ] for $38500 !!
    He has to be dreaming surely !! cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v
    Saw someone on carsales .com trying to sell their 172 [2004 ] for $38500 !!
    He has to be dreaming surely !!
    They sure are dreaming. I've been looking at prices a little bit lately as well. Some dealers want $33900 for a demonstrator built in 03 with 4500 kms. In 8 months this will be classed as a 2 year old car with absolutely terrible resale. Little wonder why they sit there on the yard for weeks on end.

Some people are asking near 30K for a 2001 model. Makes me laugh!

The best value example I saw recently was a 2002 with 16k kms. It was advertised for 25.9 when it sold.

Since the RCS came out I have filled out forms from the Motorshow and also forms online expressing interest in a test drive. I've not been contacted once.

Blacklotus - how good a deal did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by macquered

............snip........

Since the RCS came out I have filled out forms from the Motorshow and also forms online expressing interest in a test drive. I've not been contacted once.

...........snip..........
    I've received quite the opposite from Alfa. I filled out a form to test drive a 147GTA, and I've been contacted no less than 4 times to tee up a date. Fantastic service if you ask me - and the people at the dealership have also been well informed when I've spoken to them - makes a nice change. But if, as BlackLotus99 says, they are proving hard to shift, then maybe that's been the impetus. Now all I have to do is find the time..........
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Geez man I'd definately be making the time to test drive a GTA. Hell I'd take a day off work tomorrow.

Yep, that's Alfa for you. Their salesmen are more than happy to just talk cars for ages.

Brenno, you could just call Renault direct and ask them to arrange it all for you. That's what they're there for.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

excuse my ignorance... but what does the 182 have to offer over the current model apart from a HP gain?

Is it still the current shape clio? or is it getting a new look too?

I am going to be looking at getting a car in the nearish future. Been looking at Integra Type R's, gone off them abit. Not so keen on the Gti180. The new clio could be worth a look though.

is there going to be a price varience?

cheers

Julian

The process of trying to find out about the new 182 has been completely torturous. My brother who lives in London told me they were coming out last year, went to or spoke to various sydney dealers who started off saying that they had never heard of the car, they still seemed to doubt the existence of the new model even after I directed them to the French Renault website which described the new car in detail in their press release dated November 2003.

Following that, I was then told they wouldn't be coming to Australia because of ADR compliance problems. Then I was told they might come but not till next year (2005). Now it would seem that the specials advertised indicate the new model will be here soon.

I was in NZ recently (where you can buy the mid-engined V6 clio) and they were expecting Clio 182's in April, so 182's here in July seems possible.

It should be possible to pick a current 172 up for $35,000 on the road given the deals that were on offer around December / January when I last enquired.

What annoyed me about dealers here is that they know so little about the product they sell, and certainly didn't show much initiative as far as finding out any more than their boss could/would tell them.

I am definitley buying a 182 when they come out but still would like to know if they will be coming out with the cup suspension option. This is listed as the must have option in every road test I have read to date. Does anyone know if they will have this option? Since the current 172's have 15" wheels whereas the Euro spec 172 models have 16" wheels I hold out little hope.

regards

Chris

Will the new colours be released as well or will we be still stuck with red, silver, blue and black???

Cya Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I'm guessing that the 182 will have 16" rims (bad), more choice in colours(good), and a $1000 price rise (bad)

I think you'd have to be nuts to pay 35K onroad for a 172 at the moment.

Xsara - The 182 also has a mild facelift, but the changes are minor. Dual exhaust pipes.

If you can find a DC5R for low 30's then I would definately go for that.

Talking about bad sales service and so on, where you guys go? I got mine from Waitara, sydney. The sales woman was really nice, the buying experience for this car was better then any other place I've ever been, and I have been to 2 Holden dealers, 1 Honda dealer, 1 Nissan/Mitsubishi dealer, 1 I sell everything dealer to buy cars in the last 3 years. She actauly knew about the car, albeit more from a chick's point of view, but she was more then happy to share her experience in terms of driving (and hitting things), as well as the features and things it was great.
    How ever I never ever fill out forms to wait for a test drive, because you will never get those! Despite teh fact that you think these people will do anythignt o get your name and contact details in their computers. I was interested in the Nissan Almera (the Pulsar hatch), thy never sent me anythign back. Wrote down my name for the new A3, nothing was ever sent to me. Friend dropped his details for the R32, nothing was sent. I say, if you really want to arrange a test drive? Pick up the thing called telephone, because dealers do that, and a lot of times there are miss commnication from the car company to its dealers. If you reallt want to consider that car, you'd pick up the phone it is not hard!
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Will the new colours be released as well or will we be still stuck with red, silver, blue and black???

Cya Stalled
    new car has re-worked exhaust system, suspension, chasis tune. I think some sort of engine parts modification as well, perhaps even a software tune to give the extra 10ps. Biggest change i think is still the exhaust system, its revised from the extractors as far as I recall. There are new colours, at least in the UK. I don't care because every single car I have bought in the past was silver and i shall not break that tradition. Unless it happens to be a Land Rover defender, or a Gallardo.
    The head lights at least on the Euro model now has greyish coloured plastic, rather then the current black, new cup spec alloys looks out of place, why can't they just keep the F1 EVO Cup! The twin exhaust tips are equally out of place, its not that twin exhaust is BAD, its just with this new design, they don't flow into the rest of the car. No cabin change as far as I know.
    Doubt the cup spec chasis pack will come here. I'm happy with mine, 10PS increase in power means nothing to me.
    Karl
    -----------------

I was reading somewhere about a standard 6 disk stacker- correct me if im wrong but this was on a uk spec car???

Cya STalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    I was reading somewhere about a standard 6 disk stacker- correct me if im wrong but this was on a uk spec car???

Cya STalled
    given the current 172 has a standard 6 disc stacker, as well as an aditional in dash player. you'd hope the new one would keep the same level of equipment.
    Karl
    -----------------

since my last post i have done abit of internet searching and come to this conclusion.

The 182 has marginal if any real noticable face lift. Need to take a double look or closey examine the 172 and 182 together to see any change.

I am an advocate for what alot of you deem as "rice" on here. but even i dont like the twin exhaust set-up on the 182. yuk!

There have been marginal suspension upgrades and bigger wheels dished out to the 182. the extra 10hp comes from the a revised air intake system.

So i am going to look around for a 03 model 172hp Clio second handy with low klm's. buy a car that someone has "taken a hit" from and save a few $$$.

Also found insurance is quite low on these for such a pocket rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsara
    There have been marginal suspension upgrades and bigger wheels dished out to the 182. the extra 10hp comes from the a revised air intake system.
    That's 10 PS as far as I know, 10HP is more then 10PS. The 172's 124KW converts to 166.16HP, or 168. something PS not. so I don't actaully know which is right, but the 182 is PS, not HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsara
    Also found insurance is quite low on these for such a pocket rocket.
    that's because at least NRMA calssify it as a hatch back, rather then a sports car for some reason. Each car has insurance points, and the clio's points makes it an ordinary hatch back, that is named sport. this is what an NRMA woman told me, because when i switched isurance from my astra, despite the RS's 37k price tag Vs 22500, the RS's insurance was cheaper!
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    They sure are dreaming. I've been looking at prices a little bit lately as well. Some dealers want $33900 for a demonstrator built in 03 with 4500 kms. In 8 months this will be classed as a 2 year old car with absolutely terrible resale. Little wonder why they sit there on the yard for weeks on end.

Some people are asking near 30K for a 2001 model. Makes me laugh!

The best value example I saw recently was a 2002 with 16k kms. It was advertised for 25.9 when it sold.

Blacklotus - how good a deal did you get if you don't mind me asking?
    Ok, first of all, there are a couple of specifics I have read here that seem incorrect according to the information that has been published on the new car to date.

1. The extra 10hp. According to evo uk (feb 04), the hp increase is due to following: "The 172 used a four into one manifold whilst the 182 uses a 4-2-1 system that improves flow.....revised metallic catalyst and twin pipes mimicking the clio v6"

2. Chassis and suspension changes: According to evo uk (feb 04) "The wheelbase change has come about because of increased castor angle which is now the same as the clio cup racecar's". "The rear anti-roll bar is stiffer and the suspension mountings have been strengthened to cope with additional cornering loads. Springs and dampers have been reworked. Spring rates are up 10%, dampers are stiffer in compression, softer in rebound to improve traction.

3. The "cup" option: Whether it comes here is unknown currently. For an extra 200 pounds you get the following: "3mm lower ride height, spring rates up a further 20% at front and 15% rear and tricker Michelins (Exalto2)" and from Car UK (Apr 04): "Cup option widens front and rear track by 20mm and 10mm respectively", plus as above and, "adds anthracite coloured wheels."

4. Further comments from evo uk such as "If you buy a 182 without the cup option you will regret it" and probably the most unusual statement: "In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the cup chassis set up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think its the best hot hatch ever built"
    This surely is bold given they have said previously the GTI 1.9 etc will never be built again etc etc.
    And from Car UK (Apr 04): "This is a gem of a car" and of the 182, "We think this is the best hot hatch you can buy for the money"
    And from evo uk again (April 04): "Be in no doubt the 182 needs skill and concentration to hustle, but pay it due respect and the rewards are amongst the richest and most entertaining you'll find on four wheels.", and possibly the biggest wrap I think: "However, what Renault (and we) know is that the very best hot hatches have an edge; a hint of volatility that intensifies the experience. The R5 Turbo, Peugeot 205 GTI and Clio Williams all had it. And now so too does the 182. Best hot hatch ever? You wont find me arguing."

The spec sheet from the 182 in evo uk (apr 04) claims the wheels as 7 x 16in but the tyre spec as 235/45 ZR17? They appear to be 16in in the photos. This is an odd one.

Ok other issues. 147GTA. If you are the owner of a 172 or GTI-6 you will be disappointed. As I have said before, the motor is fantastic, the rest of the car is crap. Mind you, if you are buying it for the look? Well, I suppose you wouldnt be here reading this then. I encourage you to go and drive it and decide for yourself though. And yes, the salesman will love to talk to you. The reason is they are all old school Alfa boys who have been dealing the cars for years. Sadly for them, all the actual car people have deserted the brand and they have noone left to talk to. All the people I know who were talking up the GTA before it arrived cancelled their orders after driving it.

Difficulty in test drives: I have never had trouble getting drives of almost any car, with the exception of ferrari (because they're dickheads). (I have driven 355, 550 and 360 but not at ferrari) I think its an attitude thing. I have the attitude that I could buy anything I drive if I like it enough. And the key limiter there is enough. I have driven lots of sports cars over the last while and the only one that stumped me was the Gallardo. Couldnt justify $420K. Mind you, from what I hear they are going to drop $200K wholesale in the first six months. Might have one sooner rather than later! Have the right attitude and be a "buyer of cars", you can drive whatever you like, whenever. They will bring the cars to you. Im serious.

Pricing for 172. I left it to last. As I have said before, now is a good time to buy a 172 cheap as Renault Aus is overstocked by around 100 cars I believe. The weekend SMH advertised free F1 gear (clothing and other crap) if you buy a 172 now. Remember its crap and costs the dealer not 1 cent. If you want the F1 stuff fine, but dont bargain for it. Tell them you want it for nothing because it cost them nothing.
    The 172 costs the dealer $30,990 to buy from Renault. Ive seen the sheet.
    I told them I would give them $1,000 to pay the wages of the staff but no more. That put the car at $32K. They said I should pay the on road cost (stamp duty transfer etc.) I disagreed. We talked more and I said finally I will relent and give you $500 toward the on road cost but no more. Otherwise I will go and buy one from another dealer. (Remember they all have access to the same cars from the warehouse) They sold it to me for $32.5K. That said, I pushed very hard and was prepared to buy the car on the spot, and I made that very clear from the start. I said, "I am here to buy a car and if the deal is good enough you can take my money today." It took some hours but thats where it ended up. I dont see any reason why anyone cant do similar.
    Some people are asking stupid money for 02 and 03 cars. They arent worth that much wholesale. That said, there is quite a lot of private market demand for 02 and 03 stuff which keeps the resales quite high. I looked at a couple of 02 and 03 cars at dealers, but they didnt look great (wrong colours for me) and didnt drive very well either. Plus I laughed at the guy when he told me the price. The difference in the lease payments for the sake of $5K is very marginal. New car was a better option.

The 182 should be significantly better than the current car given the writeups. That said though, its always up to the individual driver to drive it and assess it for themselves. I know I will be.
    blacklotus99

The 172 costs the dealer $30,990 to buy from Renault. Ive seen the sheet.
    I told them I would give them $1,000 to pay the wages of the staff but no more. That put the car at $32K. They said I should pay the on road cost (stamp duty transfer etc.) I disagreed. We talked more and I said finally I will relent and give you $500 toward the on road cost but no more. Otherwise I will go and buy one from another dealer. (Remember they all have access to the same cars from the warehouse) They sold it to me for $32.5K. That said, I pushed very hard and was prepared to buy the car on the spot, and I made that very clear from the start. I said, "I am here to buy a car and if the deal is good enough you can take my money today." It took some hours but thats where it ended up. I dont see any reason why anyone cant do similar.
    which dealer is this??? Maybe I will go and buy another one!
    Karl
    -----------------

I purchased my 172 in December for $33K changeover for a clapped out 88 civic( 285K's stuffed diff ). I had no problems with dealers or test drives for the Clio I told the salesman that I inteneded to drive a GTI 180 before making a purchase . Since there were none availiable and no peugeot dealer could give me delivery details it suited me to get the Clio. GWS were keen for me not to drive the Pug ( obviously seen as an unknown threat) and agreed to 33K changeover fairly quickly & delivered the car in 3 days

At the same time I was looking at the Focus ST170 & Astra turbo
    I didn't have any problem with the Holden Dealer but the 2 Ford dealers didn't seem to be too organised or enthusiastic. I made all initial enquiries on the web GWS contacted me within 2 hours and oganised to bring a car to me to drive! The first Ford dealer took a week and did not seem too interested in offering me a test drive and I got info from Ford themselves 6 weeks later.

I agree that new 172's should be availiable at the 32-33K on the road with the 182 on the way

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information