• 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By alan moore
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 3 Post By alan moore
  • 2 Post By alan moore

Thread: rpm redline R8 major 1100

Default rpm redline R8 major 1100

Hello All,
    What is the rpm redline for an R8 1100 major? My interior is stripped and now the car is deceivably loud. I am installing a tachometer this weekend and just want to set the parameters.

Thanks,
    Ben

Advertisement
    vivid likes this.

Valve bounce.
    jaahn, Kim Luck, bowie and 1 others like this.
    KB

Yes indeed! My memory is that a standard R8/R10 1100 valve bounces at about 6,200 - 6,300 rpm. A 8S or 10S is good for at least 7,000 and modified ones a lot more than that.
    jaahn likes this.

Whilst the old (non cross-flow) Renault Sierra motor will rev its head off way past the redline, the acknowledged stock redline is 6,000rpm, this being at the end of the chequered “reserve of speed and power” zone commencing at 5,500rpm.

Obviously, if the motor has had “known” work done to it, as opposed to “claims” of being modified, then you can experiment further. But I’d say at the moment, consider the motor as stock, and use the recommended limits. Obviously also don’t wring the neck of a tired motor.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

cheers! I have been avoiding going above 4,500... redline is firmly planted at 6,000...but haven't gone above 5,000...cuz she is a bit tired!

Sent from my LG-H830 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Just wring its neck until something goes bang. It probably wont go bang, but you'll have fun trying.

Mine never had a tach (or one that worked...) so just change up when it stops making any more power or just wont spin any faster... One R10 I bought out of a paddock for $50 I tried to kill - it had a big end knock and I just couldnt make it die, and I really really tried. Valve bounce rev limiter/shift indicator was its standard method of operation.
    Berridale and jaahn like this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    cheers! I have been avoiding going above 4,500... redline is firmly planted at 6,000...but haven't gone above 5,000...cuz she is a bit tired! Sent from my LG-H830 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Mine, with a 10S head (I think.... ) runs out of puff by 5500 rpm and there's nothing to gain from revving further. It WILL rev further but.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Valve bounce.
    Hi
    My memory of driving a lightly modified R8 engined R750 was it would do about 6000+ RPM at valve bounce in all the gears including top. Belonged to my mate in the '60s ! Needless to say we did that all the time. A favorite was to leave work on payday and race() the mechanic from across the road, up to Curry Curry pub on the back road, about 20miles, at just under valve bounce all the way. Have a beer and come home again. He had a 1600 Toyota Corona lightly modified too.
    That little car never stopped till it got rolled and then was replaced by a Gordini engined one. That previous engine was reused too. Those engines were unburstable in my memory. Ahhh the good ol'days.
    Jaahn
    JohnW, Berridale, Kim Luck and 1 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

My old R8 would pull an indicated 80mph in third and in top the needle went horizontal.
    I think that works out to be near 8,000rpm?
    Extractors,trick Waggott cam, carb and small chamber 8 port head gave a high CR.
    forzamacchi likes this.

Max. power in an standard R8 or R10 1108 was actually delivered at 4800 RPM according to my handbook. Modifications or a strong tail wind could increase the revs substantially. A tailwind cost less than engine mods..........
    forzamacchi and jaahn like this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Weakest point in the drivetrain is the diff - the internal spiders can explode (and by explode I mean punch a hole in the bellhousing at 100kph and dump all the transmission oil onto the road on the Westgate Bridge...).

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Weakest point in the drivetrain is the diff - the internal spiders can explode (and by explode I mean punch a hole in the bellhousing at 100kph and dump all the transmission oil onto the road on the Westgate Bridge...).
    Hi Haakon
    I know i shouldn't ask but 'how do you know that ?'
    Lucky it was not in a corner at speed or it might have been even more difficult than normal to stay facing to the front
    Jaahn

But at least it's a fair incline, so it will just run off.
    KB

Over the years I have run a 330 gearbox I have sheared off 9 sunwheel outputs, and broken 2 shafts that the spider gears run on, and split the sleeve that connects the input shaft to the spigot shaft, although all with a reasonably warm 16TS motor. To give the box some credit it was designed for 50 hp, and I had 116Hp at the wheels. Mostly the breaks occurred in first gear with the multiplication of twisting torque, so the idea was to not hit it too hard in first.
    JohnW likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Haakon
    I know i shouldn't ask but 'how do you know that ?'
    Lucky it was not in a corner at speed or it might have been even more difficult than normal to stay facing to the front
    Jaahn
    The Reno gods were however looking favourably on me that day, as all the sun wheel bits jammed up and I still had drive - it got me all the way back to Box Hill and a bit of the way back home to St Kilda before the bits fell out and I lost drive... Obviously that whole gearbox was toast...

But waiting for a mate to come and tow me home on a quiet side street was waaaaaaaaay better than being stuck on the Westgate!!!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Over the years I have run a 330 gearbox I have sheared off 9 sunwheel outputs, and broken 2 shafts that the spider gears run on, and split the sleeve that connects the input shaft to the spigot shaft, although all with a reasonably warm 16TS motor. To give the box some credit it was designed for 50 hp, and I had 116Hp at the wheels. Mostly the breaks occurred in first gear with the multiplication of twisting torque, so the idea was to not hit it too hard in first.
    Hmmm slow learner or just too exuberant
    cheers jaahn
    forzamacchi likes this.

I was competing most weekends with the R8. I probably broke it about twice a year. I could pull the box out, replace the broken bits and have it back in inside
    8 hrs. The swing axle box in the 4cv has R16 internals. I have not broken it in 23 years, but I don't compete in it either. Many years ago I did run a flat 13 quarter in the 4cv though , with the motor out of the R8.
    forzamacchi, JohnW and jaahn like this.

Allan I am hoping to put a stock 1647cc with the twin 40dcoe carbs in my 1958 dauphine at present time I am running a 1970 ish 330 trans axle . I don't plan on rodding it but I do hope to play a little ! will the trans axle hold up or should I be looking at the 336 big box conversion ???

Manic GT
    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I was competing most weekends with the R8. I probably broke it about twice a year. I could pull the box out, replace the broken bits and have it back in inside
    8 hrs. The swing axle box in the 4cv has R16 internals. I have not broken it in 23 years, but I don't compete in it either. Many years ago I did run a flat 13 quarter in the 4cv though , with the motor out of the R8.

^^ Depends on how many spare gearboxes you have available?
    KB

Default 4CV Gordini Redline?

Thanks for the interesting thread. Who might be able to suggest a redline for Kermit? 904cc, head ported, polished and shaved. Weber twin throat carby, stainless steel headers. Definitely not a tired motor, having been totally rebuilt in September 2016 with fewer than 1,000 clicks in it since. All suggestions gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Turner View Post
    Thanks for the interesting thread. Who might be able to suggest a redline for Kermit? 904cc, head ported, polished and shaved. Weber twin throat carby, stainless steel headers. Definitely not a tired motor, having been totally rebuilt in September 2016 with fewer than 1,000 clicks in it since. All suggestions gratefully received.
    Comes down to longevity, but I think 6000 rpm will be plenty in short bursts in the lower gears, given the three bearing crank, longish stroke and fairly dainty componentry. Maybe only 5500 depending on valve spring tension and cam, controlling the valve float.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by manicgt View Post
    Allan I am hoping to put a stock 1647cc with the twin 40dcoe carbs in my 1958 dauphine at present time I am running a 1970 ish 330 trans axle . I don't plan on rodding it but I do hope to play a little ! will the trans axle hold up or should I be looking at the 336 big box conversion ???

Manic GT
    The 330 will hold up OK, just keep clear of giving it full throttle in first gear, and launching the car hard. The Dauphine is also a bit lighter than my R8, so that is also an advantage toward your gearbox longevity. I have found that twin Webers on a stock 16 type engine doesn't add much performance, but it does sound good.
    JohnW and Bustamif like this.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information