RCS Clutch problem... maybe ? Advice please :)
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default RCS Clutch problem... maybe ? Advice please :)

Hey

The clutch on my recently aquired Clio Sport only engages (or is it disengages?) during the last inch (or maybe less) of the pedal travel. Its fine between gears but taking off it can be difficult. The clutch never actually slips at all while driving tho even wen accelerating hard in any gear. I understand all clutchs are different and work at different points and I can drive half decent but mine seems a little far out.

Is it meant to be this way?

Can it be adjusted ?
    If so whats involved ?

Thanks

Josh

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Its the way it is...

You might be able to shorted the cable/rod or whatevery its connected to, but u'll get used to it.

Its high yes, but the ol Hyundai was high too, its just a matter of getting used to the position where it engages... i Normally lift it off a fair bit before take off (as @ 2/3rd's out its not touching as you said).

I think the other thing that makes it a real biyatch is that it doesnt slide smoothly out, it jerks out in about 2-3 places upon releasing it! (mite need to modify something with some bearings somewhere... sometime)
    That coupled with the fact that i think the car has a much smaller flywheel (than the ol Hyundai), so i'm not really used to givin it soo many revvs off the mark...

Perseverence... its not the easiest car to drive, but when u get used to it u'll love it!!!

I agree with you there Nate.

It's definately normal Josh. It took me a little while to get used to. But it's really second nature now. Took around a month or two to get used to off the top of my head. Had the car 2 and a bit years now, and lovin' it.

Practice makes perfect. Just remember to REV it. She loves to purr. oh does she love to purr. The car that is. not anything else...well actually. No i won't go there. ok. i'm stoppin now.

BYE!
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

1000+ Posts

I'd agree that's the way it is. On the two times I've "borrowed" MY 4's Clio without his knowledge, I've given it plenty of revs when taking off . On the times I've driven it when MY 4 gave me the keys, I've also given it plenty of revs

Derek

Sorry Dave, couldn't resist taking the mickey out of ya!

Hehee! G'day Deka! Hows it goin?

You forgot to mention stealing my GIRLFRIEND in the car...you SLEEEEZE BAG!

Oh, and i'm fully aware that you gave MY4 some rev's i could hear the engine pulling thru the traffic like a monster! Love that engine noise, it's not very often that you get to hear your own car from the outside...Deka when shall we tee up another rev?
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    I agree with you there Nate.

It's definately normal Josh. It took me a little while to get used to. But it's really second nature now. Took around a month or two to get used to off the top of my head. Had the car 2 and a bit years now, and lovin' it.

Practice makes perfect. Just remember to REV it. She loves to purr. oh does she love to purr. The car that is. not anything else...well actually. No i won't go there. ok. i'm stoppin now.

BYE!
    I agree, as a new rs owner the clutch is rather strange. Ive had mine a week now and have watched bemused as grandmas leave me at the lights while im waiting for the clutch to engage. Or people beep at me as I start to roll back into them. That said, when its out and you see it swing past the 5000 mark you seem to forget the idiosyncrasies of what is a rather odd little car. They do really need to look into the quality control though. I already have half a dozen things that need to be fixed and Ive only had it a week. I stll think the middle seat belt is an afterthought and generally poorly designed. Could they not have fitted a standard lap sash like everyone else?
    I have seen a couple of rs' in my local area, lower north shore, specifically a red one and also a silver. Are these folks part of this forum? If so (or others in the local area) would be good to take a quick punt sometime. Get in touch. I saw two guys flying up the expressway in Maserati Shamal's (probably the most violently fast car I have ever driven.) the other week. Got me thinking.

Yeah like i said the clutch never actually slips so i thought it was just the way the car is. Thanks for confirming guys I actually find it fine to take off at speed but its a little difficult to accelerate slowly from standing still. I'll just have to get used to it... or just keep taking off fast maybe

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
    its a little difficult to accelerate slowly from standing still.

Josh
    think why the hell did you buy this thing for, then that's not going to be a big problem I find it easy to get off slowly wheny ou give about 2500 and just let the car roll instead of mash down on the pedal. You'll make a lot of noise, but if you want a easy slow start that's the only way.

Although recently I've been able to do some nice no noise slow off the line you'd think so too after 6 month of ownership.
    Karl
    -----------------

Yeah I bought it to go fast but a slow low rev's take off comes in handy when your on a steep hill in the pouring rain with 50 other impatient drivers behind you

Yeah I bought it to go fast but a slow low rev's take off comes in handy when your on a steep hill in the pouring rain with 50 other impatient drivers behind you
    no no no see wrong there again, in thsoe situation you will be delighted to see the esp light flashing furiously if you have that installed, and do the above starting procedures hahaha enjoy!
    Karl
    -----------------

1000+ Posts

Middle seat belt???

I think thats one of the best features of the car!!!
    Its such a nice little gadget!, those 2 little clips... everyone that sees it is like "WOW, that is cool"

Lower Nth Shore...
    Well i'm East Ryde & Work @ St Leonards... blue one, with Bog stock plates... YVR xxx

Icon6

THE MIDDLE SEAT BELT IS HELL COOL!

I was gonna mention that before Blacklotus. Why don't u like it?!

I think it's great - makes the back seat look much neater too not having a belt hangin' over the seat. PLUS - I've also found the actual seat belt component on the roof doubles up nicely as a coat-hanger point for my shirts/work clothes, etc!

Upstairs for thinkin', downstairs for sleeping! Or not.

:
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

Nope no ESP for me unfortunatly. Just massive wheel spin if i dump it too fast in the wet. I like the rear centre seatbelt to. Its different and I do think the rear seat looks cleaner without the belt on it.

Nope no ESP for me unfortunatly. Just massive wheel spin if i dump it too fast in the wet. I like the rear centre seatbelt to. Its different and I do think the rear seat looks cleaner without the belt on it.
    Oh! oh well, enjoy the wheel spin then I suppose? haha I get that too actaulyl with ESP on. its not a very intrusive system, but a very good one, you can hardly notice its working, and it also makes you think you are a better driver
    yeah the rear center belt is nice give it to the french to design things. But I doubt you will ever use it though, because I have tried to fit 5 adults in it. In the end we decided it was better to drive 2 cars. I have fit 4 adults in it though, pretty okay in fact. But the 5th seat is well, i don't know why its there!
    Karl
    -----------------

THE MIDDLE SEAT BELT IS HELL COOL!

I was gonna mention that before Blacklotus. Why don't u like it?!

I think it's great - makes the back seat look much neater too not having a belt hangin' over the seat. PLUS - I've also found the actual seat belt component on the roof doubles up nicely as a coat-hanger point for my shirts/work clothes, etc!

Upstairs for thinkin', downstairs for sleeping! Or not.

:
    It seems clearly an afterthought for ADR compliance so it can seat five. Not sure how five would fit anyway? I wouldnt mind it, IF IT DIDNT RATTLE ALL THE TIME. I have taped it up now in an attempt to retain a little sanity. Bad quality control of that sort really pisses me off. Retentive, yeah sure, but its a new car and this is 2004. Seems to me as cool as the megane handbrake. Gimmick factor. Whats the story with "will always start second time round when cold"? Fine when its warm. Has anyone had this fixed, I understand it affects all the cars?
    blacklotus99

2004 RenaultSport Clio 172

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Coupe

Blacklotus, what was your name again? I PM'd u a while back think u may have told me, but i've forgotten sorry

I'm not sure, do they not have the seat belt in a different place O/S? I haven't seen an overseas model, so i cannot say.

Well that's unlucky that your one rattles - mine is actually very stable, and makes no noise. I think in a way i've been fairly lucky with my car all in all, compared to others.

The cold start issue really doesn't affect me....it's only not started first time if i try to start it too quick or something. But generally if i just pace myself, put the key in and give it a good solid turn it starts first time everytime.
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus99
    It seems clearly an afterthought for ADR compliance so it can seat five. Not sure how five would fit anyway?
    Ever seen those small versions of humans getting around, usually accompanied by a man and a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Ever seen those small versions of humans getting around, usually accompanied by a man and a woman?
    As you can probably deduce from my choice of cars I am not currently inflicted with that issue. In any case, I thought that was why the mpv was invented. Maybe we should start a discussion about how many small humans you can fit in a scenic.
    blacklotus99

I'm not sure, do they not have the seat belt in a different place O/S? I haven't seen an overseas model, so i cannot say.
    I havent driven a 172 overseas so am not sure about the centre belt. The clio v6 which I drove in the uk has the motor where the back seats would be so dont know. Its a shame the v6 255 wont likely ever get here, its a great drive, bit like the 911 in handling.
    Has anyone driven a 172 overseas and noticed the rear centre belt position?
    blacklotus99

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus99
    As you can probably deduce from my choice of cars I am not currently inflicted with that issue. In any case, I thought that was why the mpv was invented. Maybe we should start a discussion about how many small humans you can fit in a scenic.
    Translation: "Oh yes, rather good point there, Stuey, old boy."

Default Clio clutch issue revisited

I'm thinking that maybe I do have a problem with my clutch after all. I said in my original message that the clutch only starts to grab in the last inch of pedal travel.... well its actually lucky to be 10mm and when the car gets hot it can be even less. After a few decent starts (i dont thrash it or dump the clutch) it can get so it hardly wants to grab at all in first. I'm getting Renault to check it next week some time but I've read posts on cliosport.net about the same problem and one guy said he had the pedal position reset.

Anyone know anything about this ?

Mine sits about an inch or more higher than the brake pedal. Normal ?

The thing is it never seems to slip one I've got any momentum up.

Cheers

Josh

I'm pretty sure the RCS has a cable operated clutch
    Simply find where the cable attaches to the clutch fork and tighten up the nut a bit more ( you will probably have to lossen off a lock nut 1st).
    The way you describe it the clutch will not slip but you may have trouble selecting gears
    The demo I drove had the opposite problem the clutch did not bite until the pedal was almost all the way out.
    Cheers
    Ps rear belt is cool and functional especially with A 2YO , 5 YO and adult in the back

Quote Originally Posted by RSCLIO
    The demo I drove had the opposite problem the clutch did not bite until the pedal was almost all the way out.
    Yeah thats what I meant. Sorry I probably wasnt clear. It doesnt bite until its about 10mm or less from being totally released.

In that case you need to loosen off the cable
    The tough part I think will be acessing the cable I haven't checked it out on mine
    The point is my car was different to the demo so its not just like that

yea, I find the clutch is hella sensitive, but once perfected allows for some of the most supernatual traffic merging in T intersections witnessed by mankind! (good for takeoffs). But after driving my girlfriend's new Honda Jazz around for a week (while my european sports car stays in the garage to be played with on weekends ) which has the most user friendly clutch every built (very light and long in release) I stalled about three times when I got back in the Clio to go for a blast!

Another note - Blacklotus; how you mentioned that the Clio starts 2nd time every time in the cold, I have found the solution is to turn the key to ignition 2 (one step back from actually turning the car on) and letting the fuel lines prime for about four seconds. Then switch on! This has worked for me first time every time since i started doing it and I have successfully started my car in 4 degree cold on a typicall f$%king freezing Lismore winter morning.

The only other thing I will mention RE traction control; I heard that in the wet, doing a heavy dump from the standing stop will make it work a bit like launch control. Well, I tried it at the lights in Tugun (up the coast near Gold Coast) and got a whole assload of wheel spin and not much else - and was outrun by a doofed up excel in the process (oh the humanity). For cornering though, it totally rocks. I arrived at work so early today that the whole car park was empty and it was raining > so I gave it a dose of full stering lock and full throttle out of second. The result, you could feel the car loose all traction, but still went exactly where it was pointed. I travelled almost perfectly sideways into my park... shame no one was around to see my P plating act of greatness - not that that will be happening much as of next week when my licence suspension starts...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information