R10 shocks, again!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunroof

Thread: R10 shocks, again!

Default R10 shocks, again!

I know this subject has been on here before, but I would like to share my observations/experience.

Suspecting that the rear shocks on my R10 were past their used-by date, I started looking around for affordable options. I went onto the GABRIEL (S. Africa) web site and found that their part no. for R10 rears was the same as for Mini sedan rears. In addition, their part no. for R10 fronts was also the same as for the rears.

Consequently I shopped around for a good price, went and bought a pair of Monroe Mini rear shocks, and fitted them. While I was at it, I also replaced the axle straps (one had broken anyway) with new galvanised chain inside clear flexible vinyl tubing. I set the axle travel less than standard, The max. drop is now only fractionally past horizontal, i.e. minimal positive camber. I took the car for a test and all feels good, definitely an improvement.

I still think it quite strange that the same shock is listed for 3 different applications, all entirely different. I also noticed that the new shocks are far stiffer on extension than they are on compression, possibly a good thing for control of swing axles. Anyway I'm happy with the results. For info and comment.

Advertisement

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Interesting. I recall Mini shockers being discussed before for R10 application - years ago probably. Do they really have the same travel?? Sounds odd, doesn't it, Mini suspension being limited in travel relative to R8/R10 you'd think. That's not to be rude about a clever design that was very successful, albeit unprofitable.

Personally, I've stuck with Koni for nearly 40 years on our R8. Still available, at a price of course.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I bought Mini rear shocks for my Floride S and yes they fitted fine but I felt they were far too soft. So have put the old ones back on they were stiffer than the new Mini ones.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I bought Mini rear shocks for my Floride S and yes they fitted fine but I felt they were far too soft. So have put the old ones back on they were stiffer than the new Mini ones.
    Rather less weight at the back of a Mini than one of our Renaults..... More sophisticated suspension tuning I reckon, too, but that is just me.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information