Renault Scenic/megane crankshaft pulley key?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Breitie
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By Berridale
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By driven

Thread: Renault Scenic/megane crankshaft pulley key?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault Scenic/megane crankshaft pulley key?

i am putting the timing belt on the 2ltr Scenic, waited five weeks for parts, sent wrong pulleys with the 10mm centre.

OMG moment.

I am checking the marks and notice the crank cog spins , is not locked on the crankshaft!
    When I get the cog off and there is no key in the key-way, no witness mark that there has been a key in there?

Although i had a bolt in the crank i am lucky i didn't start it before i put everything back on!

The must have a key surely?

Advertisement

I will head out to the farm maybe a Renault 19 or a Peugeot has the same key?

Also noticed the cam ends have different offsets to the 1600 engine, left one horizontal and the other slightly down , on the one camshaft?
    Last edited by Berridale; 27th August 2016 at 03:18 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Well Berridale, you have discovered the built-in nightmare that is inherent in a timing belt change on that particular engine. No key! Who would have thought. That is why even the highly trained 'experts' at Renault dealerships get it wrong. They ruined my engine. The crankshaft pulley is held in place by friction after the bolt has been tightened to the correct torque. The trick is to determine its correct position in relation to the crankshaft and camshafts. The only way to do that is to lock the shafts in place, by carefully prescribed means, BEFORE you take the pulley off. Have fun.
    Last edited by Breitie; 29th August 2016 at 07:56 AM.
    Berridale likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I wasn"t going to have a drink but think i might change my mind.

If i had known i would have marked the crankshaft, pin punch a dot and on the pulley.
    Assumed that the mark on the crank pulley could be used as a TDC guide.

What do you do now?

*I notice the cam ends when end-caps removed are not symmetrical like on the 1600.

So if i manage to get it to run, probably an idea to convert it to a key?
    Last edited by Berridale; 31st August 2016 at 01:44 AM.

COL

Hi Berridale

Before you any further with this cam belt change you should get yourself these tools and follow the instructions, it will save you having to rebuild the engine if you do not have the cam timing exactly right.

https://www.stilling.is/media/img/up...01_English.pdf
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Col,
    got by on the other Scenic a 1600 but this is a different animal.
    Some engines require the extended bracket to lock the cams, according the the tool manual..

Presume that's mine as the cam ends are different to the 1600.

Can't go any further til i get the tool.

Seek out AF user Fordman (or try doing a search). He has done the actual task successfully, and may be able to advise where to go from where you are. Once you get the tool kit of course.
    Berridale likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    This is a known problem and the job must be done exactly by the book. No problems if you do it right but potential disaster if done half right or make your own marks or "i've done plenty of timing belts so I do not need a manual " attitude.

Look at this thread or google further for the correct method and holding tools.
    Rx4 Timing belt change.
    Good luck. Jaahn
    Berridale likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Jaahn and others ,

thanks for the links .
    Reading carefully.

I see included in the "RX4 Belt Change" thread, Balki mentions fitting of a key and machining a key-way in the pulley.
    My crank sprocket has an existing key-way .
    It is narrower but i can enlarge it so it matches the crank key-way.
    This would then simplify later belt changes?

There is a guy selling these "Timing Tool Kits" in Wollongong so i should have one by the end of the week.
    Then it's just a matter of locking the crank with the 8mm pin and locking the cams with the guide plate?

I guess the advantage of the keyless pulley is you can get the timing correct in relation to the crank?

1000+ Posts

Default Replace those bl**dy idler pulleys !!

Hi,
    I do not understand why there has been no kit put together somewhere around the world where the plastic coated pulleys are replaced by solid pulleys, hard plastic or metal. Just use some standard ones to suit another engine. This would remove the problematic coated pulleys which shed their coating and allow the belt to skip and causes the disaster. As far as I know the belts always look good when changed.

AND I could point out for the doubters 5cly petrol VW transporters have no recommendation to change their belts. Just inspect every 100 000km. And they do go for the life of the engine which can be very long, up to 300-400 000 on more commonly. And they are getting old now too, up to 20 years !!

The problem as I see it is the kits are expensive and everyone has a vested interest in selling them. Why try to minimise the cost for the punters. The kits are now a quarter of the worth of the cars and no one is game to not use them for fear of(rightly) a disaster.

Jaahn
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Jaahn,

as you say about the pulleys.
    Both pulleys on this car had cracks , one just hairline cracks , the other split open 2mm so you could see the bearing outer.
    VW do they use metal pulleys, maybe it is the plastic pulley that reduces the life of the belt?

The parts companies don't seem to list by dimensions, if they did you could match to a metal roller.
    43x17mm is a common size.

Fellow Frogger!

Fordman's post was excellent

I made up a cam guide out of a piece of alloy plate .
    Locks into the cams exactly.
    Pinned the crank.

Car going and sounds sweet!
    Thanks all.

Once you get to the core of the matter it makes sense . Just takes time to do.

Put the lower belt cover on before you tighten the crank nut.
    Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    Fordman's post was excellent I made up a cam guide out of a piece of alloy plate . Locks into the cams exactly. Pinned the crank. Car going and sounds sweet! Thanks all. Once you get to the core of the matter it makes sense . Just takes time to do. Put the lower belt cover on before you tighten the crank nut.
    Followed with a mix of interest and horror! Glad it is fixed. Fordman is excellent and a very nice guy to boot.

There's a growing view around, it seems to me, that the belts are way under-rated for life but the pulleys are a real issue if left beyond specified change times/km. The solution is just to change them as specified and find something else to worry about, it seems to me. Our second Scenic (both Series 2 and secondhand) still had its original belt after 9 years (but low km) and the dealer responsible could provide no explanation! I've no doubt the belt would have gone for years but had it changed mainly to get new pulleys in the system.

Cheers
    Fordman likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    Jaahn,

as you say about the pulleys.
    Both pulleys on this car had cracks , one just hairline cracks , the other split open 2mm so you could see the bearing outer.
    VW do they use metal pulleys, maybe it is the plastic pulley that reduces the life of the belt?

The parts companies don't seem to list by dimensions, if they did you could match to a metal roller.
    43x17mm is a common size.
    Hi Berridale,
    Give us pictures of the pulleys and the belt. Milage done(kilometerage ?).

As far as the VW pulleys go I have never looked at them. Just opened the cover enough to inspect the belt and closed it up again. Never had to replace one. Done some serpentine belt pulleys which were hard plastic, and the failure has been noisy bearings.

Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Fordman is excellent and a very nice guy to boot.
    What can I say? Thanks, John.

Just found this old thread today on another search. Realised I missed it completely as we flew out to USA/Canada a couple of days before that, and were away for 2 months. Glad to see my posts have been of use.

JohnW likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

As good as many of why keyless bushings are fantastic

http://www.skf.com/binary/21-160614/...gs_10114EN.pdf
    jo proffi likes this.

Thread Information