Spare key for a Renault Megane
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Spare key for a Renault Megane

Hello all, I just bought a Renault Megane over the weekend. It came with only 1 key, I am finding out that the only way to get another key programed is that the key has to be shipped out from France, and be programmed here in Australia and cost close to $450 .....

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is there an alternative?

Advertisement

Geoff

Might as well give us more details. Meganes haven't had keys since 2003 so it must be a convertible.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Mr Discounttalk, look at the recent comments just seven posts ago and you will find your answer.
    The price you have been quoted is correct. There is no alternative.
    Seems that there is a run on Megane key cards recently!

He never mentioned cards. He is talking about keys.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

There are after-market alternatives, just as I built the Plip that made its way onto both Renaults and Citroens, regardless of model. If the card is part of the ignition process (I don't know enough about this particular model), it won't give you any more ignition keys but you can have any number of spares for opening and closing, quite cheaply, maybe $30 per key.

There's also equipment that will interrogate your card and then allow you to program any number of clones, but that would mean equipping yourself with pretty much the same gear the sellers have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz View Post
    There are after-market alternatives, just as I built the Plip that made its way onto both Renaults and Citroens, regardless of model. If the card is part of the ignition process (I don't know enough about this particular model), it won't give you any more ignition keys but you can have any number of spares for opening and closing, quite cheaply, maybe $30 per key.

There's also equipment that will interrogate your card and then allow you to program any number of clones, but that would mean equipping yourself with pretty much the same gear the sellers have.
    Gonz,

It's getting a lot harder to "hack" remotes these days. The receivers are often on a serial comms bus and it's near impossible to get a simple contact closure or ( lo/hi) that operates the doors.

I went through this exercise with my ex 2001 Toyota Estima, because I refused on principle to pay the dealer extortion price.

I ended up using an Arduino to generate the pulse train ($35) to unlock/ open the doors and a four channel Rx/Tx to send signals to the Arduino, which duplicated the output of the original Toyota Rx.

It still ended up a fraction of the OEM dealer price but required some unpicking of the Toyota receiver pulse trains, with a storage 'scope.

It's really not a task for people without electronic knowledge.
    Last edited by robmac; 23rd August 2016 at 07:50 PM.

Tadpole

Folks, I bought a 2007 1.9 diesel Renaul Megane Expression DCI ii X84 Phase II .... It is a 3 button fob that looks like this ....

Spare key for a Renault Megane-3-button-fob.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Mr Discounttalk, my advice is to get used to the price and go to your friendly Renault dealer and invest in the correct original equipment key card. That way you avoid any headaches and hassles, get the key that works, and potentially avoid your car being stolen.

For your entertainment I will tell you the tale of my 'quest' to get a replacement key: I squirmed and squealed about the exorbitantly prohibitive and unrealistic cost of a replacement, then visited all sorts of web-sites and locksmiths, many of whom promised cheap miracle replacements but were unable to come up with the goods. For instance Alibaba will sell you a lovely Renault clone key-card for next to nothing, which is nice until you find out that there are no electronics inside!

In the end, the Renault Dealer who blamed the previous owner for losing the card, actually found it. However, by then I had bitten the bullet and bought my own. That means that I had now had three. In the meantime, the lovely people at Renault Australia very generously sent me another new key card on the grounds that the vehicle was a Renault 'Value Used' car and as such is fully backed by Head Office. So, now I have four!

If you can find someone who can re-program one or two of my spare keys to work on your car, I will let you have one or two at the throw away price of, lets see now.....$200 apiece. How is that for an offer you cannot refuse. Whereas it is easy to have the actual metal key that lives inside the key card re-cut at your local shopping centre - Alibaba will sell you the blanks cheaply!)

Thread Information