• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Renault ABS unit replacement?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault ABS unit replacement?

Haine's manual says they are difficult to bleed if you are replacing the unit?

Does anyone know why they are hard to bleed ?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Berridale
    The correct way to bleed them is to use the factory diagnostic tool to pump the fluid through the four circuits to purge the air back to the resevoir. That is standard practice for any car now.

However i have changed one on another brand and filled the ports up with fluid on the bench and taped them so we could juggle the unit in place. Then bled the tubes as we screwed them in. Then a normal bleed. Was pretty good.

In fact I would finish with a couple of emergency stops to activate the ABS which will pump fluid through the unit and back to the resevoir.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jaahn,
    good info.
    Did you have to bleed a second time?
    When you replaced the ABS unit did the dash lights go off and the ABS work?

The diagnostic tool says there is a solenoid failed in the ABS unit, the ABS light is on and the ABS does not work at all.
    Service Light is on and the Stop light, the only fault in the system is indicated as the ABS solenoid so i presume when i replace the unit the situation will return to normal.

We have two of these cars at the moment and it comes as a pleasant surprise at how well thought out these cars are . Many things are outstanding , i did 1,800 klm in just over a day and did not get a sore bum.
    The 2litre is great with the extra power.
    Last edited by Berridale; 18th August 2016 at 11:52 AM.

1000+ Posts

Default Abs

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    Hi Jaahn,
    good info.
    Did you have to bleed a second time?
    When you replaced the ABS unit did the dash lights go off and the ABS work?
    The diagnostic tool says there is a solenoid failed in the ABS unit, the ABS light is on and the ABS does not work at all.
    Service Light is on and the Stop light, the only fault in the system is indicated as the ABS solenoid so i presume when i replace the unit the situation will return to normal.
    We have two of these cars at the moment and it comes as a pleasant surprise at how well thought out these cars are . Many things are outstanding , i did 1,800 klm in just over a day and did not get a sore bum.
    The 2litre is great with the extra power.
    Hi
    It is a bit more complicated to answer. It was a PUG small model mid 2000s.
    The ABS computer does a check on every startup and if it sees a fault of any sort it switches it off and sets the light. Standard practice. It will also do that at any time driving too. So if you replace the ABS and the fault is not there when it checks on start it will put the light out and it will work again.(disconnect battery too)

In our case the ABS light went out but the stop light did not. Second hand ABS from a similar model. My friend would not drive it with a light on, (under instructions). Even after re-bleeding it. I thought the brakes were OK. So he got a diagnostic tool and found the brake level fluid sensor was also faulty. So he replaced that with a second hand one from the same car as the ABS. That fixed that but he then did a bleed with the factory tool while he had it in the yard.

So lesson to be learnt here is there may be two faults together. The car was purchased cheap as it had the dash lights on and we wanted to 'ave a go at fixing it for his kids. His wife would not let it go on the road again until the lights were all fixed !! It did drive and brake normally bringing it home and had been driven for a while like that but unknown time.

The hardest part was the ABS unit was down under the front guard in a difficult position to actually work on. As I remember it he had tried to turn the ABS on with the tool but it turned off again each start. The fault was as I remember, the pressure sensor was faulty. Common problem on some models of ABS. These can be changed on some models in situ some not. But it may not be the only possibility. I was up to speed at the time but I forget now.
    JaahnRenault ABS unit replacement?-2014-06-01-13.01.03_1.jpg
    Last edited by jaahn; 18th August 2016 at 01:03 PM.

1000+ Posts

More pics at reduced size !
    Renault ABS unit replacement?-2014-06-01-13.05.34-600x800-.jpgRenault ABS unit replacement?-2014-06-01-12.55.49-800x600-.jpgRenault ABS unit replacement?-2014-06-01-12.47.52-800x600-.jpgRenault ABS unit replacement?-2014-06-01-12.46.18-800x600-.jpg

Not complicated inside are they
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jaahn,

a really good explanation, thanks.
    Some comfort to know the light will go off when the ABS checks itself on start-up .

The interesting thing is when there is a fault no part of the ABS works.

On dirt roads you do notice the ABS when coming to cattle -grids.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    Hi Jaahn,
    ---
    The interesting thing is when there is a fault no part of the ABS works.
    Hi
    As I said, if any fault is detected in operation or start up, the ABS is switched off. Then the brakes work as standard boosted brakes just as they did in the old days. That is standard practice for all vehicles. The ABS is a very complex unit and has its own computer. Note the shiny "tubes" in the pictures, each one is a valve for a wheel circuit, and there is a pump also to supply braking pressure. The potential for disaster is high if it was unbalanced in its application to the individual brakes. So it defaults to a safe mode.

If you notice them cutting in regularly on dirt roads then might I suggest you slow down a bit
    Jaahn
    Berridale and JohnW like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

We have another Scenic and i noticed it can deal with the final couple of meters before the grid.
    Normally i don't push the car because of the abundance of wildlife and the crazy drivers who think the centre of the dirt road is the place to drive.

Thanks.

1000+ Posts

Hi Berridale
    Here is the writeup from our ABS change and the discussion "on the day"
    ABS/ESP light is on !

I failed to comment on the Scenic generally. Yes they are a nice comfortable car. The other party in the ABS story had one of them also but now has a Megane. Very comfortable. I have not had a Reno for some years now
    Cheers Jaahn
    Berridale likes this.

Thread Information