R8 exterior brightwork/ trim removal for paint
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 exterior brightwork/ trim removal for paint

Hello All,
    I would like to remove the brightwork/ trim strips from the exterior of my R8 to prep for paint. What is the best way to do so, to avoid bending the strip when separating from the clips?

Advertisement

Thanks,
    Ben

The side trims come off with the clips attached. You just carefully lever them off.
    The roof gutter ones are quite difficult and require a lot of patience (if you have them?). You again have to VERY carefully lever them off trying not to kink or bend the trim. Putting them back on is not easy either.

If you have a panel or "boomerang" on the C pillar, then the roof lining needs to be removed or peeled back as they have small clips or nuts (can't recall) which you have to access from inside the car.

The front panel strip and badge are also secured by retainer washers accessed from inside the boot area. Similarly with other badges on the car, eg the back panel and boot lid.

KB
    KB

In addition to what KB said above. Use a thin plastic strip (a cut down overhead projector sheet, or clear celluloid strip from new shirt packaging) inserted under the side strips and pull the strips off the side. Of course if the interior door trims are pulled off, you can help the clips with pliers (sometimes the clips can be rusted). The gutter strip can be eased off using a broad wooden wedge as the lever where it pops over the gutter on the body, but as KB says, be very careful to avoid kinking.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

You may find the side strip clips may have a lump of dried and hard mastic on the inside,
    So you may have to crush and break off the mastic with some pliers, and as Simon suggested,
    squeeze and push them off from the inside.
    ...and lots of patience....WD40...and a couple of beers...

Cheers guys,
    Most of my trim is bent or heavily corroded. I will see what I can save. The car lived quite a neglected life before I awakened it from its slumber. MY big concern was correct removal method. However, it sounds like gently levering them off is the correct way. Thanks again... Ben

Gently levering has worked on several doors for me. If you are feeling affluent, I seem to recall Mecaparts offering them in SS new.

The "C" pieces on my car have spring clips in holes, and just lever off. However, I bought some near new ones which are not pitted, and they have threads and nuts! So either is possible.

Neither had mastic on my car, but it is an early one of course.

Here in Oz, you can buy stiff plastic tool kits for trim removal from the general purpose automotive shops, and they are much better than screwdrivers! Personally, I'd leave the gutter trim in place, but I know this might be frowned on. My car (R1130) doesn't have it and the first owner fitted the "C" pieces when it was near-new.

Good to follow the progress. We've been away for some weeks so I may have missed other queries. All under control?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information