Fuego - Sloppy gear lever
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Papster

Thread: Fuego - Sloppy gear lever

Default Fuego - Sloppy gear lever

Finally revisiting my poor ignored Fuego. It drives well, except that the gear lever is very sloppy. As soon as I looked underneath the car I saw that the bushes in the linkages are the problem -- very loose. Without taking these apart (and possibly destroying them in the process), it looks like they incorporate a ball joint of some kind. I've searched the internet but haven't found any pictures, source of new parts or mention of them.

Does anyone have a suggestions?

Clive

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Probably the small nylon bushes, these should be procurable I know Ken Bailey always kept a good supply, but don't know if the business that took over from him is really interested in these older cars. I always used to keep plenty of spares myself, but haven't looked for years if I still have backups. Once you replace all the bushes in the linkage, you don't have many problems.

Perhaps a member who has sourced them in the last couple of years may be able to point you in the direction of a seller here or overseas that could help, they weren't that expensive but it has been probably 15 years since I purchased my last lot. Dave Cavenagh might still have a supplier. Alpine Affair in Ringwood were working on sourcing older parts or setting up alternative suppliers and European imports E.I.A. might have some still on the shelves.

Regards.

Ken

The horizontal rod that links the gear shift to the box has one end that is serviceable, and a a captive ball joint that is not.

With a bit of creative engineering the captive ball joint can be replaced with a rose joint (heim joint ??) and the other bush is the same as is found on a renault clio so can be bought from col crawfords… Last one I bought was about $14. Good luck with their computer ordering system though. For that reason alone, maybe try the aforementioned supplyers.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 6th August 2016 at 08:36 PM.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Ken Bailey is still in business at Creative Intentions P/L. I've been able to get some Renault stuff from him recently. He might be worth a try on 0400566119.

Cheers, Papster
    Kenfuego likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    Another option for the nylon bush is Renault I purchased one about a month ago $20.

Thread Information