• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By IWS

Thread: Laguna III - malfunctioning brake switch

IWS

Default Laguna III - malfunctioning brake switch

I have intermittent problem, which appears to be with switch behind the brake pedal which made its appearence today - inconveniently in the middle of a trip from Melbourne to Canberra.

First, cruise control dropped out - with no warning. Stopped the car and restarted engine. Engine restarted but could not move the gearshift into Drive.

Operated shift lock override to get the car into Drive. On the road again but with cruise control not operating. Fault light "check brake operation" illuminated. Brakes working OK, but brake lights constantly on.

Stopped car again. Let it sit for a bit. Restarted - had to use shift lock override, then the brake warning light went off, cruise control started operating, and brake lights were working correctly.

Seems likely that the switch behind the brake pedal is at fault. Renault dealer in Canberra advises that there is no switch in the country. Two weeks at least to ship from France. I expect I will have to replace the switch - but in the short term that is not an option. And I need to get back to Melbourne later this week ...

Advertisement

Has anyone had this problem? And solved it? (Other than by replacing the switch ...).

Ian.

COL

Hi Ian

The only short term fix that I can think of is to spray the switch with contact cleaner.

Would probably be better to remove the switch when doing this:

A) to make sure that the contact cleaner actually makes it inside the switch.
    B) some contact cleaners will melt plastics and the last thing you want is more problems.
    C) most contact cleaners smell and its not the smell you want inside your car.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Most times when The cruise control stopped operating in the Laguna II. it was the dash switch that moves between limiter and cruise sometimes works its way out of contact, switch it between modes and presto the cruise works and a simple fix thank goodness, the other thing I had happen once was the left hand signal globe in the rear cluster burnt out and if you indicated a left turn the cruise dropped out immediately, so I guess that the electrical system is sensitive to changes in current draw.

Never had a problem with the brake pedal switch (touch wood) but then again on mine the cruise will occasionally drop out for no reason at all, especially on a flat remote section, haven't had the other symptoms and don't want them...

Hope yours is fixed soon Ian. I take it you have tried thumping the switch lightly to persuade it to behave!!

Good Luck

Ken

A switch on the brake pedal is likely to be the brake light switch and/or the cruise control kill switch.
    When the brakes come on the cruise control is disengaged.
    The fact that your brake lights are on constantly suggests the switch is either intermittently jammed on or has an internal short.
    The switches lead a hard life and replacement is the best option.
    New ones aren't that hard to find through Ebay and other online stores but all will probably have to come from overseas.
    Contact cleaner and some lubrication may do the job or a second hand one from another Lag (if you can find one) may be your best option while you're waiting for one from overseas.
    Renault don't make the switches so it's possible that the same switch is used in another marque.

Cheers
    Ren
    Kenfuego and IWS like this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

IWS

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice here. As I was/am in Canberra with no tools and nowhere to tinker with the car I decided to go to the Renault Dealer (Rolfe Renault).

They fitted me in at short notice and were helpful. Ran the computer on the car and confirmed the fault is with the switch behind the brake pedal. They adjusted it and cleaned all the contacts - but warned that it is likely to fault again so I'll be ordering the part (they gave me the number) when I get back to Melbourne.

Ian.
    nt reno likes this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions and advice here. As I was/am in Canberra with no tools and nowhere to tinker with the car I decided to go to the Renault Dealer (Rolfe Renault).

They fitted me in at short notice and were helpful. Ran the computer on the car and confirmed the fault is with the switch behind the brake pedal. They adjusted it and cleaned all the contacts - but warned that it is likely to fault again so I'll be ordering the part (they gave me the number) when I get back to Melbourne.

Ian.
    So you will be able to make it home safely which is good, their repair may even last for awhile after you get home. I have repaired switches like that and they have lasted years.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yeah I had problem with my brake lights constantly on in my Laguna II, switch behind brake pedal at fault.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Pays to investigate yourself and devise a simple rememdy.

Worth looking into the construction of the switch and how rugged it is. My rear hatch opening switch "failed" quite a few years back on the Laguna ll V6. I found its location and it was simply the plastic casing warping slightly and the plastic gears not meshing properly, if I recall rightly I simply jury rigged a piece of wood (matchstick!!) so that it provided meshing pressure on the case and that temporary fix is still working to this day, so simple, so enduring.

I wonder how many have been replaced with new expensive mechanisms that will eventually warp and cause the same problem. Pays to have at least a courtesy look at the problem and see if it can be fixed simply and inexpensively.

Ken

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Worth looking into the construction of the switch and how rugged it is. My rear hatch opening switch "failed" quite a few years back on the Laguna ll V6. I found its location and it was simply the plastic casing warping slightly and the plastic gears not meshing properly, if I recall rightly I simply jury rigged a piece of wood (matchstick!!) so that it provided meshing pressure on the case and that temporary fix is still working to this day, so simple, so enduring.

I wonder how many have been replaced with new expensive mechanisms that will eventually warp and cause the same problem. Pays to have at least a courtesy look at the problem and see if it can be fixed simply and inexpensively.

Ken
    I agree with this strategy. Am going to look at the existing switch to see what might be done with it - rather than just replacing without further thought.

Ian.

Best electrical "bodgy" fix I found so far on Laguna II was with climate control box. A/C suddenly stayed on full cold no matter what setting. Found fix on internet of course as encyclopedic amount of info out there on Lag II (which is er a good thing right?). Open up centre console and remove control box, then wiggle the wires a bit and insert and remove plugs few times, hey presto! all fixed. Done this couple times now. Apparently if you take to dealer or auto sparkie they just replace the box.

Thread Information