Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Breitie
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 4 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 2 Post By DrRenaultsport

Thread: New Koleos Test Drive

Fellow Frogger!

Default New Koleos Test Drive

I am the lucky recipient of a VIP (no less!) invitation to test drive the new Koleos by one of our local Renault dealerships in Brisbane and was told that they were offloading the long awaited new arrivals 'as we speak'. I am looking forward to being impressed by this new offering and will report back on what I find in due course.

Advertisement
    Kim Luck likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Update on the new Koleos:
    Apparently previous models variously named Expression, Dynamique and Privileg,
    are now 'LIFE, 'ZEN' and 'INTENS'. Go figure!
    Last edited by Breitie; 30th July 2016 at 07:27 AM.

Seems to be the way with model names to. I guess we'll just have to get used to names like Kadjar, Captur, Qashqai (in Nissan's case) etc
    KB

Bring back the Cedric, Sylvia....
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Fellow Frogger!

Had a close look at the new Koleos and find, as expected, that it is a clone of the X-Trail. Same same. Same shape, same size, same dash, same screen, same steering wheel, same hood etc. The only thing different is the appearance of the grill. Might as well buy the X-Trail then for the better re-sale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Had a close look at the new Koleos and find, as expected, that it is a clone of the X-Trail. Same same. Same shape, same size, same dash, same screen, same steering wheel, same hood etc. The only thing different is the appearance of the grill. Might as well buy the X-Trail then for the better re-sale value.
    Your enthusiasm for the product is only exceeded by the magnitude of your myopia!

Unless the images appearing on the Nissan website are incorrect, there is absolutely no similarity between their dashes, steering wheels, consoles, taillights, grille, rear quarter window and many other bits. In the same way that the Mk1 and 2 Koleos were based on the same floor-pan as the earlier X-Trail, that is where the similarity ends.
    DrRenaultsport likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    No offence, but have you had your eyes checked recently?

Same size (well, they are based on the same platform and compete in the same segment, so that's a given...)

Same shape (well, it's an SUV wagon, apart from that, I doubt anyone would think they look the same)

Same dash (NO) same screen (NO) same steering wheel (NO) same hood (NO) etc.

It's no more similar than the previous Koleos was to it's X-Trail relative. The only difference is that Nissan has made the X-trail less Boxy and more mainstream...

I would've said the Koleos has hints of Mazda CX-7/CX-9 in it's gently kinked glass house waist line, which - considering that Renault design is now headed by an ex Mazda designer - is probably no coincidence...

Last edited by mistareno; 15th August 2016 at 06:16 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

they even put the steering wheel on the other side to make it different!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

To be fair, both have vents at each side of the dash. But then again, so did my 1969 Cortina...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I got one of these invites too.

I replied "Yet another bloated pointless kiddie crusher. Yay...."

I haven't heard back

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I got one of these invites too.

I replied "Yet another bloated pointless kiddie crusher. Yay...."

I haven't heard back
    I find that hard to believe...I thought you loved SUV's?

He does.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I'm just surprised they sent me the invite. Considering all the hassles I've had with that dealer, I'd have thought their systems were at least bright enough to leave me the **** alone!!

Fellow Frogger!

Ha ha ha ha! Got you going at last, did't I! Anyway, thanks for your feedback and opinions. My observations come from my leisurely and lengthy inspection of both the Koleos and the X-Trail, side by side at a local Nissan/Renault dealer. Sure, if you consider the odd sheet metal nip and tuck 'different', then so be it. By the way, the photos above show the Koleos dash with a 'portrait' format screen - that is not the case on the version I inspected as it has the same small screen as the X-Trail in the lower photo.

To add fuel to this fire, I venture to add that the New Koleos is the same as the X-Trail is the same as the Hyundai is the same as the Kia is the same as the Honda is the same as the Subaru is the same as the Toyota is the same as the Mazda is the same as the.........! It seem that the very essence that made the Renault 'different' and stand out from the rest of the 'me toos', has been washed out of the design, probably by marketing considerations that demand that: "if you can't beat them, then join them!"

I went to the launch here in Sydney and I was very pleased with the car, we have a 2013 Bose ed, and it's chalk an cheese. Nothing like the X trail at all ( the launch was at a Nissian/Renault dealer so I could see both side by side ) the inside is nothing like the Nissan .

The car drove very well, quite as, well made, perfect gap lines, door closed with a decent clunk, very happy with it. As for the drive ... It was peak hour traffic near the airport so didn't go far, but ride an road holding much much better than ours. Heaps more leg room in the back.

All in all, great car an looked classy.

We're getting a Intens ��
    Kim Luck and 68 404 like this.
    Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

Interestingly, whilst the X-Trail is available in diesel and petrol, it is only their diesel version that is rated to tow two tonnes (braked), all 2.5l petrol Koleos are rated two tonnes, according to the spec sheets......

Fellow Frogger!

Typically x-trails have small brake rotors.
    I stand to be corrected, but this may have something to do with the rating.
    Have not done any research on this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport View Post
    I went to the launch here in Sydney and I was very pleased with the car, we have a 2013 Bose ed, and it's chalk an cheese. Nothing like the X trail at all ( the launch was at a Nissian/Renault dealer so I could see both side by side ) the inside is nothing like the Nissan .

The car drove very well, quite as, well made, perfect gap lines, door closed with a decent clunk, very happy with it. As for the drive ... It was peak hour traffic near the airport so didn't go far, but ride an road holding much much better than ours. Heaps more leg room in the back.

All in all, great car an looked classy.

We're getting a Intens ��
    DrRenaultSport, thank you for your very useful and interesting first hand evaluation. I am glad that you liked the new Koleos and I am sure that I would like it too. Not for a second did I suggest anywhere that it is not an excellent SUV. Did you test drive the X-Trail also in order to make a direct comparison? How were the doors and gap lines on the X-Trail in comparison?

I am being deliberately pedantic here, and still maintain that with the exception of some 'cosmetic' differences, the Koleos and the X-Trail are very similar in most respects and I would find it difficult to choose between the two. By the way, how much is the INTENS 'on the road'?

Thread Information