More Fuego questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default More Fuego questions

Hi, I'm slowly working through a few things to bring my '85 Fuego up to scratch and am in need of some advice. First issue is a flickering of the lights when on park or low beam, but not on high beam, and only when the engine is running. Dash lights and interior lights flicker as well.
    Second question is what to replace the rear shocks with. The fronts have been done with ones from Caravelle a couple of years ago and they're fairly ordinary. Is it better to recondition the originals? Is that possible?
    Cheers, Papster

Advertisement

The flickering may be alternator voltage regulator instability, but on high beam the alternator simply doesn't have the output at idle to "hunt". Does the flickering go away if you rev the engine?

There may be new old stock Konis left in the world for the Fuego. The rear shocks are fairly simple and you may be able to find shocks from another car fits them for length and design. The rears have pins at both ends. In Monroe the front part No is 26515, the rear 23294. The rear has an extended length of 591mm and compressed length of 401mm. The R18 rear is 624mm and 390mm but may well be softer than the one used in a Fuego. The long extended length might make it hard to find an equivalent shock.

Fronts in Australia. Monroe Original GAS Shock Absorber 26515 | eBay

Or Sachs http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-SACHS...oAAOSwqu9VLpS6

Boge rears from US, Postage is a bit nasty
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Renault-F...MAAOSweWVXeTHv

So they are out there. Quite a few shocks in the UK as well. My guess is there are more spare shocks than there are Fuegos in the UK.
    Last edited by alan moore; 26th July 2016 at 08:40 PM.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

COL

As far as your electrical problem with flickering lights goes I would say you have an earth problem or the earth from the engine block to the body is missing, loose or dirty
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thanks Alan for the info, and no the flickering just flickers faster as the engine revs, but I didn't rev it too high as my wife is asleep in front of the TV, and didn't want to get into trouble .
    Thanks also Col, I've got time tomorrow, so I'll have a good look at the earth. I'd love to think that's all it is.

COL

I had a R12 wagon many years ago that when you change gears the head lights went out, after a little investigation found the earth path from the block to the body was through the clutch cable. I cure the problem by fitting and earth strap from the block to the body.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

My Fugeo had the same flickering and it was an earth somewhere near the left hand headlight. Believe it or not. Just to be sure remove and clean that one.

Fellow Frogger!

The flickering alt light is a common problem with Fuegos.
    Now it's a long time since I last touched a Fuego,
    but this is the most likely issue.
    The slip rings in the alternator aren't very thick and mounted on plastic.
    As the slip rings wear, the brushes end up losing full width contact
    with the slip rings, bearing onto the plastic and only contacting
    the slip rings each side of the brush.
    This being a substantially reduced contact patch causes the flickering
    and reduces the current capacity of the alternator.
    Skilled auto electricians can replace the slip rings.

Could also be a faulty voltage regulator/brush holder.

Eliminating the possibility of a poor earth as previously mentioned
    is far easier than attacking the alternator.
    Last edited by Steve K; 27th July 2016 at 06:07 PM.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    The flickering alt light is a common problem with Fuegos.
    Now it's a long time since I last touched a Fuego,
    but this is the most likely issue.
    The slip rings in the alternator aren't very thick and mounted on plastic.
    As the slip rings wear, the brushes end up losing full width contact
    with the slip rings, bearing onto the plastic and only contacting
    the slip rings each side of the brush.
    This being a substantially reduced contact patch causes the flickering
    and reduces the current capacity of the alternator.
    Skilled auto electricians can replace the slip rings.

Could also be a faulty voltage regulator/brush holder.

Eliminating the possibility of a poor earth as previously mentioned
    is far easier than attacking the alternator.
    A easy way to check the if its a fluctuating voltage coming from the alternator is to use a multi meter and measure the voltage across the battery with the engine going and the head lights on. The voltage should be around 14 volts and should be steady.

It may read a little under 14 volts at idle but if you lift the revs up to 2000 RPM the voltage should come up to 14 volts and be steady.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    A easy way to check the if its a fluctuating voltage coming from the alternator is to use a multi meter and measure the voltage across the battery with the engine going and the head lights on. The voltage should be around 14 volts and should be steady.

It may read a little under 14 volts at idle but if you lift the revs up to 2000 RPM the voltage should come up to 14 volts and be steady.
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll do that voltage check at the weekend Col, when I get some more spare time.

I cleaned up a number of connections today and everything was in place including earths. A few were fairly dirty and some a bit loose. Started it tonight, and the flicker seemed to have reduced a bit, but still there at idle. It was much harder to detect with a few revs on board. I'll keep going with all the exposed connections I can find for future insurance, but will know more I guess when I check the alternator.

Thanks again, much appreciated,
    Papster

I have some new front shockers for a Fuego available , not sure of brand without looking but remember them being gas filled , so could be DeCarbon . Call me on 0352218915 BH if interested . May be wrecking one of my two so let me know if you want the rears out of that .

Quote Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
    I have some new front shockers for a Fuego available , not sure of brand without looking but remember them being gas filled , so could be DeCarbon . Call me on 0352218915 BH if interested . May be wrecking one of my two so let me know if you want the rears out of that .
    Thanks to Toolman my shock absorber issues appear to be rectified. Pleased about that.

Had some time today to check the voltage for the flickering, and at 2000 rpm it was steady at 14.3, then with lights on high beam it was steady at 14.1 so I guess the alternator is good. When I started the car, the battery was very sluggish, so after checking the voltage I took it to the place where I buy all my batteries, and the cranking amps measurement was about half what it should be. Checked the date on it and out of warranty 2 days ago, but he gave me a new one anyway - happy days! I'll continue to run through electrical connections, clean, vaseline and tighten and see how I go. New battery is not in it yet, but I don't suppose that will make any difference to the flickering.
    Cheers, Papster

Thread Information