De-slime megane 2 interior
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: De-slime megane 2 interior

Default De-slime megane 2 interior

For some reason many parts of the megane2 interior are plastic with a rubbery coating.
    Plastic is good, coating is turning to slime and a rather nasty messy slime it is.

Would be the natural enemy of a white shirt (worse than bolognaise) should I get the two in contact.

In an attempt to cut it off and reveal the virginal black plastic underneath I went online and saw some Utube clips where they use bug and tar remover……Fail….Did nothing.

Then tried WD40…..fail, again no dissolving of slime.

Then household detergent….Fail.

Then Jiff on a microfibre rag……BINGO!!!!!

It took a fair bit of elbow grease and at times some hard scrubbing with a nail brush, but now have spectacularly non slimy door handles !!!!!
    One of the bits was clear plastic so was hit with some satin black paint after all the black came off.
    In time I'll get to the rest of the slimed interior.

Advertisement

Jo

Ps removed parts and cleaned them in the sink.
    Last edited by jo proffi; 21st July 2016 at 03:04 PM.
    Trading Estate likes this.

I had good results with turps, and a good clean afterwards with dishwashing detergent. Turps softened the coating nicely and it came off pretty easily without harsh scrubbing, just rubbed it off.

I stripped the door handles very early on...

1000+ Posts

Are we talking about low-gloss coated soft-to-touch plastics that the journalists think are "quality"? Look up "haptic". The coatings can and do degrade.

That was the next product on the list but didn't look further once I found the jiff worked.

I suppose one good thing about the jiff is you don't have to deal with stinky turps, and all the by product washes down the kitchen sink.
    My hands suffer badly with turps also.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Are we talking about low-gloss coated soft-to-touch plastics that the journalists think are "quality"?
    Yep….Quality alright………Shithouse quality!!!!

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    For some reason many parts of the megane2 interior are plastic with a rubbery coating.
    Plastic is good, coating is turning to slime and a rather nasty messy slime it is.

Would be the natural enemy of a white shirt (worse than bolognaise) should I get the two in contact.

In an attempt to cut it off and reveal the virginal black plastic underneath I went online and saw some Utube clips where they use bug and tar remover……Fail….Did nothing.

Then tried WD40…..fail, again no dissolving of slime.

Then household detergent….Fail.

Then Jiff on a microfibre rag……BINGO!!!!!

It took a fair bit of elbow grease and at times some hard scrubbing with a nail brush, but now have spectacularly non slimy door handles !!!!!
    One of the bits was clear plastic so was hit with some satin black paint after all the black came off.
    In time I'll get to the rest of the slimed interior.

Jo

Ps removed parts and cleaned them in the sink.
    I've had good success with removing solvent resistant coatings with Sceney's Citrus Solvent. Most artists (as in painting) suppliers will have it.

Takes off tar spots as well as sound deadening goo.

Jiff is abrasive, Jo. This may be a bonus if you're to paint afterwards, but if you want to clean something shiny or glossy, I would think it might affect the gloss (thinking glossy "natural" plastic).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

It's a really fine abrasive 'tho.

And Jif has never marked anything I've used it on from ceramics, to s/s sinks, to bench laminates and even computer plastics (to remove label reside) too.

FWIW Jif, polishes the tannin and coffee stains off drinking cups very well.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Jiff is abrasive, Jo. This may be a bonus if you're to paint afterwards, but if you want to clean something shiny or glossy, I would think it might affect the gloss (thinking glossy "natural" plastic).
    Rob is correct, the abrasive is much finer than the grain on the plastic and it does not show any harmful effects.

Jo

Eucalyptus oil has worked on other cars to remove the deteriorated sticky coating.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Orange oil cleaner was reasonable too, but still slow going. I used washing up gloves with the turps, they lasted long enough to do the job before they too melted

I did the door handles on the Meg when it was only 15,000kms old - that "soft touch" nonsense lasts about 10 minutes. Good enough to get them out of the showroom I guess...

Drivers door window switch housing needs to be done next.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    It's a really fine abrasive 'tho.

And Jif has never marked anything I've used it on from ceramics, to s/s sinks, to bench laminates and even computer plastics (to remove label reside) too.

FWIW Jif, polishes the tannin and coffee stains off drinking cups very well.
    Like any other abrasive, Jiff works by being harder than whatever it is it is supposed to clean. It is not supposed to "clean" ceramics' enamel (which is quite hard, usually Al2O3, one of the hardest things we know), hence I am not surprised. It is however harder than coffee stains as you have noticed.

Jo, I think you are right too. I wouldn't insist with it too much though or you will get to the point where you're going to see the effect.

Anyhoo. I would have gone for turps and get high in the process as well.

Jokes aside, turps makes short work of stuff like that and you don't need to use a quantity that would affect you. An "oily" rag will do it. It may affect some plastics more than Jiff though.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 23rd July 2016 at 11:32 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Hit the centre console today…
    Different slime then the door handles are made of, and not particularly fussed by anything I threw at it turps, jiff, metho….
    The only thing that seriously rocked it was gasket remover, but that attacked the plastic too.
    the door handles were black slime, the centre console is clear slime

Discovered there is a slime (rubber??) layer, then metallic silver paint then black plastic substrate.

Got rather shitty very quickly and discovered the slime is moderately water sensitive so can easily be seen when wet, and can't handle a very light brush over with a stainless steel scourer, whereas the silver paint underneath it is tough enough to handle moderate abrasion with the scourer.

Once the slime layer was taken off, I hit it with 180 then 240 grit paper and spray painted with satin black enamel.

Looks fairly good now, and not touch sensitive.

Jo

Used

Thread Information