R8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: R8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    634

    Default R8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating

    Hi Everyone

    Advertisement


    I am looking at using some late model front and rear bumpers and overriders that I have to fit on my R8 project.

    Has anyone recently had some chrome work done on their bumpers and if so can they give me an indication of quality, cost and where they had it done?

    Cheers
    Angelo

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Blackburn Victoria
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Hi Angelo,
    I will need to have my 8G bumpers rechromed as well.
    Heard stories of original chrome being stripped off (as is necessary )
    but a thinner amount being replated. I.E. the plater keeps some of your chrome...
    So.. who is going to be the first victim/test mule?
    Not many platers left. Think there is a Vince somewhere in the Dandenong area.
    Will try to hunt him down.
    Cheers, Steve.

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! Paul T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst, NSW.
    Posts
    266

    Default

    I had my front and rear bumpers repaired and re chromed at Albury Electroplaters for a cost of $1,353.00. They had to dis-assemble the rear bumper to chrome it properly so it came back in 3 pieces. Very happy with the job they did however be aware that they do have a 6-8 week turn around as do most others.

    Some before and after photos.
    R8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating-dsc_2383.jpgR8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating-dsc_2385.jpgR8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating-dsc_2388.jpgR8 Bumpers - Chrome Plating-dsc_2391.jpg

    Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Hi Angelo,
    I will need to have my 8G bumpers rechromed as well.
    Heard stories of original chrome being stripped off (as is necessary )
    but a thinner amount being replated. I.E. the plater keeps some of your chrome...
    So.. who is going to be the first victim/test mule?
    Not many platers left. Think there is a Vince somewhere in the Dandenong area.
    Will try to hunt him down.
    Cheers, Steve.
    hi Steve
    Yes Vinnies (Dandenong) and Modern platers (Oakleigh) are the names that keep coming up, so wonder if any one here has used them?
    Essentially I think it will be one of them.
    Angelo

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I had my front and rear bumpers repaired and re chromed at Albury Electroplaters for a cost of $1,353.00. They had to dis-assemble the rear bumper to chrome it properly so it came back in 3 pieces. Very happy with the job they did however be aware that they do have a 6-8 week turn around as do most others.

    Some before and after photos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2383.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	86607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2385.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	86608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2388.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	86609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2391.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	86610
    Hi Paul
    i suspected that was the cost range, so looks like I will have to bite the bullet, but although it will hurt, when I look at your job, I know it will be worth it.
    my bumpers look like the before pics, so if they come up as good as yours, I won't complain.
    and yes I noted the rear is spot welded together, so won't be surprised if they say the same to me.
    cheers
    Angelo

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montmorency
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Hi Angelo
    There is a good Chrome plater in Dandenong Corner Benett st and Short st .the cost is high but the quality is first grade, if you are interested I will get the company name from my mate who recently had thebumpers from the Beechy S 4 Holden done.
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Hi Everyone

    I am looking at using some late model front and rear bumpers and overriders that I have to fit on my R8 project.

    Has anyone recently had some chrome work done on their bumpers and if so can they give me an indication of quality, cost and where they had it done?

    Cheers
    Angelo

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sealey View Post
    Hi Angelo
    There is a good Chrome plater in Dandenong Corner Benett st and Short st .the cost is high but the quality is first grade, if you are interested I will get the company name from my mate who recently had thebumpers from the Beechy S 4 Holden done.
    Rob
    Yes Rob, that's Vinney's on the corner.
    looks like a visit is in order.
    thanks
    Angelo

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    634

    Default

    After a bit of research it came down to a couple of local places, but I ended up settling on Modern Plating in Oakleigh, Vic. They have been around a while and seem to have done a lot of old school stuff (Chev's, Ford's early Holdens etc) so I thought I would give them a go.
    They quoted me $1100 (cash) and I though that was reasonable and in the ball park.
    Turn around time was 2 weeks and picked them up last Saturday.
    After closely examining them I was quite impressed with their work, even though he said there was a fair bit of corrosion, especially at the back. The cost included all repairing of dents, scratched and surface rust.
    I have a few "before" photo's but they fairly much looked like Paul's above when I dropped them off.
    I am quite happy with the result, and service was very friendly and easy to deal with.
    Here are a few pics for every to see.

    With regard to the rubber inserts, I was planning to wet-dry rub starting with 320-800-1200 sand paper.
    Any better thoughts on how to bring these back to life?

    Also is it better to assemble with brackets and then onto body, or best to fit brackets on body and assemble bumpers in pieces?

    Angelo

    Attachment 87614Attachment 87615Attachment 87616Attachment 87617Attachment 87618Attachment 87619Attachment 87620

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,366

    Default

    You guys need to try Sydney prices - stop your bitchin. I paid 900 & 1100 each! In Sydney going back to 2002 and 2006
    I've heard Albury is good for both quality and price, as Paul suggests. 59Floride uses a place on the Gold Coast which he raves about too.
    KB
    KB


  10. #10
    1000+ Posts Shoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    With the rubber, wet and dry sanding does the job really well. With a bucket of warm water and dish washing liquid for lube. I even used the orbital sander. Maybe a bit of thinners too.
    I recently sanded all the front rubber nosing on my R17 front bumper. But polish next with a clean rag to bring some shine. Any splits can be glued with superglue but use a good one. Leave overnight to dry. Careful not to drip it or let it run everywhere and or it takes a bit of elbow grease to sand it later. I sealed and filled small splits on the top rubber. You wouldn't know they were there now. These splits were caused by the fixing 8mm studs built it.
    The bumpers look great.
    John
    ďListen very carefully, I shall say this only once.Ē Cheers. John

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    You guys need to try Sydney prices - stop your bitchin. I paid 900 & 1100 each! In Sydney going back to 2002 and 2006
    I've heard Albury is good for both quality and price, as Paul suggests. 59Floride uses a place on the Gold Coast which he raves about too.
    KB
    Good grief. I'd better get my spare set stored much more carefully!
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    With the rubber, wet and dry sanding does the job really well. With a bucket of warm water and dish washing liquid for lube. I even used the orbital sander. Maybe a bit of thinners too.
    I recently sanded all the front rubber nosing on my R17 front bumper. But polish next with a clean rag to bring some shine. Any splits can be glued with superglue but use a good one. Leave overnight to dry. Careful not to drip it or let it run everywhere and or it takes a bit of elbow grease to sand it later. I sealed and filled small splits on the top rubber. You wouldn't know they were there now. These splits were caused by the fixing 8mm studs built it.
    The bumpers look great.
    John
    I'd really like to see the outcome of that work. This year's French Car Day is 22 October and we are always short of R17 examples......

    Cheers
    Shoji likes this.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •