Solex 32eisa
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Solex 32eisa

Default Solex 32eisa

Guys,

The Solex 32EISA carb on my 12 is badly in need of tuning. The identification tag that's usually under one of the cover screws has broken off so I don't know the carb version.
    The fuel consumption is crap (worse than my 2litre auto Scenic and 3litre auto Mitsubishi) so would appear to be too rich, and the idle is way too low (less than 500RPM) and erratic. (Plugs are fouling too).

Advertisement

I've got about 5 or 6 different workshop manuals by different publishers but they all appear to have cut and pasted the adjustment procedure from the one source. The all say, almost verbatim, adjust screw A for maximum revs and the adjust screw B to reduce the revs to around 750RPM. One being the mixture screw and the other being the air bleed screw. What they don't say is where the starting point for the adjustment is, i.e. (does one screw the adjuster in fully and back off for, say, 2 turns, 3 turns etc.) and in which directing does one need to turn the screw to increase or decrease the adjustment. I presume clockwise will reduce the flow and anticlockwise will increase the flow. Should I close off both screws and take them out one turn and hope the motor runs and start from there or should I start 2 turns out, 3 turns? No having an idle speed adjust screw doesn't help either.

Couldn't find anything trawling through the forum.
    Google didn't turn up much. A few publications that didn't cover tuning that particular carb and a few Youtube videos of some foreign gents fiddling with a carb but no commentary (in English anyway).

I'm hoping to avoid taking the car to a someone like French Car Care as it means taking a day off work.

All my other 12's had the 32DIR Webber carbs and they were a doddle to adjust.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Has the fuel economy always been poor? Might be something as simple as the float level too high through a leaking needle valve.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

As Alan says, it sounds like more than it requiring an idle mixture adjustment. Perhaps there is wear and tear, the needle and seat can be prone to wear on older Solex, also dirt in the carby, worn or incorrect plugs. The Solex is usually simple to adjust, but if someone has gone berserk with the throttle stop screws (thinking they will just tickle the idle up) to compensate for worn components it may be worth a trip to take it to someone who can diagnose the issue.

Instructions from the handbook in relation to the idle mixture are attached, they seem fairly self explanatory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solex 32eisa-dsc08164.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks for your replies.

I've only had the car for about 8 months and it's only been on the road for 3 of those months so don't have much history. Someone may have dismantled the carb in the past and upset the float and/or the needle/seat but I don't know. Given the car is 44 years old I'd be surprised if they hadn't been some work on the carb.
    What I do know is that in the time it's been registered I've done about 400 miles and am averaging about 18-19 MPG.
    I'd expect fuel consumption to be in the high 20's or low 30's, even in city driving. I took it for a little run down the Ipswich motorway in the hope of blowing away some of the cobwebs but it didn't seem to change anything.

I've replaced the plugs so they're okay and it could be wear and tear but before pulling the carb apart I thought I'd try the adjustments first. Start easy and work to the harder options last. Fortunately, the screws that the manual says must not be touched have not been touched. So I'll try adjustments first and if no joy on that front then I'll lift the top and check the needle/seat, float, dirt, etc. I have a brand new top so might fit that anyway.

I will be ditching the Solex carb in favour of a Webber in the future anyway so won't be spending too much time and money on the Solex but I want something that's drivable in the meantime.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Have you looked at the ignition timing? It may be very retarded causing poor economy. Also when looking at the timing with the strobe light, does it move around when idling, or is it steady? If it moves around it is likely that the distributor has wear in the bushes and is altering the point gap and dwell, also affecting economy. Is the vacuum advance connected?

It is more likely, given the very poor economy, that the carb still has a fair part to play, but it is also worth looking at the ignition. I can remember getting 50 mpg on a run out of a Solex carbed R12 many moons ago, and found that although the twin choke downdraft Weber made more power it never did reach the same economy as the Solex.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Thanks for the tips.
    I don't own a strobe light any more, (brother in law broke the thing and didn't tell me), but static timing looks about right and vacuum advance is connected. One thing that's always annoyed me about the 12's is that Renault saw fit to put the timing marks on the flywheel housing on the side opposite to the distributor. So it's either a 2 man job, or you need a mirror, or have to have arms like an orang-utan. The timing might be a bit out but it's pretty close and wouldn't cause that much extra fuel usage. I'll lash out and buy a strobe once the carb is sorted. There could be wear but even though the car is 44 years old it's supposed to be low mileage so there shouldn't be too much wear. I know you can't tell because the odometer only goes up to 99999 miles but I believe the PO (he is a Aussiefrogger and they wouldn't lie would they?). But I won't touch the ignition (if necessary) until the carb is sorted because there is definitely something amiss there.

I know the Weber won't give the same economy as the Solex (once it's sorted) but a few extra chevaux wouldn't hurt.
    You don't get something for nothing so higher fuel consumption is the price. But even with a Weber I would expect 30+ MPG around town. I won't be driving vast distances in this thing so fuel economy is not really too much of an issue.

Cheers
    Ren

Thread Information