Mecaparts door weather seal
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mecaparts door weather seal

Just fitted a Mecaparts front door outer weather seal and appear to have a problem.

when I wind the window down the rubber seal rolls in on itself (see photo)

i notice that unlike 'traditional' outer seals (which have some felt) these ones are all rubber and stick to the glass when wound down.

is this just a temporary problem until the rubber beds itself in, or will it be a permanent and unsatisfactory problem?

Advertisement

is there any way to fix it?

They are all like that and were when new. After a while the rubber stiffens up a bit and it stops. Perhaps a wee spray with silicon on the window glass and wind up and down a few times?

I've had the same issue and it went away after a while.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Angelo,
    I had this problem with the Gordini. So went to Rare Spares and found one that was very similar shape to original Renault one and fitted it and they worked very well. A bit of work to align but it went in. Unfortunately do not have the number of the section, and unfortunately the short piece left over went in the bin. I also found a difference between doors, and mount positions holes. So a bit of work needed.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

I had the same problem many years ago, and ended up converting HQ-HZ ones from Rare Spares as detailed in this thread from many years ago. They are still working now.

Message #2

Wanted: Renault 10 Rear View Mirror
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    They are all like that and were when new. After a while the rubber stiffens up a bit and it stops. Perhaps a wee spray with silicon on the window glass and wind up and down a few times?I've had the same issue and it went away after a while.CheersJohn
    Phew! I really was not looking forward to taking into it out again as fitting glass and seal was a real tough job. I have some silicon spray and will persist with it until it beds in. I read Simon's description on fitting the seal which was brilliant, and wished I had read it before I had started to get some hints ( and what to avoid!)Ray, I looked at alternatives like the Rare Spares ones, but conservatively stuck with what I thought was tried and proven, ie the Mecaparts seal, but was surprised that they behaved as described. Thanks everyone for the advice, as always this forum is an invaluable resource for French car enthusiasts.Angelo

Thread Information