R8, 4 point roll bar/cage specs
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8, 4 point roll bar/cage specs

Hello All,
    I am looking to have a 4 point roll bar fabricated for the upcoming touring events here in California. Does anyone have specs available? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ben

Advertisement

Does it need to comply with FIA. If so you can use 40 X 2 tube instead of the more common and heaven 38 X 2.5mm tube . It is a nice little weight saving in a car that does not need a weight penalty .
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Ben,

Graeme's R8 Gordini Rebuild !!! Post #24

Regulations | Federation Internationale de l'Automobile Go to latest documents, Appendix J, Article 283, Safety Equipment.

If you build or have built to those, you are covered by any Racing Authority.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Default R8, 4 point roll bar/cage specs

Hello guys.... It is actually just for piece of mind. I will be doing the tours with my wife, and I just want that added level of protection. Cheers! Ben

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Ben,

Graeme's R8 Gordini Rebuild !!! Post #24

Regulations | Federation Internationale de l'Automobile Go to latest documents, Appendix J, Article 283, Safety Equipment.

If you build or have built to those, you are covered by any Racing Authority.

Ray

Whilst I don't doubt the voracity of Ray's information, I would suggest you consult your local governing body(ies) before you launch in and start building.

Here in Australia, that would be CAMS (Confederation of Motorsport) for the motorsport side, and the state based licensing authority for road registration (RMS here in NSW for example). You would be looking for the equivalent of those in California. FIA is an international governing body but I'd hate you to fall foul of local regs for whatever reason once its' built and installed.
    KB

I've made this point regarding other matters before, but I'd also check very carefully regarding insurance and licensing requirements. Just because the roll cage would strengthen the car's shell doesn't necessarily mean the insurance company would see it that way. What if you or your wife suffered a head injury against part of the cage, to give an example that comes to mind. The insurance might see it as a modification that they wouldn't agree with. If your insurance isn't solid, imagine the legal and financial consequences regarding action against you by third parties injured in an accident, however innocent you are with respect to the cause.

I don't know whether this is relevant in California but I reckon it is worth a bit of local research. KB's point is possibly directly relevant in this area too.

Good to hear the car continues in its evolution!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Although nothing to do with roll cage's but raising similar legal implications in an accident situation.What is the situation with fitting a 4 point harness?My R8 had a Hemco harness years ago and I do like the idea of fitting a new 4 pointer,but how legal is it actually, given that the attachment points are not original as per the manufacturer.I know everyone does it and it has to be a safer option except for the obvious (potentially lethal) obstructions for the rear seat passengers!

Good idea to check insurance restrictions. I will look into the implications. My car has no back seat and will only house the roll cage and eventually a spare tire. So, the only passenger will be in the front seat.... The rallies (tours) that I will go on are not part of any sanctioning body, as they are not competitive. You can google California Melee, Faultline 500 or Snowball rally for an idea of the events... Cheers! Ben

Thread Information