Scenic Tailgate Lock
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN

Thread: Scenic Tailgate Lock

Default Scenic Tailgate Lock

The tailgate lock on my Scenic decided not to work today.
    The button won't push in so I'm assuming the lock solenoid has decided not to work.
    The central locking on the other doors and fuel cover work fine and the tailgate glass will still open, just the tailgate won't unlock.
    It was too dark to see check anything at the time so this will have to wait for the weekend when I can do some checking during daylight.

There's not a fuse just for the tailgate solenoid so one will have to delve into the internals of the hatch.
    Can one remove the tailgate trim while the hatch is in the closed position and, is there a way to open the tailgate from inside the car? I couldn't see anything to the Haynes or owners manual and there isn't a keyhole (that I could see) on the tailgate.

Cheers
    Ren

Advertisement
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Bit of a pain in the rear if you cannot access it while closed. Had a HD Holden wagon with an electric rear glass in the tail gate and it would jump out of the track and jamb. Couldn't get at the inside with the door closed. Real pain in the rear end (no pun intended) to fix so all I can do is sympathize from once having had a similar problem.

Don’t know if it is the same as the Clio 2, which has a release tab located on the latch on the tailgate (as opposed to the catch on the frame). The release tab sits flush, with the door being released by popping the tab up with a flat bladed screwdriver from the interior of the car. No dismantling needed in the case of the Clio.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hey Ren Tin Tin.
    The inner cover of the door for the RX4 has to be done with the door open. I am not sure about the 2wd if that is what you have.
    Both locks on mine are the same.
    Mine had an issue with failing to lock at one stage, a very firm whack in the area of the lock used to snap it into action. I got sick of that after a while. Changed the lower lock to the top window position, then it was an easy tap with a screw driver.
    Replaced it when I changed the door on the Scenic after a ding as it came with locks of course. I do have a couple of spare ones buried in a carton somewhere.

I'd definitely try a sharp whack in the area of the lock if you are able.

The lock consists of one of those tiny little electric motors similar to what was in our electric toys as kids. Nothing fancy so would be an easy fix if you could be bothered I guess.
    Just a shame that there is no real way to be able to manually operate the locks
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thanks guys.

Well, do you know what happened.
    After going through dozens of cycles of lock/unlock with the key remote, all to no avail, I tried using the lock/unlock switch on the dash. The bloody thing unlocked and has worked fine ever since (admittedly that's only one day). Don't know why the remote lock didn't work on just that one solenoid when the doors, petrol flap, and tailgate glass were all working.
    Looking at the wiring diagram, all, the solenoids are just connected in parallel so what happens to one happens to all.
    God I hate intermittent faults, you can be sure next time the bloody thing will fail at the most inconvenient time.

Had a look at the tailgate anyway and it looks like the tailgate trim can be removed with the hatch closed but I couldn't see anything resembling an emergency release.
    Some versions of the Scenic had a keyhole on the button which presumably allowed one to open it with a key but mine doesn't have this feature.
    I might fit an emergency release one day, should be easy enough.

Cheers
    Ren
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information