• 1 Post By 63-1092
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 2 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By marbroman
  • 2 Post By Simon

Thread: Dauphine Gordini

Default Dauphine Gordini

Chaps,

It has been ages since I posted. I have located an original '69 Dauphine Gordini (1091) - all there as far as I can see, body panels in good condition, corroded in all the usual spots. Chassis looks like a lot of welding needed. Engine and speedbox all there and rebuildable.

Interior is all there, every piece and all door cards, trunk (bonnet) linings all there too. All of it needs reupholstering but everything original is there for patterns and templates.

All chrome is intact and straight.

Does anyone care to toss out what it might be worth? I am a serious restorer and looking for a project. I was thinking as much as $800 CDN. Does this seem too high.

Advertisement

My estimate to put it right restoration-wise (show quality- not concours) about $10 grand all in.

Are these beasties as rare as they say?

Best regards,

marbroman

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

If it's really rusty perhaps a little less I would of thought on your side of the pond, but even at $800 who cares if your willing to spend $10K, saving $200/300 initially shouldn't matter compared to saving $2/3K on a $10K build.
    jaahn likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

If you want a project why not find a Caravelle (Floride) at $800.
    At least if you put $10K into it or even if you blow your budget and spend $15K it would be worth that or more, just saying, not that I'm a Floride tragic.
    JohnW likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Firstly :-) - Original, R1091 and 1969 as a description for a Dauphine Gordini don't compute. The last Dauphine G was December 1967.

Secondly; "corroded in all the usual spots" sounds scary to me, given the ease with which the Dauphine appears to rust. The message is meaningless without pictures :-)

Engine and gearbox are potentially a $5K+- job in themselves depending on what needs doing, the price of parts and who does the work. Same with the body and trim. It really is a hard question to answer, depending on yours skills, and whether replacement panels will have to be sourced etc.

Also rare and desirable are subjective. A Dauphine G is not exactly rare as many were made, however they are rare in that not many exist in really good condition, and sourcing some parts can be tricky depending on how authentic you want it to be. How flexible is the asking? Who is starting the ball rolling? $800 sounds cheap, but it all depends on what the starting point looks like, and as with many Renaults, the restoration will be a labour of love.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

My view is that the first step is to sort out the identification properly, according to Simon's point at the start of his post.

Personally, I think a serious restoration of a rusty Dauphine would have to start with a serious love affair with the model. We've twice (in 43 years) paid more than our R8 is actually worth for accident repairs but for us it has been worth every cent and we have the car to enjoy. I'd never have spent the money to restore a car that wasn't going to be quite a personal delight.

So, if you love it passionately and can afford the time and expense of restoration, other opinions don't matter.

Otherwise, I'd think quite hard about going down the Dauphine path.

They are sweet little cars, and the extra performance of the Gordini, if it is one, make them nice to drive.

Happy pondering.
    Sunroof and jaahn like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks to all that responded so far.Slip of the finger, someone caught the mistake. 1959 R1091 not 1969! Embarrassed!

I don't want to tip my hand to the seller. He may not exactly know what he has and I feel a fair price (based on completeness) is $800, but the caveat is that I have to have a good look at the engine and gearbox to make sure the numbers are correct, and I have to get it up on a hoist to see if the under-pans and chassis legs and members are salvageable.

Only had a few minutes to inspect outside panels (fixable....I have done dozens) and the floor pan from the passenger door side (also fixable but much more work). I really need to get it up on a hoist to check out underside and sills and such and have a good poke around.

Engine and gearbox, like I said I have done dozens of these over a lifetime, no probs there. I do all my own work. I agree, $5 K if I farmed it out to others. I have a good source of rear engine Renault parts, and a motivated seller. Should be able to keep it OEM.

I started the ball rolling at $800. I won't waste further negotiating unless I can get it up in the air to see the underside and to have a good look at the running gear. I may just pass on it, and maybe look for a Caravelle!

Still, those little Dauphine's were so cute. Someone over in Canada was rounding up shells and converting to electric a few years ago. Does anyone know what happened to that scheme?
    JohnW likes this.

1959 makes things a bit different. You need to check the numbers, as 1959 (R1091 to oval plate 8448) is pre-Aerostable suspension, and also has the 670-04 motor with the angled (parallel) valve head and alloy rocker cover, also non-vented wheels.

Sounds like you are full bottle on what is required in the resto as well, given it sounds like you have done plenty. So you are likely the best judge on what is required and what the costs involved are likely to be. But those chassis rails, especially where they curve up to the inner rear wheel arch can be tricky if rust has eaten its way through.

Those electric Dauphines were based on the Henney Kilowatt. It was Feel Good Cars in Canada who kicked things off with a modern re-creation of brightly coloured electric Dauphines in early 2000. Despite promises of series conversions, I think only a handful were produced before they morphed into ZENN (Zero Emission No Noise) and began converting un-powered microcars imported from France to be converted to electric cars. Last I heard (circa 10 years ago) they morphed into other electric storage technologies, and abandoned car production.
    JohnW and FIVEDOOR like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Just endorsing Simon's comments.

Rare animals, those inclined valve heads!

Those of us over here will really enjoy your restoration posts if you go ahead with it. Don't hesitate to ask for parts, as you never know what is lying around.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Just endorsing Simon's comments.

Rare animals, those inclined valve heads!

Those of us over here will really enjoy your restoration posts if you go ahead with it. Don't hesitate to ask for parts, as you never know what is lying around.
    Very funny, this was just posted, speaking of parts: Gordini Steering Wheel Boss

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information