R 17 Electric fan
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: R 17 Electric fan

Fellow Frogger!

Default R 17 Electric fan

Anyone out there happen to have an electric fan from a 17? My 15 now has a blank timing cover so I need an electric fan. A 17 one will bolt straight onto the 15 radiator and would look more authentic than a generic Chinese alternative.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Fan is only on the R17TS or G so a bit hard to find.
    This is my R15 fan. Note the temperature sensor switch to turn it on and off. Originally I built a tin plate shroud for the fan but some where along the way I never replaced it and it has never been a problem. Very rarely ever comes on anyhow. A Volkswagen sensor fits the Renault R16 collar that I sweated into the R15 radiator. Same place as for an R17. You also need a relay to switch the fan on and off because the sensor won't handle the current for the fan motor.

COL

On my R17TL powered R12 I'm using a Davies Craig fan that was designed for the standard R12 motor and works fine.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yeah, an original fan may fit better than a generic chinese fan, but it won't be better, and it will be 40+ years old. Sunroof did it very nicely, you can also use whatever other sender you might have lying about on condition you have the radiator it was originally fit to, so you can cut the thread adaptor and graft it on your rad. I was looking at my spare 205 rad off my parts car to do the same thing (the car met a tow bar at speed so the rad is in many little pieces anyway). The sender/switch though would have to be a 504 one because they are much more reliable and sturdy (single speed instead of low/high, which makes them simpler, same thread, temperature ranges available, etc).

Some people just fit a cheap generic fan kit with a thermocouple sender. Works but IMO looks nasty with the sender shoved in the top hose and clamp done up to high heaven to force a seal.

And one last comment, for a 12 I would put the sender higher than that to have the fan kick in earlier.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 13th June 2016 at 08:12 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the advice, have a surplus r16 radiator with sensor that can be sacrificed.

If you were wanting to pursue the original - there have been a few thermos's for 12G's and 17's on sale at French Ebay, however they are 150 euros, you'd probably double that by the time it's here & shipped and still 40 odd years old......

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Thanks for the advice, have a surplus r16 radiator with sensor that can be sacrificed.

I would check first if I could use the 16 rad as is, it's bigger anyway, isn't it?

PS. Nevermind, I thought we were talking about a 12.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

A temperature switch can be bought new easily enough, just pick one with the required temperature and thread.
    But most modern cars run at a higher temperature than a R12 so something from a 70's or 80's car would probably be more suitable.
    Anyway, the temperature at which the switch closes will be marked on the unit (or ad if buying new).
    Get a brass nut of the required size (M22 x 1.5 appears to be a popular size) and solder or braze that to the radiator tank in a suitable spot.
    The best way would be to get a decommissioned radiator and strip the temperature switch and nut from that.
    Obviously, it would have to be a metal radiator not a plastic type.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Fellow Frogger!

Actually the 15 radiator is bigger than the 16 one.

I had a surplus fan from my 17TL but I accidentally cracked the plastic fan. I agree that although it won't be original, a modern fan will not only be a more efficient better design, but also won't be old and brittle.
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Anyone out there happen to have an electric fan from a 17? My 15 now has a blank timing cover so I need an electric fan. A 17 one will bolt straight onto the 15 radiator and would look more authentic than a generic Chinese alternative.
    You do know it was only the Gordini/TS that had an electric fan. R17TL had a belt driven fan same as 15TS. I use to use one off a mid 80's Pulsar that fitted perfectly on the radiator and then pinch a sender from a 16 and bronze weld it into the tank of the 17.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    You do know it was only the Gordini/TS that had an electric fan. R17TL had a belt driven fan same as 15TS. I use to use one off a mid 80's Pulsar that fitted perfectly on the radiator and then pinch a sender from a 16 and bronze weld it into the tank of the 17.
    David, are you saying the 17TL should have a pulley on the front of the engine to drive the fan? My 17TL engine has no pulley on the front at all
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    David, are you saying the 17TL should have a pulley on the front of the engine to drive the fan? My 17TL engine has no pulley on the front at all
    That's right it should have a pulley but we converted heaps of them. The fans use to chew out the bearings where they attached to the block so when we did engine rebuids we'd use R16 timing covers and do away with the whole unit.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    That's right it should have a pulley but we converted heaps of them. The fans use to chew out the bearings where they attached to the block so when we did engine rebuids we'd use R16 timing covers and do away with the whole unit.
    Oh I see. For a minute I thought I was sitting on a special engine. It does have twin side draft Webers but probably still just a garden variety R17 engine
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

My R15 had an R16 fan when I got it but the motor sits too close to the exhaust and the bearing was cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    My R15 had an R16 fan when I got it but the motor sits too close to the exhaust and the bearing was cooked.
    Yes we found that. That's why we used Nissan fans.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Oh I see. For a minute I thought I was sitting on a special engine. It does have twin side draft Webers but probably still just a garden variety R17 engine
    You really need to dismantle it to find out for sure. Unless someone can identify it with the engine number.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Thanks David
    cheers,

John

Nah, you don't need to dismantle. Just take the plugs out and look down the hole. If you've got domed pistons, you've got something, if you got flats, it's just a normal 807.
    J-man likes this.

Thanks Schlitzy
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Nah, you don't need to dismantle. Just take the plugs out and look down the hole. If you've got domed pistons, you've got something, if you got flats, it's just a normal 807.
    Yeah I was going to suggest that but sometimes people not in the know get confused by the chamfer on the edge of the piston. I just stick a screwdriver down and feel around.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

1000+ Posts

There can be 4 different piston tops. Completely flat tops because some one has fitted R16 pistons and liners. A chamfer on one side R15 TS and R17TL, chamfer on each side R17TS. Finally domed pistons that are after market high compression competition pistons from someone like Mecca Parts. Is the aluminium engine number plate missing?

A selection of pistons from my R15TS, R17TL, R17TS. If I remember correctly the one with the white arrow is actually from an R16 but came out of an R15TS motor. The one with a chamfer each side from a 17TL and I believe would also be an original R15TS piston. The one with chamfer on three sides my 17TS. Caravelle Imports at one stage only stocked R16 piston and liner sets and R12 G 1596cc pistons and liners. However who knows what is correct as you can not be sure whether they have been replaced at some point with the incorrect type. David should be able to tell us which is which in the photo.

I think you have it right Rob. The piston on the right is from a 16TS, middle is 15TS or 17TL and on the left 17G or 17TS and may well be 78mm giving 1605cc. The 12G pistons have an even larger raised dome in the piston and would normally be 77.8mm diameter to make 1596cc to stay under 1600. I have a set of these in the 4CV. I think it has something like 11.3 to 1 comp ratio.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

That 17TL piston looks different to mine. Mine are flat flat.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    That 17TL piston looks different to mine. Mine are flat flat.
    Yours maybe R16 pistons.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information