Tyre question
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By keith mcelroy

Thread: Tyre question

Fellow Frogger!

Default Tyre question

another question for the Guru's on the R10 I have a good set of R10S wheels, which I am going to install initially on the R10, Widies later on.
    Question is on the 15 R10S wheels which are 1/2 wider than the standard, what tyres can I fit, originally 15X135, I have a set of 15X145 can I go bigger. Without rubbing on the guards etc
    Thanks
    Roger

Advertisement

145s quite ok. 155 will rub inner front guards on full lock.

Fellow Frogger!

tks for your help,

No point quoting diameter or width unless you also clarify aspect ratio. This changes the sidewall profile and can have a large impact.
    Whilst Keith is correct, I run a 175 on 10S rims that only rub on full lock on the inner guard in one spot. I don't recall the aspect ratio however and the tyres are currently in storage so I can't easily check.

It might be possible to run 155 or wider if you went down in aspect ratio (65, 60 or lower). I think Clive runs quite wide tyres on his R8 (but I think 14inch rims) but runs a low aspect ratio (arguably too low). This of course can lead to a rougher ride.
    KB

By 145 and 155 I meant old style I guess 80 aspect ratio.

My 10S came new with 135 (Dunlop SP3) and when worn out (not long) I replaced them with Michelin ZX (increased the 'French' aspect). I chose 155 purely because I was commuting from the Northern Finders to Adelaide and valued the taller gearing on the open road. With care to avoid full lock the rubbing was not an issue. To this day I would not consider lowering the overall gearing, making touring noisier, more stressful on car and driver. I use 145 on my R8 and 10S to this day.

Enjoy
    Keith
    Sunroof likes this.

Personal Message sent.

Keith

1000+ Posts

I suggest 165/65-15 in Continental's EcoContact3. I have long used these tyres in 165/65-14 on 4.5 rims with standard offset on the front of my 4CVG & my R8. Good grip laterally & under braking in wet or dry conditions & easy to pressure tune to your preferred handling balance. They also have talkative & responsive behaviour around the limit.

Being shorter than the 145/80 (4% shorter, about 7/10ths of an inch) should compensate for them being 8/10ths of an inch wider in section (4/10ths on one side).

In short, they shouldn't foul and are much much better as a tyre than any alternative for these rims. I suggest that 3% undergearing compared to 145/80 won't be noticed; the 165/65 is almost identically geared as the commonly fitted 135/80.

I can't imagine why anyone would fit anything else to 4.5" rims (unless high gearing is sought). Buy this month & you'll get 4 for the price of 3.

cheers! Peter

ps: see the conti tyre expansion thread; there's now a question mark over availability which I can't resolve until tuesday
    Last edited by 4cvg; 12th June 2016 at 12:36 AM.

1000+ Posts

hmm! looks like Conti 0z just stuffed up & listed false product availability advice. So, probably no 165/65-15 EC3.

So, 4.5 rims?

5/6 options in my view (there are other choices but none better than these if handling and grip are the priorities).

1. 155/78-15 Michelin Xas FF. Softer compound than the normal Xas but still not much of a tyre (wet grip and aquaplaning). Very expensive.
    2. 155/80-15 or 175/70 Avon CR6ZZ. A very good wet tyre but even more expensive & a bit prone to rapid wear if hurried in the dry.
    3. 170/65 Michelin TB15 tarmac rally road-legal tyre. From what I gather, a splendid tyre (crisp & grippy in wet or dry). But hugely expensive.
    4. Some other tyre in 165/65. Best of a very small set of offerings seems to be Kumho's KH 27. Mixed test results & seems to have been compounded in a way over-biased towards low rolling resistance. But it looks from a 2016 test that it might have been recompounded recently to do better on the eurolabel wet braking test. A bit of of an unknown quantity then; but it would have to be better in all ways than a Michelin XZX or Nankang CX668 (the usual 145 choices).
    Kumho Ecowing ES01 KH27 - Tyre Reviews
    5. Continental's EcoContact3 in 155/60. So long as you don't mind a bit of undergearing (by 7.5% compared to 145/80 & 5% to 135/80), this would be my choice.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Actually, one other possibility occurs to me: Goodyear's Duragrip in 165/60. Main question mark seems to be wet grip.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information