1000+ Posts

Default twingo gt

first details:

Advertisement

Renault Twingo GT revealed ahead of Goodwood debut | Autocar

cheers! Peter

ps: &:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault...ith-more-power
    Last edited by 4cvg; 7th June 2016 at 08:33 PM.

1000+ Posts

The proper successor to the Mini Cooper S.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    The proper successor to the Mini Cooper S.
    Much depends on whether they've sufficiently lessened the unresponsive understeer of the original, given the steering better "feel" & have a way of turning the nanny off. I do hope also that a horrible combination of turbo lag & short wheelbase rear engine twitchiness hasn't eventuated. I would rather that they'd found a way to get more capacity out of the motor.

cheers! Peter

Come on you guys this is just pure ugly. It is the collection of all the ugly parts of other cars put into this.

When are Renault going to design cars that are different to all the other blobs on the road ?????

They designed the R8/R10. the 16TS, the R12, the 20, the R5 (1 and 2) the first of the Clio's the Mk1 Megane. These are all cars of distinction, and now because this blob has a Renault badge on the front, you run after it. ????????

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Come on you guys this is just pure ugly. It is the collection of all the ugly parts of other cars put into this.

When are Renault going to design cars that are different to all the other blobs on the road ?????

They designed the R8/R10. the 16TS, the R12, the 20, the R5 (1 and 2) the first of the Clio's the Mk1 Megane. These are all cars of distinction, and now because this blob has a Renault badge on the front, you run after it. ????????

Ray
    Nope; I actually don't much like its faux Fiat 500 looks (or those of any modern Renault for that matter). That said, it's not as if ugliness is some sort of factual property like mass or electrical charge. All you could reasonably mean is that your aesthetic taste is such that you don't like it. That's purely subjective. I share your taste on this one as it happens (though not on the R20) but any such intersubjective agreement doesn't constitute objectivity either (and adding agreements wouldn't help).

What attracts me is the promise of the mechanical layout. I don't much like driven steering wheels, & I rather like masses to be fairly compactly just aft of the driver - a bit too much aft in this case but . . .

Regrettably, we won't see it, or its Smart Brabus brother.

On looks, I had rather hoped to see an Alpine-lite roadster derived from this (or a Smart one, I have no tribal loyalty to Renault at all, contrary to your assumption) to complement the unappealing (to me) Boxster/4C-rival market pitching of the new Alpine. Meanwhile, I hope the lite-sports Yamaha show car proceeds to production. It will likely be better than anything Alpine/Smart would manage (Mind you, I don't like its cartoon styling either but that's a minor matter for me.)

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 9th June 2016 at 01:44 AM.

thanks for posting this, Peter. if only it was being sold here...
    manna for those of us who grew up on rear engined beasties.

1000+ Posts

I like it actually, since I saw one on the street in Paris. Just like with foods, everyone's tastes are different, but not superior to others'.

Point taken about the dynamics though. I must admit, I made the Cooper comment to my wife about my 206 GTI 138. The torquey, slightly gruff, not that powerful engine, small size and wieldiness reminds me of my 1275 Cooper S.
    Last edited by Stuey; 8th June 2016 at 11:06 AM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

I like it actually, since I saw one on the street in Paris. Just like with foods, everyone's tastes are different, but not superior to others'.

Point taken about the dynamics though. I must admit, I made the Cooper comment to my wife about my 206 GTI 138. The torquey, slightly gruff, not that powerful engine, small size and wieldiness reminds me of my 1275 Cooper S.
    The fourth of my toys is a warm Moke (1330cc, cam, compression, single 40 DCOE, extractor, electronic ignition, 185/60-13 tyres & so on). I bought it new in 1979 & have kept it so I obviously like it. (Basically it replaced an MG Midget & was bought because I wanted another "soft top" & couldn't afford a Fiat X1/9.)

Despite it being nicely sorted & heaps of fun, it's the least favourite of my toys on the windy "C" roads which are my normal drives. Reason? - handling & steering. I understand the merits of front wheel drive & think that I'd very much like a Clio 172 or 182, Cup or not. And yet, and yet . . . . .

Perhaps because I learned to drive & drive briskly on a standard Dauphine on cross-plies & have driven rear engined Renaults ever since & that handling & steering profile is so programmed into me by now that it's intuitive, it is thus preferred. Anyway, it is preferred.

I hope that the Twingo GT exemplifies it without excessive sanitising overlays. If so, then it might be a nice R8G replacement (same power although greater weight) probably faster in in-gear acceleration owing to the torque. I note that there's no blue paint option though :-(

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Don't let the paint colour put you off. Repaint it.

1000+ Posts

Peter, I HAD a Cooper S Mk3 1275 (UK version sold new in Singapore) with silver band displacers and a rear ARB (added before I had it). But no other mods and low, low miles. Absolutely no rust from new. My biggest car-related regret was its disposal! A well known Mini mechanic here in WA said it was the best Cooper he'd ever driven and I still think about that comment while swearing at myself.
    lozenge likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Peter, I HAD a Cooper S Mk3 1275 (UK version sold new in Singapore) with silver band displacers and a rear ARB (added before I had it). But no other mods and low, low miles. Absolutely no rust from new. My biggest car-related regret was its disposal! A well known Mini mechanic here in WA said it was the best Cooper he'd ever driven and I still think about that comment while swearing at myself.
    I thought about a rear bar but found that I could adequately adjust balance by use of, first, tyre size tuning (smaller rears) & then simply tyre pressure tuning (less in rears). I now have adjustable camber & toe at the rear if I want to play further but it's the driven-wheel steering that bugs me.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post

Ray
    What was so special about the Mk 1 Megane?

The big bummed Mk 2 I can understand...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Yeah, I took the anti roll bar off, and same, I had the rear tyres quite soft. The things I could do with that car...fuelled by the stupidity of youth. Italian Job meets the (much less trafficked) streets of Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I thought about a rear bar but found that I could adequately adjust balance by use of, first, tyre size tuning (smaller rears) & then simply tyre pressure tuning (less in rears). I now have adjustable camber & toe at the rear if I want to play further but it's the driven-wheel steering that bugs me.

cheers! Peter

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

more details at the usual (autocar & autoexpress) but evo has a little more detail.

Renault Twingo GT debuts at Goodwood - Renault Sport tweaks for 108bhp hatch | Evo

is the .9 triple really incapable of capacity increase?

cheers! Peter

Thread Information