Scratched Rear Windscreen
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve K
  • 1 Post By Steve K

Thread: Scratched Rear Windscreen

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    640

    Default Scratched Rear Windscreen

    I have a rear windscreen for my R8 which has some scratches. Being the rear glass does not greatly concern me in regard to visibility.
    I haven't taken any photos, but to my mind they look reasonable deep (deeper then the scuffing normally attributed to wipers with badly worn or no rubber blades).
    Has anyone attempted to repair scratches on windscreens before and if so is it doable by a home 'handyman' or should this be left to the professionals?
    If the latter could someone recommend repairers than can fix the scratches?
    Angelo

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,838

    Default

    Angelo most windscreen fitters can polish out scratches but the general rule is that if you can run your fingernails over it and feel it through your nails then it's to deep to polish.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,165

    Default

    Angelo,

    I went through this exercise a few years ago and concluded that minor scratches can be removed at home with pleasing (not perfect) results.

    For anything deeper than what can be readily felt with a fingernail is best left to the professionals as it'll drive you mad trying it yourself.

    Polishing glass............


  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Angelo most windscreen fitters can polish out scratches but the general rule is that if you can run your fingernails over it and feel it through your nails then it's to deep to polish.
    yes I can feel it through my nails, so it looks like a replacement screen is needed.

    Can anyone help out here with a decent (scratch free) second-hand screen?

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Blackburn Victoria
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Angelo,
    The cost of a professional will far outweigh a used screen and the scratches will remain visible.
    An old trick is to use black paint and wipe off the excess. Makes them less noticeable.
    59 Floride and David Cavanagh like this.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,879

    Icon14 Unless they bug you and you must spend the money..... Leave them, time will solve..

    Many rear screens are thinner material, especially if they have a heating element in them. I would avoid trying to polish out scratches. The old and best IMHO! suggestion is to just live with the imperfections and gestalt will work its magic, In the passage of time you won't notice them and save yourself money in the process.

    Ken

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Angelo,
    The cost of a professional will far outweigh a used screen and the scratches will remain visible.
    An old trick is to use black paint and wipe off the excess. Makes them less noticeable.
    Hi Steve, sorry not sure I have seen/heard about this fix?
    What paint should be used, spray can? and then wipe off with turps/thinners?
    Sorry a little confused.
    Angelo

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Many rear screens are thinner material, especially if they have a heating element in them. I would avoid trying to polish out scratches. The old and best IMHO! suggestion is to just live with the imperfections and gestalt will work its magic, In the passage of time you won't notice them and save yourself money in the process.

    Ken
    Hi Ken
    maybe a dark window tint might work hiding some cracks after polishing?
    I will have a think about what to do next.
    Cheers
    Angelo

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Blackburn Victoria
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Angelo, some black enamel paint wiped on with a rag into the scratches and allowed to flash off.
    Then wipe the excess away with a clean rag and turps.
    A bit of judgement to wipe across the scratch and remove paint from the good surface area.
    R8 Dream likes this.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! R8 Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Angelo, some black enamel paint wiped on with a rag into the scratches and allowed to flash off.
    Then wipe the excess away with a clean rag and turps.
    A bit of judgement to wipe across the scratch and remove paint from the good surface area.
    Thanks Steve
    Will give it a go, but if its still too obvious, will be putting a "WTB Rear Windscreen" add in the classifieds soon.
    Cheers
    Angelo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •