Anyone with a current shape Megane Wagon?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By COL

Thread: Anyone with a current shape Megane Wagon?

Default Anyone with a current shape Megane Wagon?

Hi

I'm looking at hiring a car in Italy, Megane wagon (or similar, but Megane seems to have the tightest luggage space). I'm trying to find out the dimensions of the boot, but can only find litres (or cubic cm) online.

Advertisement

Does anyone have one, and is able to take some measurements for me? I'm after:
    Height - Floor to cargo blind
    Width - At narrowest point (between the wheel arches)
    Length at shortest point under cargo net - I'm guessing this would be pretty much the length of the cargo net, as the back seat would be raked to give a shorter distance at the top than the bottom.

Any assistance is much appreciated. I can't get to a dealer until next week and hoping to find out before then.

Daniel

COL

Hi Daniel

Heres a link that may help you Megane Wagon Specifications & Performance - Renault Cars
    Kenfuego and DanielBendigo like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

My suggestion would be to hire a sedan rather than a wagon, as at least you can stow stuff out of sight in the boot - too easy to break windows and steal luggage that is exposed for all to see that you are a tourist. That at least puts off casual thieves, professionals usually know to look for signs it is a hire car, or that the boot is heavily laden.

Just saying..

Ken

Did you hire the meggy ? I'm travelling to Europe in September and am aiming at hiring a grand scenic as there's 4 adults with luggage

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Daniel

Heres a link that may help you Megane Wagon Specifications & Performance - Renault Cars
    Don't I feel stupid now. I spent well over an hour trawling through road tests (in French as well as English using google translate), looking at all sorts of images, and not once thought to actually check any Renault website, let alone the Aussie one. I just assumed they would only have litres. Thank you, and according to those dimensions, it will easily fit our luggage. Even if I take my biggest suitcase it will fit three of those and a thinner one in.

There's very few sedan's in that category with hire car companies. Avis and Hertz don't appear to have any sedan's for our location. Europcar don't have a sedan until Audi A4/Mercedes C class which are 2.5 times the price of a Megane.

Avis have a Scenic, but by time you add insurance (their excess is over $5000), they're substantially more than Europcar for a Megane. I think I'd prefer the upright position of a Scenic, but their 'or similar' includes a Jeep Renegade, which has far too small a boot. The Europcar similar includes similar sized cars (except the Fiat 500L). We're looking at a one way rental from Palermo to Catania in Italy for 5 days.

Avis have a Scenic, but by time you add insurance (their excess is over $5000), they're substantially more than Europcar for a Megane.

I'd recommend that you check your travel insurance. Most Travel policies pick up the XS on hire cars.

Cheers,

pj (Megane wagon owner but only found this thread today)

Quote Originally Posted by Berlioz View Post
    Avis have a Scenic, but by time you add insurance (their excess is over $5000), they're substantially more than Europcar for a Megane.

I'd recommend that you check your travel insurance. Most Travel policies pick up the XS on hire cars.

Cheers,

pj (Megane wagon owner but only found this thread today)

My travel insurance only covers $2k hire car excess. I've only hired a car once in Europe before, so the light excess coverage has never really been an issue before. The the excesses are far more reasonable in North America.

I'm going to go with good insurance though. Given some of the stories I've heard about driving in Sicily, I think it's pretty smart.

Thread Information