radiator removal
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: radiator removal

Default radiator removal

My R19 has now sprung a leak in the radiator I am assuming. It seems to be somewhere below the temperature sensor. Even with a mirror it is impossible to pin point. I started pulling the radiator yesterday. The Haynes manual is very and not of a great deal of help. It says to remove air-conditioner unit without disconnecting the pipes. There is one bolt I can't get access to on both sides. All this plastic shrouding under and around the bumper bar gives me no access from underneath. Taking that all off isn't that easy either. The problem I now face is even if I can remove the bumper bar will that help. The problem I can see is that the oil cooler for the auto transmission and the thermos fan do not separate from the radiator until they are out of the car. then I have the problem of getting that all past the flexible hose that runs to the air-conditioner unit. Then once it is out how hard are aluminium radiators to weld, repair or replace? Yours Sincerely Shane

Advertisement

G'day Froggers, I managed to get the radiator out today. According to the manual I needed to remove the air-conditioner compressor. There was one bolt I couldn't remove because a pulley was in the way. I then decided to separate the thermo fan, radiator and condenser. I really wanted to avoid undoing the air-conditioning lines. The four top bolts were obviously easy. The bottom two on the fan and condenser were absolute mongrel things to get out. I first needed to remove the air filter assembly. That allowed me easier access to the wiring connections and one of the two screws holding the fan to the radiator. I had a friend with skinnier arms and longer fingers help me, lol. The bottom two bolts holding the condenser to the radiator has loose nuts. I will need to buy or find some slip nuts so I can do the bolts back up. I can't possibly see how it can be done in situ. Lining up the two bolts that hold the thermo fan on are also going to be a bloody nightmare. Any suggestions appreciated. The radiator is leaking from the bottom corner below the temperature sensor. I am going to send it away to be re-cored. Yours Sincerely Shane

1000+ Posts

Hi Shane, Once you undo the 4 screws holding the condenser to the radiator it is easy (relatively and with patience)to lift the radiator out without undoing the a/c compressor
    I've repaired a few radiators by uncrimping the tanks and cleaning them out. Used ThreeBond to make a seal and re-crimp the tanks. It worked on one and not on another.
    With the last one i just bought a new one from Caravelle imports. It cost $250 at the time.
    When you see how much crap there is in the radiator you'll be able to imagine what the transmission oil cooler looks like (not much cooling happening there )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radiator removal-p1000535.jpg   radiator removal-p1000538.jpg  
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

G'day fellow Froggers, I had to buy a new radiator. No one wanted to touch the old copper radiator with plastic sides. The new radiator is aluminium with plastic sides not copper. I did manage to get the new radiator back in without having to remove or disconnect the air-conditioner condenser. I did need to buy some speed nuts. I had no chance in hell of doing up the bottom bolts without them. Even then it was a long, hard and tedious process.

The radiator was leaking when it was still under warranty. After replacing it, six months later it had corroded out again. When they replaced it for the second time they ran an earth wire from the steel frame on the thermo fan to the chasis. I did not have another problem after that. The thermo fan now doesn't want to work on my Renault. It worked fine before I removed the old radiator. I checked the fuse and it fine. Does anyone have any suggestions. Electrics isn't my strong point.

Just for JoBo, I have kept the old radiator. I am going to try and fix the problem myself. You said you had a 50/50 success rate. Do you have any suggestions for me. Yours Sincerely Shane.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    G'day fellow Froggers, I had to buy a new radiator. No one wanted to touch the old copper radiator with plastic sides. The new radiator is aluminium with plastic sides not copper. I did manage to get the new radiator back in without having to remove or disconnect the air-conditioner condenser. I did need to buy some speed nuts. I had no chance in hell of doing up the bottom bolts without them. Even then it was a long, hard and tedious process.

The radiator was leaking when it was still under warranty. After replacing it, six months later it had corroded out again. When they replaced it for the second time they ran an earth wire from the steel frame on the thermo fan to the chasis. I did not have another problem after that. The thermo fan now doesn't want to work on my Renault. It worked fine before I removed the old radiator. I checked the fuse and it fine. Does anyone have any suggestions. Electrics isn't my strong point.

Just for JoBo, I have kept the old radiator. I am going to try and fix the problem myself. You said you had a 50/50 success rate. Do you have any suggestions for me. Yours Sincerely Shane.
    Could be a number of things.

Have you got all the wires back in the right place?

Does the fan come on when you bridge out the the thermo switch?

Do you have a multimeter to be able to measure voltages?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Hi Shane, don't have any tips to fix the radiator. I used ThreeBond which costs about $30 for a tube. Was told it's the best. Just undo the metal lip that holds the tanks on; clean the radiator and surfaces well and re-assemble with the sealant in place.
    Since you have a new radiator i doubt it's worth trying to fix it. Probably better to clean out the system and use good coolant. BTW, are the radiator and associated hoses still pliable or crusted up inside? If they are crusted up, i'd replace them since the system runs at 14 psi if i recall.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

You need more tools.
    Special little fiddly ones maybe???

Have replaced both the r19 and rx4 radiators in the last few years and don't remember failing, or needing any modifications to existing hardware.

Jo
    JoBo likes this.

G'day Froggers, thanks for the advice. I just want to try and fix this old radiator just for the challenge. I have test driven the car and everything seems fine. I had a friend come over and we sorted out the thermo fan. I hadn't checked the obvious and it turned out to be a simple fuse, lol. I also ran an earth wire from between the thermo fan and radiator to the chasis for good measure. I had no idea that the radiator ran at 14 psi. I expected it to be around 3/4 psi. As I said though everything seems to be working as it should. I will let you all know how my fix on the radiator goes. Yours sincerely Shane

1000+ Posts

Like to hear of your fix for the radiator. Always prefer home fixes when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Hi Shane, Once you undo the 4 screws holding the condenser to the radiator it is easy (relatively and with patience)to lift the radiator out without undoing the a/c compressor
    I've repaired a few radiators by uncrimping the tanks and cleaning them out. Used ThreeBond to make a seal and re-crimp the tanks. It worked on one and not on another.
    With the last one i just bought a new one from Caravelle imports. It cost $250 at the time.
    When you see how much crap there is in the radiator you'll be able to imagine what the transmission oil cooler looks like (not much cooling happening there )
    Enjoying this thread and the information. Those photos seem to demonstrate the benefits of using and changing the right coolant. Of course you can't control what WAS done or not done before you buy a car. Our 9-year old Scenic has just had its first coolant change it seems! All clean though.

Good luck with it all Shane.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information