Koleos
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ceenine
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: Koleos

Default Koleos

I saw about 150 new Koleos's at the wharf yards at Devonport today (mainly black and white ones). Does anybody know what there destination is? Have Tasmanians taken a sudden shine to this model?

Advertisement
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    I saw about 150 new Koleos's at the wharf yards at Devonport today (mainly black and white ones). Does anybody know what there destination is? Have Tasmanians taken a sudden shine to this model?
    Probably car hire companies.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Not at this time of the tourism cycle surely
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Practice cars for rescue teams?

What about speed camera cars?

The sales of SUV's in Tasmania is up 4.5% for the year, passenger cars down -19.2% for the same period.

https://www.treasury.tas.gov.au/domi...icle-Sales.pdf
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Addo, care to elucidate?
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

I just had this idea that the emergency services might want to practice chopping up modern cars, and it suited Renault to supply them!

As for the speed camera cars, well, a lot of people hate on French vehicles already - so why not go with the flow?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Probably car hire companies.
    Quite correct: hire car companies in Tasmania use a lot of Koleos's. How do I know? I bought an ex-Budget vehicle from Tasmania, barely a year old and with low km's for $12,000 less than new. Budget, like others, seem to have some sort of corporate 'buy-back' arrangement with Renault. In Brisbane there is currently a new wave of ex-hire vehicles, mainly black, being offered by Renault dealerships.
    I bought a lovely rare silver BOSE model from the last batch.
    I guess this arrangement is a win-win for both the hire companies and for Renault, because the former get a regular supply of fresh vehicles, and Renault gets some exposure for the hard to sell Koleos. All ex-corporate/hire vehicles are fully backed by Renault as 'Approved Used', with warranty, two free services and so on. Renault even gave me a new key card, worth $375, because the careless dealer lost the original spare key.
    A spin-off from this is that one sees a lot more Koleoses here in Brisbane than before. This week I saw two!
    Last edited by Breitie; 27th May 2016 at 08:42 AM.

Explanations given so far are somewhat implausible.

Just imagine if the French (Bruni D'Entrecasteaux and his sailing mates) had settled Tasmania before the Poms (it was that close!), there would be much greater range of French cars here than currently on offer and for that matter maybe a Facel Vega or two in the past.

Back to the dumping of Koleoses at the East Devonport wharf park I will ask the local Renault guru Trevor Wise what is going on. I suspect it is a positioning of stock prior to the Aussie release of the new model. Maybe the Tasmania Police are taking them on. After all they are the right colour taken collectively - very Collingwood being mainly black and white.
    addo likes this.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

It just occurred to me that if SUV sales are on the rise in Tassie that perhaps Renault under their fairly competent recent management have decided that perhaps they can sell them there? Or where else would they have sent them? One does wonder about some people's thought processes...........
    DanielBendigo likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Ahh, Devonport, where all signs in the airport are bilingual.
    Therein may lead the possible answer. If it weren't for Chinese tourism, Tasmania would be on its knees. When I flew from Devonport to Sydney 90% of the passengers would have been Chinese.
    The Chinese like SUVs.They are cashed up and like that style of vehicle. Why shouldn't Renault exploit that and get visual numbers on the road (and registrations at the same time).

Dave

PS Late edit. I meant , of course, Lonnie Airport, Devonport is of course, the place where mixed meats (pressed together), sail into Tasmania.
    Last edited by 68 404; 29th May 2016 at 06:18 PM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Ahh, Devonport, where all signs in the airport are bilingual.
    Therein may lead the possible answer. If it weren't for Chinese tourism, Tasmania would be on its knees. When I flew from Devonport to Sydney 90% of the passengers would have been Chinese.
    The Chinese like SUVs.They are cashed up and like that style of vehicle. Why shouldn't Renault exploit that and get visual numbers on the road (and registrations at the same time).

Dave
    Spot on Dave! And the Koleos is popular in China, more than in any other country - makes them feel at home I guess.

Oh great, a Sino tourism recovery facilitated by a Franco cum Koreo conveyance. We're in grave danger of becoming part of the visitor mainstream down here. The biggest danger is that many Asian tourists are able to hire a car when they either don't have a licence or are used to driving on the other side of the road. How the former happens I am not sure.

I guess the sale of Renault vehicles through hire businesses is very smart marketing. It puts potential buyers into a marque they would otherwise not consider. It occurred during the late sixties when Renault sold many R10's to Hertz here, followed by early R12's. I wonder if Renault Australia used this strategy in other mainland (read the big island to the North) states.

I will post a photo of the gathering of the Koleoses at the Devonport wharf tomorrow. 'Tis enough to gladden a Renophiles heart as the great bard would say. I don't think I have seen anything like this many Hyundais even, at the holding yard.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Rental car companies won't hire cars to people who don't hold licences. They're not that silly.

Mitsubishi owned one of the big hire companies here (Budget??, Thrifty??) and many people who would not have considered driving a Mitsubishi got their bum in the seat of one.

I'm sure Renault has the same philosophy. The Koleos needs to be driven to appreciate its virtues. The fact it is built in Korea is not a negative.

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Rental car companies won't hire cars to people who don't hold licences. They're not that silly.

Mitsubishi owned one of the big hire companies here (Budget??, Thrifty??) and many people who would not have considered driving a Mitsubishi got their bum in the seat of one.

I'm sure Renault has the same philosophy. The Koleos needs to be driven to appreciate its virtues. The fact it is built in Korea is not a negative.

Dave
    Mitsubishi used to own Thrifty. I think they were owned by Chrystler and Mitsubishi got them back then. I seem to remember years ago reading something about them having sold it but still had a long-term deal to supply cars.

A few months ago there was a spate of 'ex-demo' Koleos's around the dealers yards. Most seemed to be under six months old with under 10,000k's. There were quite a few manuals, so don't think they would have been ex-hire. One dealer had a manual Expression with less than 10k km's for $15,990 driveaway. If I'd been interested in a 2WD SUV or a family car of some sort I would have been very interested.

Fellow Frogger!

A quick Google tells me that there seem to be only two car hire companies on the mainland that have Koleoses available. Thrifty apparently just recently added the Koleos to their fleet (must have finally been 'persuaded' by Renault!) in the IWAR category (don't know what that stands for) and Europcar had them for a while in their JFAR (intermediate elite, like Volvo) category. And as we know, Budget in Tasmania had them for a while. Then I have discovered a curious outfit called "DriveMyCar", where people hire out their private cars, and which lists a number of Koleos - I would not readily submit my own car to this venture, but then oops!, I forget that our Chinese friends without a licence have been thrashing my car through the Tasmanian wilderness for a whole year before she came to me. A bit like marrying a retired sex worker I suppose. Well run in!

As promised, a photograph of a Kluster of Koleoses at Devonport holding yard. Photo of Devonport wharf in the background is a bonus.

I estimate there is about a gross of them. They have not been there long.Koleos-pict0652.jpg
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

That's a hell of a lot of Kolei...

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Having noted that the New, Bigger, Koleos is scheduled to arrive in Australia in the 3rd quarter of 2016, there might be some very juicy deals coming up on the current models!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koleos-renault-koleos-2017.jpg   Koleos-renault-koleos-2017-2.jpg   Koleos-renault-koleos-2017-31.jpg  

Thread Information