• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By cav91

Thread: Scenic earth problem

Default Scenic earth problem

Hi: Can anyone help with this question. When I apply the foot brake a yellow driving light indicator comes on the dash. But I notice that I have funny blinkers at times and brake lights that do funny things. I'm pretty sure that it will be a faulty earth. I pulled out rear lights and couldn't find anything. Under the car below the spare wheel I found an earth and took it apart and cleaned it and it made no difference.

Can anyone tell me where I might find the faulty earth?

cheers
    Geoff

Advertisement

COL

High Geoff

There are several earth points in modern Renaults. From your description it could be one of the earth points up the front.

You can either find them by tracing out the looms and looking for a single/several wires leaving the loom and going to the body or look in a workshop manual and find there location.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Scenic Earth - isn't that Tasmania, Col?
    Geoff in Gully likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Have had exactly this problem on our Mk 1 Scenic.
    I think it was actually the yellow fog lamp warning light that came on when touching the brakes or the indicators.
    The bad connection was in the multi-pin plug going into the rear light assembly, similar to earthing problem.
    Maybe if you note which side indicator causes the warning light to flicker, might tell you which side assembly has the poor connection.

I firstly removed the rear fog lamp globes, I think they were the lower globes, and the problem went away. Removing one at a time may also tell you which side has the problem. (This was only for diagnosis, after fixing the connectors, the globes were put back in).

Then I tracked it down to the plug connector in the light assembly. I seem to remember that the metal connector tabs in the socket had lost their tension, and I was able to bend them a little and fixed the problem. Did both sides as they were both a bit dodgy. Has not occurred again since, maybe a couple of years.

I may have put up a post on this some time ago, I'll try to find it.

Here it is:
    Rear Fog Light Indicator Glowing with Brakes and Turn Indicators. All models?

Edit: And to save you looking at the link, this was the main bit:

""The bad earth is commonly in the rear light assembly connection, where the six pin plug at the end of the harness plugs in. Very easily accessed in the Scenic from the boot area, no tools required. Removed the back of the light assembly which contains all the rear bulbs in one circuit board. Removed the plug connector (squeeze tab with pliers to remove). On the male earth pin in the circuit board (at one end of the six pins) I found a small build-up of hard "carbon" which I chipped off with a jeweller's screwdriver. This build up was like a grain of sand about 0.5 mm dia only. Then I was able to use a very small jeweller's screwdriver to insert behind the spring connectors in the female wiring plug half and bend them all a little to increase the tension in the connections. A little WD-40 for good measure, and re-assembled. Repeated both sides. Problem fixed.""

Last edited by Fordman; 23rd May 2016 at 02:00 PM.
    addo likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Had similar in my 605, the earthing was high resistance at the pin/socket of the plug. Reckon Chris is bang on the money.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Scenic Earth - isn't that Tasmania, Col?
    Sure is, but keep it quiet.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Similar fault on a Fugeo once all the instrument needles used to flick with the indicators. The faulty earth was near front headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Stewart View Post
    Hi: Can anyone help with this question. When I apply the foot brake a yellow driving light indicator comes on the dash. But I notice that I have funny blinkers at times and brake lights that do funny things. I'm pretty sure that it will be a faulty earth. I pulled out rear lights and couldn't find anything. Under the car below the spare wheel I found an earth and took it apart and cleaned it and it made no difference.

Can anyone tell me where I might find the faulty earth?

cheers
    Geoff
    It's usually the earth pin on the plug in the tail light. Easiest and most reliable fix is running a new Earth wire directly to the earth track on the circuit board. Then usually the other end under the nut that holds the taillight in, after a light bit of sanding to make a strong earth.
    addo likes this.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Thanks everyone and especially Mr Fordman for his detail. Will give that a go. If you don't hear from me then you know it was fixed. Yes it is a 2001 Scenic.

cheers
    Geoff

There is an earth bolt on each side of the car.
    Perhaps clean up the connection and/or run an additional wire to the bolt.

312.pdf313.pdf

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information