Renault Kwid scores 0 stars in NCAP test...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By mistareno
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Haakon
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: Renault Kwid scores 0 stars in NCAP test...

Administrator

Default Renault Kwid scores 0 stars in NCAP test...

Renault Kwid scores zero stars in Global NCAP crash test

Oops...

Advertisement

Probably a good thing it's not sold here. It might crash into Tata Nano's ok, probably less so against the average Aussie SUV...
    Last edited by mistareno; 18th May 2016 at 11:02 PM.

You have some kind of problem with this?

From what I understand India has no National Safety Standards. All manufacturers can and do produce and sell anything they like, not just Renault.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/52313665.cms
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 18th May 2016 at 11:08 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Suzuki and Hyundai didn't cover themselves with glory either. Part of the failures are airbag omission to price to a market. What is harder to understand is structural failure from a maker that has the expertise and software to get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Suzuki and Hyundai didn't cover themselves with glory either. Part of the failures are airbag omission to price to a market. What is harder to understand is structural failure from a maker that has the expertise and software to get this right.
    People like you and me are at pains to avoid running into each other or anything else.
    Berridale likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Even the airbag version scored 0.

Like you, I find the obvious lack of safety engineered into the basic structure to be pretty average.- regardless of price point.
    Kenfuego likes this.

COL

Did you notice it has only 3 week nuts, which begs the question of how old is the engineering?
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Retooled Series 1 Renault 5? Analagous to Ambassadors being 1950s Morris Oxfords.

We certainly won't see them in Oz. I've worked in that part of the world, and real mass has a bit going for it IMHO.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Administrator

It uses the new CMF-A platform. It will share that platform with the upcoming Datsun(Nissan) rediGO
    It's an all new platform. Perhaps the A stands for Anemic...

The buckling at top of A-pillars and sills just below driver's seat forward lip, are its most telling aspects of deformation.

In terms of the subcontinent, it's backloading the costs. More cars sold means more up-front revenue for the Government; the price of injuries and death is clearly seen as much further down the list of concerns, something for "later".

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    It uses the new CMF-A platform. It will share that platform with the upcoming Datsun(Nissan) rediGO
    It's an all new platform. Perhaps the A stands for Anemic...
    Or AVOID NCAP Tests?

Testing a car built for use in ONLY countries where NCAP tests are not any part of the engineering process and have absolutely no impact on car sales (yet) is to me a thoroughly pointless exercise. So is commenting on the vehicles perceived inadequacies. I don't recall any of the first four new Renaults I bought ever having passed any NCAP tests either. They were unusual for their time in being fitted with lap-sash seat-belts......

The reason is simple it's not the full quid.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Its just a bit odd... Starting from scratch, I struggle to understand how it really saves that much money to design such a weak structure. Steel is not that expensive, and a bit more of it in critical areas surely couldnt have been that hard...?

Reminds me of this.....

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Its just a bit odd... Starting from scratch, I struggle to understand how it really saves that much money to design such a weak structure. Steel is not that expensive, and a bit more of it in critical areas surely couldnt have been that hard...?
    High and ultra high strength steel is obviously worth more than the recycled tuna cans they use for Indian market cars...

I also love how the updated Kwid structure was reinforced for better safety...

But they only reinforced the drivers side...

1000+ Posts

couldnt have been that hard..
    It is hard. Stiffening one part of a thin body shell under impact loading only deforms another. The engineers use finite element analysis and it's slow, mathematical and methodical. My earlier point is that Renault has this ability.

The lakhs of rupees counters have gone too far. I suppose the marketers would complain if the money was saved in fitments and interiors.
    addo likes this.

Administrator

The Fuego looks positively 5 star in comparison.

Apart from minor details ...like the seatbelts that appear to allow unlimited forward travel, the seat that snaps backwards and the steering wheel that neatly flips upwards to give the driver an upper cut ☺

But hey. Atleast the passenger compartment remains largely intact....

Last edited by mistareno; 19th May 2016 at 12:31 PM.

I think you'll find there is a lot more to engineering crash protection into a vehicle than the thin tin. It is quite a science and the engineering itself is not cheap. I think this explains why manufacturers like to use the same platforms for several models?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I think you'll find there is a lot more to engineering crash protection into a vehicle than the thin tin. It is quite a science and the engineering itself is not cheap. I think this explains why manufacturers like to use the same platforms for several models?
    But thats my point. Surely the engineering for the Twingo is paid for, just use that... Nothing needs to be reinvented - I dont get why it costs more to make it strong.
    IThompson likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    The Fuego looks positively 5 star in comparison.

Apart from minor details ...like the seatbelts that appear to allow unlimited forward travel, the seat that snaps backwards and the steering wheel that neatly flips upwards to give the driver an upper cut ☺

But hey. Atleast the passenger compartment remains largely intact....

As I've remarked elsewhere, one message is that if one has inertia reel belts (without a modern pyrotechnic pre-tensioner), then remove them in favour of a 3-point "fixed" harness.

cheers! Peter
    Kim Luck likes this.

But thats my point. Surely the engineering for the Twingo is paid for, just use that... Nothing needs to be reinvented - I dont get why it costs more to make it strong.
    Maybe Twingo engineering involves acres more of different spec and high tensile sheetmetal and dozens of different and complex sub assemblies together with every modern safety invention to comply with NCAP. The subcontinent is not full of $80k+ p.a. wage earners, and if you want them to progress from three wheeled vehicle to ones with four wheels you need to make 'em cheap!

Thread Information