R10 door gaps
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By renault8&10

Thread: R10 door gaps

Fellow Frogger!

Default R10 door gaps

I'm test fitting my doors to check the gaps for the guards and they look a little large. Can someone measure them for me? Gaps for front and rear doors if possible.

Advertisement

The guards and doors need a little work.

They were never brilliant in that area. Think 1960s, assembled from CKD kits. I'll go and measure mine when it is light. I might be disappointed when I've done it. Still, they are better than the Citroen CX.

If you can get the door to door gaps even and about vertical and similar to the door to body gaps at each end, and the tops parallel to the gutter line, I reckon that'd be as good as new.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Our R10 has approximately 6mm gaps all around except between the right hand front and rear doors which is 8mm. The engine cover is 6mm all around and the luggage compartment 8mm all around. I didn't measure but I think the gap between the door and rain guttering might be closer to 8mm.

Fellow Frogger!

So the door is out of alignment. As the hinges are fixed they'll need to be bent. Has anyone done this before? Do I do it hot or cold?

You'll have a hard time bending the hinges cold, the cure might be worse than the ailment.

My Fregate (different to an R10 yes) has door gap issues and I unsuccessfully tried to bend the hinge, but on closer inspection I opined that it was better to massage the area on the door itself where the hinge bolts up. I used a small wood block 50 X 50 and gently tapped and massaged until I got it. The adjustment needed was quite small.

It is possible that the door has bent slightly in the hinge area after a lifetime of use.

Well, most of our early model 1964 R8 gaps are in the 8-10 mm range, as small as 6 mm in a few places, like the bottom gap between front and rear doors. I suspect the R10s were better-built (they certainly feel more solid).

Mind you, Sunroof's R10 might not have been tee-boned twice! The gaps on our car look OK to me as most are close to parallel, perhaps better than before the repairs actually. Then the edges of various bits are themselves a bit out of straightness, nothing to do with the accidents. The problem goes away if you step back a few metres. The important matter is that everything shuts nicely.

I liked the comment "the cure might be worse than the ailment".

Be careful with the doors themselves, regarding the spot welding of the hinge pin sockets onto the sheet steel. Do you have or have access to spare doors to fit up for comparison?

Good luck - now's exactly the time to address this of course.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

You can manipulate the hinges, there is a tool I used on VB VC commodores which is a flat bar with an angle cut to slide on the hinge to bend it either way.
    The other option which I used on my Dauphine is a 12in shifter with a pipe over the end and placing it in the middle of the hinge and it moved easily .

Fellow Frogger!

Getting there, see the before and after shots. The shifter and water pipe method was used. Is the bottom of the door meant be be flush with the sill, or sit out a little. I think the rear door needs to move in or the sill is slightly caved in.

I have two rear door options, both not perfect but bad in different ways. One has had the bottom 100mm reskinned, there was 3mm of filler on the bottom from the body line down. The metal is also stretched and oil canning. The other is rusted, not unrepairable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 door gaps-1463211812681.jpg   R10 door gaps-1463211821590.jpg   R10 door gaps-1463211965413.jpg  

That second photo looks about right to me, the first being too small a clearance even at a safe viewing distance! The third photo shows how good electrophoresis was when Renault Australia was learning how to do it, at a guess.

You're used to heroics ( ), but there's only so much you can do about the doors' edge lines.

Nice work.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Rear door number 3 is a lot better in terms of alignment at the bottom. I'll have to strip it and check for rust. It does have the original paint so shouldn't have been bogged

Tongue in cheek, I'd say find another shell and start again.
    JohnW and J-man like this.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by 61 Gordini View Post
    You can manipulate the hinges, there is a tool I used on VB VC commodores which is a flat bar with an angle cut to slide on the hinge to bend it either way.
    The other option which I used on my Dauphine is a 12in shifter with a pipe over the end and placing it in the middle of the hinge and it moved easily .
    Ditto above was my method. I was amazed with such a small movement of the hinge how much better the door gaps become. I think all my doors were from another R8/R10 , and just needed to be patient as you had to match the front and rear guards also.
    Last edited by R8 Dream; 14th May 2016 at 09:30 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Tongue in cheek, I'd say find another shell and start again.
    That thought has crossed my mind several times. I'd done about 12 months work on the first body, about the same amount on this one but I seem to have gotten a lot further.

My R8 has a heady mixture of doors, and a good panel beater sorted them quite well. You all remind me to consider doing something about the Citroen CX, which is really poor in this regard. Thanks for the good advice.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information