• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By Sarosa

Thread: R16 radiator

Tadpole

Default R16 radiator

I'm finally having a crack at the early 16 I picked up last year. I was wondering if anyone had a decent radiator for sale ... the one in it has got a few leaks and I imagine would be quite pricey to get welded up at a radiator joint. The car has the 1470cc motor. Thanks, Tom

Advertisement

Tom,
    My advise with all radiators, "If it is old and leaking have it re-cored" any used rad will be just as bad as what you have. A radiator is the life of an engine.

Ray
    alexander likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

The earlier radiators are pretty hard to find and even harder to find in good workable condition. I'd follow Ray's advice and get it re-cored. I had an early one done at Eastern Radiators (Nunawading) about 3 years ago. It was around $400. They did a good job. Can you post up some pictures of your 16??

BTW early 16TS's had the early radiator as well, up to 1970. They can be changed over to a later bigger style if you can find a replacement housing bracket.
    Last edited by Sarosa; 8th May 2016 at 10:42 AM.
    addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I have about three or four in good condition with fans if you are interested. You can have the best one for a case of beer if you can arrange inspection and pick up.

Cheers

Tadpole

Hi Busta, appreciate it. I don't really want to spend $400 on a recore (as much as I agree with the other posters here), as at this stage I just want to get the car running ok and then make a call on how far I want to go. I might try my luck on one of yours for a case of beer if you're happy with that. I'm back in Melbourne later in the week. Can I call you?

ps Sarosa, there are some pics on the car in the "R16 Register" of the "Renault Specific Forum".

Fellow Frogger!

Send me a pm and I'll give you a number. I am Sydney based.

Thread Information