Fuego fuel problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuego fuel problem

Hi Guys,

Just bought a Fuego that had been for sale on this forum for a long time. The car runs very well but I have a problem with trying to keep the fuel in the fuel system. After filling it up the car kept pumping the fuel out of the filler at a great rate over 2 days. Lost nearly a 1/4 of a tank on to the road. Also, when going through winding roads quickly, the car gets full of fumes. Is the float bowl of the carby meant to be connected to the charcoal canister? Mine isn't, it's connected to the air cleaner. Any help with this would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Advertisement

Derek Kirk

1000+ Posts

Sounds like your immediate need is a new or non vented Filler cap for the petrol tank. Your post does not identify where you are, but in Melbourne it is worth a
    visit to see Ken and Anne Bailey at Caravelle Imports 14 Rowan Court, Box Hill North 3129. Phone (03) 9890 9061. Ken carries a good range of Fuego new spares email is [email protected] Ken does have new lock up Fuego
    non vented caps at a reasonable price.

The other thing that you can do (if in melbourne) is have a look at a similar car
    and check your pipe/connection configuration against one that is working and connected correctly (the easy way) otherwise if I can ever get my scanner working correctly on this forum I could post a photo or specs that I have.

You will probably get some better technical advice from other owners in the meantime, but I can assure you that most issues can be addressed via this forum.

Also if in Melbourne, take the opportunity of meeting with other owners at the RCCV 8pm Thursday 8th of April at the Surrey Hills Neighborhood house, Union Road Surrey Hills (Via Bedford Avenue Melways 46 H11) or Sunday the 18th 10am at the French Car Festival Macleay Park North Balwyn (Melway 46 C5)

Welcome to the Forum!

Ken

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by djkirk
    Hi Guys,

Just bought a Fuego that had been for sale on this forum for a long time. The car runs very well but I have a problem with trying to keep the fuel in the fuel system. After filling it up the car kept pumping the fuel out of the filler at a great rate over 2 days. Lost nearly a 1/4 of a tank on to the road. Also, when going through winding roads quickly, the car gets full of fumes. Is the float bowl of the carby meant to be connected to the charcoal canister? Mine isn't, it's connected to the air cleaner. Any help with this would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Kirk
    G'day Derek

I think you brought chrissies car (it was getting it's RWC at French Connection last week, yes)

I test drove this car a few months back and from memory, it has most of the polution hoses removed.

It also has an eletric choke assy (so it'll probably work )

If memory serves the hose goes from the fuel bowl vent to the Charcoal canister.

I have a manual and the original Australian pollution document that came with the owners manual.

I live in romsey so I might be able to photocopy it at work and give you a copy (perhaps the next time your in Kyneton)

Regards
    Richard

P.S - what did ya get it for in the end??

Tadpole

Hi all

My feugo has been leaking fuel from the filler as well,
    after buying a new fuel cap (proper one) it is still leaking fuel and I am concerned I may have a bigger issue.
    there is a plastic valve thing underneath the fuel cap I have not been able to disern wether this is where the fuel is leaking from but assume it must be.

what is the purpose of this valve? can I just block it up or will that cause bigger problems?

damm I thought the new fuel cap would solve this problem.

1000+ Posts

Sable

There are some new caps about that claim to fit the Fuego, but will vent through the cap as pressure builds up in the tank. I had a brand new after market locking cap that leaked through the key hole. Bought a valeo locking cap from Ken Bailey (Caravelle) and this fixed the problem.

Some tanks seem to build up more pressure than others, and I assume that this may be because there is a blockage somewhere on the line to the charcoal filter. When you undo the cap there should be a slight escape of pressure from the tank under normal driving conditions.

Also if you inspect under the back of the car you may find traces of reddish dye that indicates tracking of petrol from a leak in the tank. Some tanks develop leaks due to stress cracking where the support straps secure the tank.

This is relatively easy to fix by soldering a tin or copper patch over the cracks
    (soldering iron heat but no flame!! of course ) but taking the tank out and putting it back does take a bit of work, swearing etc Ive done that repair on two cars so far and don't look forward to doing it on another!!

Regards ken.

Thread Information