Renault Scenic II - keyless entry and keyless start activation ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By COL

Thread: Renault Scenic II - keyless entry and keyless start activation ?

Tadpole

Default Renault Scenic II - keyless entry and keyless start activation ?

I love my Scenic 2007 for so many reasons however I would love to have the keyless entry and keyless start feature that more modern cars have. I could upgrade to the current koleos which has that feature but surprisingly the cabin space is less than the Scenic, particularly the rear seat leg room. I hear the new Koleos due later this year might be roomier but it also looks like a much larger vehicle overall compared to the Scenic, which is essentially a small car but deceptively roomy inside. In any case I don't want an SUV. My scenic has the push button start, but requires the key card to be inserted and you still have to push the button on the key card to unlock/lock the doors. I'm hoping that given the technology is already there in the car, that there is someway to modify/activate it so it works. I asked the dealer when I bought the car but they were unhelpful and that was some years ago before this feature became standard as it is now in Australia. The functionality for "smart key" is there, the door handles have what looks to be a sensor behind them, but for some reason this was not activated for the australian imports. Does anyone know if auto electricians can make it work for my car? And what would be required to do so. And can anyone tell me why this function was disabled on australian imports. My research tells me that if I bought my car in France it would work. Thank you to anyone who can offer advice.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Diana,

Nobody's answering so I'll have a go! My brother has a Megane with what you want and had the previous Megane with what you now have.

I can't answer for sure but just to get the ball rolling, there is a difference between keyless entry and hands free card, which is what you want. Keyless entry is just like any other key fob remote except it's in card format and you don't insert the key (there's one's in the card). 'Normal' keys have a chip in them which is detected by a unit in the steering column. Yours is detected by a similar unit near the card slot. Instead of then turning the key, you press a button. But it's essentially the same.

I'm pretty sure hands free was an extra cost option and would have involved extra hardware, like the door handle light beam/sensors and radio frequency (RF) transmitter/receiver for the card which I THINK would be different to your card. This allows you to walk up to the car, it senses the card in your pocket by RF, and allows you to open the door by sensing your hand as it curls around the handle and breaks a light beam, thus unlocking the door.

So, in my limited knowledge, you can't just activate this feature.

Maybe in France they came standard with the additional bits to allow hands free operation.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

A cousin of mine has a Laguna equipped in the way you want. It does work well. I suspect Stuey's right that it would need quite a bit of work to add the components, if indeed you could get them and if the wiring harness would accommodate the extras.

The 2007 Scenic is a great vehicle! Quite unique and very cleverly conceived and built, I reckon. Better cherish what we've got I think, as we're stuck with the Koleos in Oz now. It's probably perfectly good, but it is no Scenic.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thanks Stuey, I'm new to this forum so was pleased to see your response, I'm guessing I'm stuck with what I've got then. Thanks again.

Tadpole

hi John, thanks for replying to my post. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who sees the scenic as unique and clever. It absolutely is. It's a shame that renault aren't looking to revamp it for us who appreciate its qualities. It's a small car, but I've transported a full dinning table and chairs in it, some large ikea furniture, also a 6foot Christmas tree, yet I cant start the dam thing without putting the card in its slot!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dianaharris75 View Post
    hi John, thanks for replying to my post. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who sees the scenic as unique and clever. It absolutely is. It's a shame that renault aren't looking to revamp it for us who appreciate its qualities. It's a small car, but I've transported a full dinning table and chairs in it, some large ikea furniture, also a 6foot Christmas tree, yet I cant start the dam thing without putting the card in its slot!
    Hi Diana,
    I would like you to know that there is a whole army of previous/current Scenic owners who, like you, appreciate the uniquely practical and usefulness of the Scenics, and, again like you, lament the decision by Renault Australia not to continue to import that wonderful family vehicle. Instead they foisted the Koloes on us and because we had no other choice, we have had to reluctantly accept that offering. Most of us who converted to the Koloes have found it too, to be a very durable, practical and enjoyable car. But a Scenic it ain't!

Regarding the remote feature you are looking for: that is purely a function of the level of luxury inherent in any given model, in other words, you pay more, you get more features. Yours must be an Expression which is the base model with only a moderate level of features. To get what you want you might try and find a higher spec model, perhaps a Dynamique or even the top spec Privileg. I am sure there are still some around.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Hi Diana,
    I would like you to know that there is a whole army of previous/current Scenic owners who, like you, appreciate the uniquely practical and usefulness of the Scenics, and, again like you, lament the decision by Renault Australia not to continue to import that wonderful family vehicle. Instead they foisted the Koloes on us and because we had no other choice, we have had to reluctantly accept that offering. Most of us who converted to the Koloes have found it too, to be a very durable, practical and enjoyable car. But a Scenic it ain't!

Regarding the remote feature you are looking for: that is purely a function of the level of luxury inherent in any given model, in other words, you pay more, you get more features. Yours must be an Expression which is the base model with only a moderate level of features. To get what you want you might try and find a higher spec model, perhaps a Dynamique or even the top spec Privileg. I am sure there are still some around.
    I wonder whether the "Nissan Koleos" has a higher resale value than the Renault one....

My view is that a well-maintained Scenic should be a 20-year car, so there's no need to panic yet. I don't see the newer series Scenics getting here though....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Hi Breitie,

i know this is a very late reply to you but thank you regardless for your response. My scenic is the Dynamique Phase 2 or rather was until it was written-off three weeks ago. I believe that was the top trim level for its year. In any case, I now have no car and it seems nothing on the market is comparable, except for, of course a second hand scenic. Interestingly, my car was written off after we drove directly over a rogue wheel on the freeway. We hardly felt a bump so it's testamount to the smooth ride of a Scenic at least.

I think you should be able to find a pretty good second-hand one. We have twice!

Sorry about the write off - no-one hurt by the sound of it?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Hi John W,

like you, I was projecting long term ownership, having clocked up eight years ownership, and not one single problem. The only negative is expensive parts replacement and when compared to newer vehicles of same size, fuel economy is a bit lacking. Now that I've been forced into the market for a new/ used car, there just doesn't seem to be anything comparable. the koleos has a lot of the specs but rear leg room is the smallest in its class of mid size SUVs, and it's an suv, a larger car all round. I so loved my scenic, the hands free fuel cap, rain sensor wipers, electronic park brake, sliding centre console with 15 litre capacity, exceptionally roomy interior, small car handling, flexible seating configuration so awesome that we were able to transport a 6 foot Christmas tree plus children, and then, albeit at a separate time, some fairly large IKEA flat pack furniture easily, plus the aforementioned dinning table and chairs. I've sucessfully towed a caravan on the back of that car too. And that nice little windscreen washer feature, where the blades swipe back and forth a few times and then wait a bit, and then go once again to catch those very last few drops. It is certainly an exceptional car with no equal.

Tadpole

No one hurt and we were very lucky by all accounts. I like that you have bought second hand scenics twice. Any further info on your expereinces would be well appreciated.

COL

Hi Diana

If you are not in a hurry to replace your beloved Scenic, I would keep an eye on Gumtree and Ebay. If you are patient another good Scenic will turn up at a bargain price.

It would even be worth driving it back from Adelaide or Sydney for the right car.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Nothing particular to report really, with the S/H Scenics. Both are Series II manuals, avoiding the autos for various reasons. Both have given no trouble except for the need to replace the electronic modules that control the cabin fan speed. One had never had a cambelt change in 8 years from new - fixed IMMEDIATELY! In Perth, we have Eurocars, with the only all-French secondhand yard, so buying is something to approach with confidence.

We really like our Scenics. I've driven in a Series III in Paris too, and it is a few more gismos on a Series II as far as I can tell.

Good luck with the hunt. I reckon you should be able to find one with rather less than 100K on it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

COL

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Diana

If you are not in a hurry to replace your beloved Scenic, I would keep an eye on Gumtree and Ebay. If you are patient another good Scenic will turn up at a bargain price.

It would even be worth driving it back from Adelaide or Sydney for the right car.
    Here is an example. 2007 Renault Grand Scenic Dynique - 7 seater | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Clarence Area - Lindisfarne | 1125763679
    JohnW likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like the goods to me! For that price you cannot go wrong. And from Tasmania too, where the weather is mild and kind to upholstery and paintwork. So, Diana, a short hop over Bass Strait may be in order. Make a weekend of it. Good luck!

Tadpole

After spending an obsessive amount of time deciding on what car I should buy after my scenic write off,, and considering other brands, I've come back to the renault and thinking Koleos phase 2 2012 or 2013 privilege. It has some of the same quirky styling and features of the scenic but also modern things like proximity key and sat Nav, and I'm liking the leather and sun roof. Unlike the 2014/15 koleos, the phase 2 retains the clever interior thinking, I know they're minor, but the tray tables, easy estate folding rear seats, door bins and forward folding front passenger seat all remind me of why I loved the scenic. Now I know what exact car I want, I'm finding this car is a favourite for towing, In my search, although it's early days two have had an electric brake device fitted for towing, one was clearly used for pulling a horse float and the other I looked at had obviously enjoyed a fairly robust trip around a good part of Australia, the interior was very well lived in. Now Ive arranged to drive 2.5 hours tomorrow to look at another car, I've got immediate responses to a few questions about this car but my question if it has an electric tow brake fitted has gone unanswered. So I'm guessing it does.

i understand why you would choose this car for towing, the braking power exceeds the x-trail and contributes to the five star ancap. But should I buy a second hand car that has been obviously put to work with towing? What problems might it have as a result and how would that affect the price.

Aside from that, given I'm certain of the model, year (2012/13), phase 2, privilege, preferably diesel (for the fuel economy and longevity - I'm planning on driving my purchase to its last legs, and the CVt of the petrol variant is less desirable for me) the only question left is should I go private sale or dealership.....

Thread Information