• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By Daciaman

Thread: Dacia 1304 ute in Northern Ireland

Default Dacia 1304 ute in Northern Ireland

Hi everyone. New member here. I am in Northern Ireland and own a Dacia 1304 2wd ute as you guys call them. This side off the world they were called the Dacia Shifter 1ton pickup. It's a 1990 model and I am hoping to get it fully restored in the very near future. I am looking for RHD spec twin headlights for it at the minute and I think some off your Australian R12's had these so any help would be much appreciated. As I said I'm a new member and just finding myself around this forum. If anyone would be interested in seeing the Dacia in a walk around video you can find it on YouTube at Dacia Shifter (1304) pickup
    Let me know what you's all think!

Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs mobile app

You might want to give Dave Cavanagh a poke, he's in the throes of restoring his 4x4 Dacia ute here, and might be able to help you find what fits.

From faint memory, if you're lucky you might find a pair of R12 sealed beams around here lying forgotten in some dark, damp warehouse with the rest of the slow moving stock. I think they are a rather common size.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

If you are only after the sealed beam then they are common as backsides in any spare parts store as they were on many cars here, back in the 70's. Standard 5 and 1/4inch convex lens as used on our later R12's are ok, but concave Renault lenses as used on R17 are not available at all. Should be the same in UK and probably Ireland. But if you are after the brackets and trim for them then Dave should be able to help.

Wouldn't the brackets and mountings be the same in LH or RH drive?
    My understanding has always been that the glass lens and/or the position of the bulb differ between LHD and RHD types.
    By memory, the Virage quad lights were sealed beams and as mentioned by Sunroof, are easily found.

Cheers
    Ren
    Sunroof likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

I checked out your video and that ute looks like a good restorer, there seems to be little rust in it.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

If I recall, those twin lamps on the late R12s had the North American base fitment (the rectangular lights not complying in USA) and here had bog standard locally-made Lucas sealed beam lamps for local content. I threw ours away and fitted Hellas with QI bulbs - good lights.

(Daciaman, the last 1.4 litre cars with the twin headlamps were called Virage in Oz. For your info, David Cavanagh runs French Connection in Melbourne, one of the supporters of this website. You'll find a link here somewhere.)

Welcome! Given where you live, I presume the Dacia has been in a nice dry barn?
    Sunroof likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Wouldn't the brackets and mountings be the same in LH or RH drive?
    My understanding has always been that the glass lens and/or the position of the bulb differ between LHD and RHD types.
    By memory, the Virage quad lights were sealed beams and as mentioned by Sunroof, are easily found.

Cheers
    Ren
    I agree only the bulb position and perhaps in some cases the fresnel (spelling) on the lenses may be different. But the brackets and trim should be the same.

Hey Daciaman did I speak to you about 100 years ago?

I'd say back in the 90's someone from Ireland sent me some photos of one the same color. They were talking about restoring it and it was the only one they knew of. I might still have the photos.

Your lucky, yours has no where near the rust mine had, surprising considering the climate differences.

Somewhere in the Aussiefrogs files is a story on mine but it's too lost in history for me to find it, maybe someone else could.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Wouldn't the brackets and mountings be the same in LH or RH drive? My understanding has always been that the glass lens and/or the position of the bulb differ between LHD and RHD types. By memory, the Virage quad lights were sealed beams and as mentioned by Sunroof, are easily found. Cheers Ren
    I think you are quite right. I heard they all came from Canada, at the time. I'm sure the LH vs RH matter is all in the adjusting screws on the lamp surrounds, not the base.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hey guys, thanks for the response on the Dacia! You's have been very helpfull. With regards to the Dacia being in a dry barn I actually dont know much about its history only that emerged in England a few years back and the guy who I bought it off got it up and running and got an MOT (rego) on it only for a suspected gearbox failure on the way home, hence I bought it! Most Dacias didnt see their 4th birthday in UK and Ireland and at the moment this is one off only 2 known off in the Uk and Ireland. The other is a mighty fine late model restored by a great guy called Alex in London, his resto is on Facebook at Dacia Shifterossa I think from memory. Lastly, David C, yes I am the blast frim the past from Ireland and I hope to be in contact with you soin on this forum. Im a trucker sending this from my phone so thanks in the meantime guys and if you could let me know how to upload some pictures I will share more off my Dacia. Oh yes, Ive got an 87 Peugeot 305 GR too. Also on youtube! Talk soon!
    JohnW and Sunroof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Somewhere in the Aussiefrogs files is a story on mine but it's too lost in history for me to find it, maybe someone else could.
    Is this the one?

Dacia 4x4 pick up

Edit:-

Dacia Shifterossa rebuild

Look what the cat dragged in - Dacia Shifterossa!!!! - AutoShite -
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 26th April 2016 at 08:48 PM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Yes, thats Alex's Dacia. I think it may also be on youtube aswell as facebook. It is a lovely machine now it is finished. I will get him to join this forum for him to share his story.

1000+ Posts

We're definitely interested Daciaman.

Edit: I've just read all 16 pages of that thread. Great stuff. And I like the forum too...might have to have a look round. Can't beat the UK sense of humour, and I like that they reckon the R12 is OK!
    Last edited by Stuey; 26th April 2016 at 11:57 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Compared to the Dacia brand the R12 is excellent, you can actually go from A 2 B and back to A again in a Renault. With Mr. Dacia expect to break down just as you are leaving A!!

I owned an R12 TS mk2 a few years back. I also owned the only Dacia Denem that is known to exist. The Denem was a UK spec Dacia brought in 83/84, sold to a motoring journalist in England who hopes to restore it. If you google image Dacia Denem you shall see it, reg A128SHU.

1000+ Posts

I had an R12 estate for ten years or so. I would have another in a second. So simple and reliable, and not a bad drive either. Love the Sierra engine.

That Denem looks similar to an R12 model here in Aus called the Virage. The grille Alex used was the same as on the Virage (noting he mentioned it was from Australian and Canadian spec cars). If you Google Renault Virage there are quite a few photos.
    Last edited by Stuey; 27th April 2016 at 02:19 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yeah, that is a very rare grille now as it was an export spec. The Virage is very similar in looks to the Denem and i think the twin lights suit the R12 very well. If u notice on the Denem they have R12 mk2 lights at the back with mk2 style bumpers but the side vents in the rear pillars are the mk1 type.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I had an R12 estate for ten years or so. I would have another in a second. So simple and reliable, and not a bad drive either. Love the Sierra engine. That Denem looks similar to an R12 model here in Aus called the Virage. The grille Alex used was the same as on the Virage (noting he mentioned it was from Australian and Canadian spec cars). If you Google Renault Virage there are quite a few photos.
    Good to have you back Stuey.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information