Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick

Hi all

Had a great time in my A110 doing Targa Tassie with the Renault Targa Team (3 A110s, a R5T2, Megane 225 and a Porsche). Plenty of photos are on Facebook.com/renaulttargateam

Advertisement

At the completion of the awesome Arrowsmith stage on Thursday 14 April, I stopped at our service crew for a splash of fuel and oil but forgot to replace the dipstick which was nowhere to be found. We were too late for the next stage anyway ( the zero or sweep car had gone past) and of course there was oil around the engine and over the coil which meant the car was starting to misfire. We improvised by duct taping a philips head screw driver in the dipstick hole which plugged the oil hole (it lasted the rest of the week) and continued on to Strahan getting a preview of the next morning's stage to Queenstown.

Using a coat hanger wire, it looks like the length of the dipstick from the hole to the bottom of the sump is 47.5cm. Can someone confirm and also advise distance of minimum and maximum notches. Better still, if someone has a spare dipstick for an R8G motor, I would appreciate it. A gentleman at our stop did lend me a dipstick from his Subaru which established I still had ample oil before we proceeded to Strahan. A visit to our local wreckers might be the order of the day for a similar dipstick if none are available here.

COL

Hi Bazzamac

Is this one close to what you are looking for

Renault Moteur "B" Billancourt 800S61 Jauge D'Huile Moteur | eBay
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Barry,
    Will be able to measure an original 8G dipstick for you tomorrow (Thursday ) afternoon.
    Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Bazzamac

That looks like one for an R4.

I've attached a few pics with measurements. From the top of the "cap" to the tip of the stick is is 437.5mm, width 5.5mm. From top of "cap" to top of handle is 69mm.

Note that the width of the stick is identical to that used on the early 15/17 auto trans dipstick (pre plastic paddle type). I'd guess if you can find one of those, you should be able to make a fairly good facsimile of the original dipstick. Also note the chamfer on the low mark of the dipstick, so that the stick doesn't snag on the upper tube when it is being pulled out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick-dsc07985.jpg   Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick-dsc07982.jpg   Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick-dsc07986.jpg   Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick-dsc07988.jpg   Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick-dsc07989.jpg   Targa Tassie - wanted R8G dipstick-dsc07992.jpg  

1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

If all else fails...one of us locals might go for a recovery mission drive
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Brilliant Simon! I agree the one advertised doesn't seem right: I think that dipstick for sale is from a Ventoux motor not a Sierra motor: I quote from the advertisement "845 cc ŗ 3 paliers".

It looks like a Sierra dipstick in the advertisement, but I guess they might have added an antisplash tube like an R10 engine and used a similar pattern dipstick for the later examples. Oddly, your dipstick looks like the one for our 1964, early R1130 motor but our R10 block Sierra engine has a dipstick of the same style as the one in the advertisement.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

thanks Simon and everyone else for your advice. Measurements will be handy should I need to make a copy. I have at least 3 Fuego dipsticks but they are far too short. The one shown in the ad referred by Col looks like one from the R8Major motor which was originally in the car and it is too short.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Bazzamac

The description said R6 and I was not sure if it would fit or could be adapted.

It was the only one that I could find.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Barry,
    8G dipstick dimensions measured from bottom of felt sealing washer.
    75mm to top of handle.
    387mm to top of notch - oil max
    403mm to bottom of notch - oil min
    430mm to tip of dipstick - your oil is way too low and you are about to become a very sad Alpine owner with a stuffed engine...

Hope this helps,
    Steve.
    Last edited by Steve K; 21st April 2016 at 05:55 PM.

From the dimensions supplied, it sounds like the dipsticks are the same. Just a thought from me though, I wonder if an A110 1300G/S dipstick is different from the 8G, as I'm unsure of the oil cooler/line setup. In the 8G, it allocates 0.7 litres to the cooler and lines in addition to the 2.5 litres in the sump (obviously if a Big Sump is fitted this sump capacity will be different!). So also check your cooler and line capacity (especially if customised) to make sure any markings on the dipstick are accurate.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Steve and Simon

My car has an oil cooler. For Targa, I replaced the alloy sump with a standard sump just in case the more expensive one might be damaged. Agree it is essential for oil markings to be accurate, hence my request for dimensions should I need to make up a dipstick.

Thread Information