R16 parts, service items and oils
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By furneauxfrogger

Thread: R16 parts, service items and oils

Default R16 parts, service items and oils

I always regretted selling my 1st R16TS (a '69 model) in 1978. A few weeks ago , I took the plunge and bought a wonderful 1976 16TS from a fellow taswegian, it passed it's roadworthy on the 1st attempt and is such a delight to drive and a credit to it's previous owner.

Just wondering are regular service items ie air/oil filters, radiator hoses, belts etc etc available in Australia ?
    Also recommendations re lubricants would be welcome.
    Would really appreciate any information fellow froggers can share.
    cheers
    marc

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by furneauxfrogger View Post
    I always regretted selling my 1st R16TS (a '69 model) in 1978. A few weeks ago , I took the plunge and bought a wonderful 1976 16TS from a fellow taswegian, it passed it's roadworthy on the 1st attempt and is such a delight to drive and a credit to it's previous owner.

Just wondering are regular service items ie air/oil filters, radiator hoses, belts etc etc available in Australia ?
    Also recommendations re lubricants would be welcome.
    Would really appreciate any information fellow froggers can share.
    cheers
    marc
    marc send me a pm

cheers! Peter

Marc, you should't need an air filter on Flinders with such clean air (btw I think the air filter in it is quite virginal). The oil filter has done less than 1000km , the engine oil and transmission fluid the same. I always wondered about the longevity of water hoses. Those on the car are 40 yo next birthday (June from memory). Not bad eh! Just keep the Gator tape handy

Luv that steering wheel cover from S....C...Best $15 worth on the car and last one of that size in captivity (Devonport at least). A bit cheaper than the beautiful new leather ones seen on this forum.

Does anyone know if the wheels on 76 TS's were made in Australia or part of the CKD kit.
    Don Willing
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

If you mean those charcoal grey and silver "sport" wheels, I'm pretty sure they were imported.

I reckon the 16 hose longevity is amazing. When they came out I remember people worried about the problems their length would cause and how expensive they would be etc etc.

Is salt a problem on Flinders? Rustproofing isn't a strong point for some parts of a 16. You'd be surprised how much salt is contained in coastal rain too - it is far from distilled water.

Great to hear of another good 16!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Don,
    Amazing that the hoses are original !; makes me even keener to locate a spare set "just in case" ......
    The car is such a credit to you, I feel very privileged to be it's "guardian" into the foreseeable future !
    cheers
    marc

1000+ Posts

May we have some photos?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

will load some this weekend
    cheers
    marc

Hi John, salt is an issue on Flinders Island, although the 16TS is housed in a modern garage and being registered as a Special Interest Vehicle will only be driven relatively small annual "mileage".
    The car's previous owner Don ( aussiefrogger "ceenine") has taken great care of the car incl ongoing rustproofing, and I'll continue this task. The 16TS shares garage space with a '73 Peugeot 504 automatique ( currently unregistered, but in good condition) that has been in the family since '74.
    JohnW likes this.

I fear the first question has been deviated from.

Oils, any good quality 20w-50 and castrol VMX 75 from the usual shops. See Dave C about oil and air filters, he sometimes has them. Coolant like the castrol and BP green used strongly, keep a stock of one brand so top ups are easy. In the 76 points are ducelier so if Dave cannot help, one must go os I keep a stock if you are desperate.
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Quote Originally Posted by Melc View Post
    I fear the first question has been deviated from. Oils, any good quality 20w-50 and castrol VMX 75 from the usual shops. See Dave C about oil and air filters, he sometimes has them. Coolant like the castrol and BP green used strongly, keep a stock of one brand so top ups are easy. In the 76 points are ducelier so if Dave cannot help, one must go os I keep a stock if you are desperate.
    We do get deviated easily.

I'd add an enthusiastic recommendation for a Hot Spark kit to replace the points/condenser setup with a magnetic switch/electronic system. I put one in the R8's Ducellier distributer some years ago with good results. Does the car run better - really I can't tell, but it might. It might start a wee bit better, but it always was a good starter. The real benefit is no points and no condenser to think about ever again. You'll find them if you go to Google or ebay. There is a specification for coil resistance buried in the instructions. I bought a new coil from the Hot Spark site too, to be sure and to replace a 45 year old SEV coil (not there there were any signs of trouble).

They are fairly easy to fit, although mine was a bit of a fiddle as I needed to shave a bit of the red block to clear the rotating magnet. You can do it in situ but if you drop a screw it sure is dropped.

Good luck. And sorry for the deviation.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Marc, if you have trouble locating parts, PM me.
    I think I still have some Ducellier points, a genuine Renault air filter,etc in my stash.
    Would have to check numbers, also original starter motor armature etc. etc.
    Cheers, Steve.

don

hello furneauxfrogger

I have an original owners booklet its yours free if you want it just PM me with a mailing address

i was on ebay.com last evening and there are a few NOS bits and pieces for 16s

Thanks for getting the conversation out of "deviation" mode...lol
    Appreciate the advice, thanks marc

Have 4 R16's located in east Gippsland along with a stash of panels and other spare parts. Two sets of the "special" wheels in average / terrible condition included. Contact me if anything else is needed
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Thread Information